Cat is jealous of new dog sibling

permanentrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. So I'm looking for some tips if any of you have any to offer.

About a year ago, I rescued a three year old cat named Juniper, who has overall adjusted beautifully with only a few minor hiccups along the way. She's playful affectionate, and adaptable, and she has been socializing well with my mom's dog for several months now.

Anyway, I volunteer weekly at a local animal shelter, where I walk dogs, and about a month ago, I hosted one of our long term residents for an overnight visit to my apartment to give her a cage break. Her name is Ruffles, and she's 5 year old pitbull with a very mellow personality and had done well with other dogs and generally ignored small animals like squirrels outside, so hosting her with my cat with proper separation and precautions seemed like a safe choice, especially since my cat has done well with dogs. The night went wonderfully. Juniper hopped the gate I had set up to separate her from the dog almost immediately and after hissing briefly and eliciting no reaction from the dog, decided that she didn't mind our guest. Both pets slept in bed with me that night with no issues.

Over the past month, poor Ruffles was adopted and returned twice to the shelter for unrelated reasons that were mainly due to incompetent owners. So I decided to adopt her. I brought her home this past weekend (Feb 7) and it's been going really well. Ruffles really doesn't pay attention to Juniper at all, and Juniper is politely curious about Ruffles. Adjusting my schedule to having a dog in my life and making sure she's properly exercised and crate trained has been taking up a lot of my time though, and I do know that I haven't been paying quite as much attention to Juniper. Juniper has been getting into more stuff lately, knocking things off surfaces, spilling things, etc, and it could be a result of irritation, jealousy or boredom. I know it's Juniper getting into things since the dog is crated when I'm not around. I want to try to make sure I schedule some play time with Juniper daily, but I was wondering if any of you had any other tips about ways to pamper the kitty a little as she adjusts to not being the center of attention anymore. Nothing she is doing is too concerning, but I of course worry that this transition is harder for her that it appears to be on the surface.

Thanks!

IMG_6031.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Things don't sound bad at all! The only suggestion I could make would be to ensure you have lots of enrichment/entertainment for Juniper. Does she have cat trees/perches to use? Especially ideal is when one or two can be placed in front of a window. These types of things might keep her off some of the other areas she is disrupting. Some toys that she might be able to play with in your absence, and of course - extra attention from you when you are home.
8 Superb Automated Cat Toys That You’re Going To Love! – Cat Articles
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) – Cat Articles

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I wish things went that smoothly for me! It took a year for my cats to stop going after my dog and about two years for them to fully accept her. And the dog is about as small as the cats are. I think it's important to remember that this is all very new for both of them. The fact that they get along so well is fantastic. I agree with @ FeebysOwner FeebysOwner . It sounds like Juniper isn't getting the attention she's used to and is having a difficult time adjusting her routine. Adding enrichment would probably help her. You can get or make some food dispensers for her to use to work her mind without your presence being needed and get some of the interactive toys, but I think the most important things for you to do are: 1. Be patient and 2. Give Juniper as much attention as you can. Try to keep things somewhat normal for her. It's a lot of change for a cat to handle all at once. I know it's hard to keep up with. I currently have three cats and a dog, I'm a full-time college student, work part-time, and volunteer once or twice a week. It's a lot! But making sure they get their own time with you is beneficial for everyone, including you.

It's truly wonderful that you've given these animals such a loving home and you're willing to put the time and effort into caring for them. Sometimes we get into situations where maybe we can't offer them the "perfect" home, but we do what we can and make it worth it for them. Juniper will adjust as she already seems well on her way to doing so. I know it's hard seeing dogs being given up for no fault of their own. My shelter just recently brought a young dog in from another shelter and, all within a month, he was adopted and returned twice, found to have separation anxiety, and began having seizures! It's tough to see, but you've given these two the chance to have a wonderful life.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you take Juniper for walks?

By the way, in case it helps from Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 ;
Museum putty is good for things like this, and doesn't damage the items it is applied to, since it was developed for (can you guess it?)...museums.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

permanentrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice! I’ll look into some of these more stimulating items/ideas. I’ll also try to make sure I’m carving out consistent time to give juniper attention. I think it helps that I’m having the dog sleep in her crate at night to help with crate training, so juniper gets me all to herself during the night and doesn’t have to share that space with the dog...yet lol

permanentrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you take Juniper for walks?

By the way, in case it helps from Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 ;
Museum putty is good for things like this, and doesn't damage the items it is applied to, since it was developed for (can you guess it?)...museums.
I do have a harness and leash for her but never followed through with training her consistently to get her used to it. Maybe after things settle with the dog and the weather gets nicer, I can try again. How funny would it be to have them both out for a walk? 🤣

permanentrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, I wish things went that smoothly for me! It took a year for my cats to stop going after my dog and about two years for them to fully accept her. And the dog is about as small as the cats are.
I know, I’m so lucky they get along so well. I know that’s pretty rare to have success with that so quickly. I honestly wouldn’t have gotten the dog if I didn’t know she was good with my cat. My apartment is way too small to force two animals to coexist while they adjust to each other.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, I’m so lucky they get along so well. I know that’s pretty rare to have success with that so quickly. I honestly wouldn’t have gotten the dog if I didn’t know she was good with my cat. My apartment is way too small to force two animals to coexist while they adjust to each other.
It's great that it worked out so well! Space can be an issue (I live in a small house with one other person and four animals), but at least with cats you can give them vertical space as well. Having a crate trained dog is beneficial as well. My dog was not--and is not--crate trained, but fortunately she grew up with two cats and had some basic commands.