Cat is in labor.. help

Dheeksha

Black Cats are full of love ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 1 year old cat is having labor pains for more than 4 hours. Yesterday evening i gave her food. At night around 8:30 she vomited. She is sitting in a squat position and straining since then. Now it's 1:30 am. Still her vulva didnt even dilate. she became so weak and in pain. She is not even trying. I am very scared. There's no bad smell in her discharge.. it is just clear liquid. But she vomited 5-6 times now. I will take her to the vet today morning. Please tell me what should i do

Attachments

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she is in labor and unable to push out her babies, she may need a C-section. She may need an emergency vet now rather than in the morning. Something is definitely not right.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she is in labor and unable to push out her babies, she may need a C-section. She may need an emergency vet now rather than in the morning. Something is definitely not right.
It is impossible to find a vet at this hour. She is very stressed and moving around.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can try gently massaging her tummy. Perhaps it will help her to relax.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is not even trying... hiding in the wardrobe

Attachments

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just be first in line when the vet opens. There is really nothing else you can do until then. Poor kitty.
She was fine till late in the evening... ate her food. Suddenly she started vomiting liquids and straining. I didnt even had the time to prepare for her delivery. Will it take more time for her to deliver babies or there is something wrong.. i dont understand. She is now sleeping.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Perhaps, pre-labor contractions? Is this her first litter? That might explain the extra odd behavior. Sleeping is good, as she is building back up her strength. But you still need to consider taking her to a vet. You've been through this before, as I recall. So, you have to somewhat take your cues from your past experiences.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are contractions in her stomach. She woke up and straining again. Still there is no sign of baby coming out.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Perhaps, pre-labor contractions? Is this her first litter? That might explain the extra odd behavior. Sleeping is good, as she is building back up her strength. But you still need to consider taking her to a vet. You've been through this before, as I recall. So, you have to somewhat take your cues from your past experiences.
Yes, but for her there is no sign of baby like any water sac coming out.. she is just straining and meowing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can only let this go on for so long before seeking vet help, particularly if this is abnormal behavior from what you've seen before. For now, all you can do is try to console and monitor her.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can only let this go on for so long before seeking vet help, particularly if this is abnormal behavior from what you've seen before. For now, all you can do is try to console and monitor her.
Premature kittens were born few minutes ago. They are struggling to breathe. Mother cat is not nursing. I am not able to see them suffering. This is torture

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there anything i could do now?

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long does premature kittens survive without nursing?

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
H

How long does premature kittens survive without nursing?
If they are able to live, they can live even a full day without nursing or handfeeding...

You can try with some sugar water.... If you have proper glucose sugar / dextrose, or proper pedialyte, use this.
If you dont have, make a barely sweet sugar water... Try to get this into them, perhaps with a dropper... But be careful... Train on a doll first.

The risk is, their lungs arent done, as so they may die in hours...

Try to have it warm in the room, and be sure there is vapor in the room, if you can arrange it... So the air isnt dry.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is momma taking care of them? Warming them up, licking?

If not, make sure they arent cold...

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is momma taking care of them? Warming them up, licking?

If not, make sure they arent cold...
She is biting them. So i kept them seperately. I placed them on her nipple. They are unable to suck the milk

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mother cat is getting very scared and meowing loudly. Please tell me what should I do

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is biting them. So i kept them seperately. I placed them on her nipple. They are unable to suck the milk
So, either she thinks they are goners, and so she wants to send them on....

OR she perhaps has still some kittens inside her.... As so, with a little luck, she will deliver the last kittens several days later... This happens.

Anyway, if you want to try to save them, if they are able to live, you must handfeed them, and handraise them. Its lotsa of work, but it can be done.

Make sure they are warm and comfortable.

Begin with this sugar solution I told about earlier....
You are in India, right?

If you can get home goats milk, you can always use it. Raw milk from healthy goats is excellent, but almost any goats milk about 3% fat shall work...

Raw milk from the typical India cows should do, or raw milk from buffalos..... ( we had members from India earlier; in a situation where they did not had access to proper kmr).