Cat is in the emergency clinic after vomiting 7 times

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Topaz is very active and playful today. Stayed up literally from 6am to 12pm hanging out, playing, talking to me (was super vocal when I tried to go back to bed, which scared me a bit, but he's done this before in the morning too. It's always just in the mornings). I've played with him a ton.

His nose is healing well, it seems, I will share a picture of it tonight as an update. I really think what he has is actually this:
Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex

Thanks to a member of the forum in this post. Same raw marks and it makes total sense given his history, and how the only abnormality in his exams done in both January and March 2023 were the inflammation in his intestines, which all vets attribute to a food allergy. Granted, in the first pics I shared, there was a vivid triangle on the nose and the first layer of skin seemed to still be there, which isn't the same as those other cats, but I think maybe I caught it and took pictures before the other people did. Day 2 looked more like the other cats there.

Eosinophilic granuloma complex in cats can be caused by insects (particularly fleas) and hereditary factors.

The major allergic reactions can be due to dietary or environmental changes, including antibiotic treatment, heart medications, pollen, and allergy-inducing foods.
So, basically, I will continue the food trial with rabbit meat - I don't know if it will do him any good, but thankfully he actually seems to like the new kibble, so that's one less concern - and keep an eye on the nose to make sure it continues healing. If it does heal and comes back, as it's happened for some members that replied to that post I mentioned, then that's a trip to the vet and maybe medication. But, yeah, I don't think it's something more nefarious than an allergy. It's either this or he hurt it somehow, we can probably rule out calicivirus - literally no other symptoms - and a chemical burn - my flatmate and I deep cleaned the apartment this morning and there is literally nothing that could have caused a burn on his nose. Nothing on the power plugs, no products where they shouldn't be (so he has no access to anything).

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that you have done a lot of ruling out. Calcivirus would normally present more symptoms and you would certainly know if there were a danger to him in the apartment. The pic looks very similar to Topaz's nose and if it were something serious, he would have moved into a more critical state by now.

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree that you have done a lot of ruling out. Calcivirus would normally present more symptoms and you would certainly know if there were a danger to him in the apartment. The pic looks very similar to Topaz's nose and if it were something serious, he would have moved into a more critical state by now.
Yes, that's my reasoning too. His vet is convinced it's an allergic reaction ("It's allergies for sure, I have no doubt about it. The question is: to what?"), so she isn't concerned about his condition. I shared it with her that I thought it was Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex and she thinks it could be, but in the very early stages, mainly because there isn't an actual "granuloma". She said that, regardless of whether it's environmental (which she's been leaning towards since day 1) or food-related, it will keep coming back (or not go away) unless the allergen is removed. That's what some people mentioned in that forum post, too.

We talked about this today, and the conclusion is that, yes, I keep taking care of him at home and give it time to heal to see what happens. It isn't infected and he isn't sick, so it's not an emergency. A normal wound would be significantly improved after a week - maybe a bit more in this case because it's on the nose, so the constant licking delays healing. If it does heal, I'd just monitor to see if it comes back... if it doesn't, then maybe he scraped it somehow and that's that. If it does come back, or if it doesn't fully heal within a reasonable time frame in the first place, then that's a trip to the vet and possible supportive treatment while we work out the cause.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That sounds like a very good plan and Topaz can sit out at least one vet appointment and relax at home!

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a very good plan and Topaz can sit out at least one vet appointment and relax at home!
Let’s hope so! I feel like waiting this out a bit would also give a vet more to work with if/once we go. Less unnecessary exams being done and therefore less stress. I will soon become persona non grata at his insurance company 💀

Here are some pics of today! The skin is less irritated, now less shades darker than the normal skin. It seems to be healing well, no questionable moisture and he isn’t licking it excessively. I’m cleaning it witha salt water solution (recommended by the french vet when I called them) each time he eats, and applying Nebacetin 2x day. Both things with the purpose of lessening the chances of the wound getting infected.

Attachments

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is definitely not worse which is a good thing! Since he is stable, you are right to wait as it will give the vet more to consider if he does have to be taken in because it suddenly flares up again.

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is definitely not worse which is a good thing! Since he is stable, you are right to wait as it will give the vet more to consider if he does have to be taken in because it suddenly flares up again.
Glad it makes sense <3 thanks for your responses to this thread!

Nose is still good, I forgot to take a pic yesterday - I cleaned it with salt water solution after he ate this morning and applied the cream again. It's definitely healing. It's dry, and the scab is taking on a very slight red-yellowish hue that reminds me of healing skin. The top part of his nose is almost back to its normal color, too. Now we just need to see what will happen when the scab goes away - whether the skin below will be healthy, or, if like that other forum member shared, it just starts all over again.

I'm gonna reach out to a holistic vet today and schedule a remote consultation to share his exams and discuss the possibility of home-cooked meals for him. Apparently the access to rabbit meat here in France isn't problematic, nor is it exorbitantly expensive, so I feel like it might be both healthier for him and less costly for me if I try this - but I don't want to do it without professional guidance. It seems that this particular vet has been working with both traditional as well as alternative veterinary medicine for over 20 years.

I figure now is as good a time as ever, and I like the idea that he won't need to go anywhere for now. There's another vet I've already contacted that could assist with this, too, and she's given me a positive response, but she's in the South of France and her website doesn't mention traditional vet medicine - which I don't want to ditch. So I hope this other vet has time for me! Fingers crossed.

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Photo update! Very dry :) It looks so much like a scab on a person's skin.

4th day of the new food, diarrhea has started. I guess the drill now is wait to see if it actually goes away!

Edit: Bonus pics of Topaz and Lola during their hanging out sesh tonight. Topaz was purring lol

Attachments

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
One step forward and one step back. The nose looks as if it is drying and the old skin is peeling. Topaz looks wonderful and is clearly happy enough to play with the dog and to try to look cute. I hope that the diarrhea can be controlled.

Is the vet in the south of France an actual medical vet who simply practices holistic medicine (that is a rather popular thing for some human doctors to do out here and results in booming practices) or are they a nutritionist/naturopath?

I agree about not abandoning traditional medicine.

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One step forward and one step back. The nose looks as if it is drying and the old skin is peeling. Topaz looks wonderful and is clearly happy enough to play with the dog and to try to look cute. I hope that the diarrhea can be controlled.

Is the vet in the south of France an actual medical vet who simply practices holistic medicine (that is a rather popular thing for some human doctors to do out here and results in booming practices) or are they a nutritionist/naturopath?

I agree about not abandoning traditional medicine.
The diarrhea was expected since he is so incredibly sensitive, but I’m using some S Boulardii and slowing the transition down a little bit to see if that calms his tummy. I think he feels fine, though - he continues to be playful and to eat well. Has been sleeping with me, too, and purring as usual.

I’m not sure about the vet in South of France. She calls herself a vet, so I think in theory she can do both. The vet in Paris is much more clear about that on his website, though, so I’m hoping I will like him.

Tbh I want to find a holistic doctor for myself, too 😆

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Holistic medicine is fine as long as it is kept in perspective and traditional medicine is not avoided. Are you able to check licenses or other documentation online in France that might clear up what the South of France vet is licensed to practice?

Hope that the diarrhea is a little better today.

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Holistic medicine is fine as long as it is kept in perspective and traditional medicine is not avoided. Are you able to check licenses or other documentation online in France that might clear up what the South of France vet is licensed to practice?

Hope that the diarrhea is a little better today.
I'm not sure, but I'm not taking him there anyway. I mean, it's across the country - she was just a 2nd option to talk about food in case I couldn't get ahold of the vet in Paris. But I did! I spoke to him on the phone today and gave him some context, but he wants the first visit to be in person so that he can have a look at all his documents and ask me questions. He said that he specializes in home cooked meals for his patients, so he can work on a recipe after he meets Topaz and then any follow-ups can be done through the phone/email. He says he'll give me all the instructions on how to prepare, ratio it, how much food he needs for his weight and how often he should eat, etc. I hope it's all as good as it sounds.

We're going later this week - so I guess a vet will end up having a look at his nose after all. Tomorrow will be a week since it got hurt, but I think it's healing at a really nice pace! Here's a pic of this morning. I swear I'm not choking him, my finger was under his chin just to keep his head from moving before I took the pic 😆 And a short video of our little play session earlier today!

His diarrhea isn't necessarily better yet, but, historically, it takes him longer. Yesterday he pooped 4x, today 2x. His appetite was really good and I actually heard him drinking some water during the night, bless him. I add water to his food, which is already wet, so he normally doesn't drink anything.

He's been running around so much while playing that I talked to his physical therapist in Brazil earlier today to ask if that's okay, since it's only been 3 months since he had surgery on his legs. She said it's a good sign during the recovery process, thankfully!

Attachments

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
His nose looks way better, almost unnoticeable with no discharge or anything else going along with it. He looks like a little lion king in those closeups. Topaz certainly was into his game with the wand toy and looked like a happy, healthy cat.

It is so much more convenient that you were able to get the vet in Paris. Bringing Topaz with you is a good idea so that the vet can see his overall condition, body mass, etc. He sounds very good and it is not hard to home feed if someone who knows how to set up the eating plan is working with you. It will be interesting to see what he tells you.

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
His nose looks way better, almost unnoticeable with no discharge or anything else going along with it. He looks like a little lion king in those closeups. Topaz certainly was into his game with the wand toy and looked like a happy, healthy cat.

It is so much more convenient that you were able to get the vet in Paris. Bringing Topaz with you is a good idea so that the vet can see his overall condition, body mass, etc. He sounds very good and it is not hard to home feed if someone who knows how to set up the eating plan is working with you. It will be interesting to see what he tells you.
Yes! Now it really is mostly the scab. He's never had discharge on his nose or eyes. He does have a little bugger or another on the corner of his eyes every once in a while, which he cleans himself. But yeah, he has these mild gastrointestinal issues and that's it. Therapist says his legs are healing as expected and his movement is also within what she'd expect from a young cat soon after surgery...

I've been worried he's sliding and falling too much, since we have wooden floors and he hits everything during his zoomies, and he still can't comfortably jump onto our couch and my bed. But she explained to me that, beyond the legs being weaker for now post-op, he's also a young cat, so he didn't have a lot of muscle to begin with - it will take time for him to gain more strength.

I'm looking forward to talking to the vet and hope he leaves a good impression. The food has been the one thing that vets haven't been able to help me with, and every recommendation has been a bust. I love his vet in Brazil and she's been a doll with the nose situation, but she's strictly against homecooked meals for pets, and all she wanted me to try was hydrolized kibble - which, beyond making his diarrhea much worse, he simply would not even eat.

And he's indeed a little lion <3 I know I'm biased, but he's a shockingly beautiful cat. Once the therapist said it's okay to let him move freely, I ordered a new cat tree, much nicer than the one we have here, which belonged to my previous cat. Little lion king will soon have a new tower!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Can he use stairs or a ramp to get up on couches and beds? You can even fashion them yourself.

Most vets and most doctors in the states are not nutritionists and don't want to be encouraged to investigate that area of expertise. I always home cooked for my dogs. While I can't prove that this helped, no one ever had cancer except the last boy who had melanoma on his leg, but that is not a dietarily related cancer and results from melanocytes in the skin. Dogs are quite agreeable about eating most of their food though, so it is not as hard to balance a diet. I firmly believe that it can be done with cats though, especially with guidance so that everything is complete.

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can he use stairs or a ramp to get up on couches and beds? You can even fashion them yourself.

Most vets and most doctors in the states are not nutritionists and don't want to be encouraged to investigate that area of expertise. I always home cooked for my dogs. While I can't prove that this helped, no one ever had cancer except the last boy who had melanoma on his leg, but that is not a dietarily related cancer and results from melanocytes in the skin. Dogs are quite agreeable about eating most of their food though, so it is not as hard to balance a diet. I firmly believe that it can be done with cats though, especially with guidance so that everything is complete.
I have tried to use ramps... he avoids them and jumps instead, of course :p

But I agree that with guidance things can probably be accomplished. We'll see what he says tomorrow! Here's a pic update... scab is gone now, his nose is almost back to normal! Today marks exactly one week since it got hurt.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It looks healed. He must think that taking a pic of his nose is a new thing for you. He has that "here we go again" look on his face.

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It looks healed. He must think that taking a pic of his nose is a new thing for you. He has that "here we go again" look on his face.
It's indeed healed! Perfect looking nose this morning. It took exactly one week, impressive.

I visited the vet this morning and it was a grand waste of money and time. Emphasis on money because that's what I'm most mad about. The man did *none* of the things he had talked about on the phone. His "recipe"?
- A bowl half filled with either raw red meat or grilled chicken or raw white fish, and the other half "green vegetables" (no size or weight here, literally just "a bowl"... and I asked, but nope)
- Free feed him with Hills Z/D the rest of the time

He didn't even weight Topaz.

And then gave a bunch of stuff for his current diarrhea, which we know is food related, including a shot that's supposed to "dry the intestines" - he didn't ask me about it, he just did it, which made me mad. Didn't give a rat's ass about the intestinal inflammation, asked me what symptoms he had related to it, I answered truthfully "As far as I know, none, he's just sensitive when I try to change his food" (because nothing happens to him when he's on Royal Canin Kitten) and he told me the other vets were morons for asking me to change anything to begin with.

So, there's that. I'm gonna have to change the food on my own, this is me officially giving up on getting nutritional help from vets. I'm gonna follow the recipe provided by this brazilian vet on her website: Dieta cozida para gatos | Cachorro Verde

It's not half protein half veggies in that vet's recipe though, it's 65% boneless meat, 10% heart, 10% viscera and 15% veggies. Plus supplements. It's the lack of supplements in the recommendation of the vet I saw today that throws me off the most... even people that are in favor of raw talk about them everywhere. And today's vet also told me "not to change his food abruptly, do it over two days. First day half the current food and half the new one, second day the new food". Like... what.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food
I don't know if interacting with the members here who feed raw or home cooked would help, but we do have a forum for that subject.

That is pretty shocking about the vet, almost careless in what he told you and what he did, especially with the shot. Did he give you a bunch of random herbs and supplements? Calling other vets "morons" says a lot and, like you, I am surprised that he had no concern with balancing a home made diet with the necessary supplements.

The website seems incredibly informative and addresses variations in a home prepared or raw diet.

I would be angry, too.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I visited the vet this morning and it was a grand waste of money and time.
I'm not a person who advocates against holistic medicine. But I've heard more stories like this (including human holistic medicine) than positive experiences.

Obviously, it all comes down to the individual vet and the level of care they are willing to put in. I've also been to conventional-medicine vets that were terrible at their jobs. So it all depends.

I personally have an overall skeptical view of holistic medicine, though.