Cat is hissing at me and now has hidden himself where I can't get to him.

belfast35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
8 year old male cat all of the sudden hissing, and has hidden in the attic eaves. He normally is very loving. Last night fine this am not so much. I can't get to him. He is an indoor cat. I know he needs a vet. Suggestions to get him down? I left him some water  

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

8 year old male cat all of the sudden hissing, and has hidden in the attic eaves. He normally is very loving. Last night fine this am not so much. I can't get to him. He is an indoor cat. I know he needs a vet. Suggestions to get him down? I left him some water  
perhaps his favorite food, or a ladder and a neighbor's help?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belfast35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is in a spot where no one can get to him. I left him some water and some treats that he likes. This happened over night, that's why I am alarmed.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Get someone to help you try to force him out of the eaves by whatever means you can think of. How far away is he from you? Can you reach him with a broom OR would that just push him further back, which we do not want? This could be an emergency, especially if there is a urinary blockage of some sort and he is hiding due to great pain. I don't mean to alarm you, as you already know and said he needs a vet, but the longer he hides the more urgent this could become.

Once, I had a cat do this. He went up into the basement ceiling. I could see him with a flashlight but he was about 12 feet back. I tried tuna too and it didn't work at all. That is when I had a feeling this was medical related and my cat was in pain. I had my husband pound loudly on the ceiling just past him to force him to move closer to my calls. He came close enough and I was able to grab his EAR of all things and pulled him out. He had a urinary blockage and had never shown signs of this before!

There could also be other reasons for his hiding and possibly this could be nothing major but still, do whatever it takes to get him down fast. MEGA MEGA VIBES for success.

Last edited:

belfast35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has come out of hiding but still won't come close enough for me to get by him so I can block the basement (He has a cat door) No blood in the box or mistakes anywhere. I'm worried about the urinary blockage. Goal of the night is to get him out of the basement. Actually catching him will be another story. He hates the vet!!!!!

belfast35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Quick update. He has come upstairs and went into my bedroom, where he is closed off with a litter box. So, should I feed and water him or leave him be till morning? 

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When was the last time he ate? I would leave food and water out for him, water definitely. Are you going to try to get him to the vet in the morning?

belfast35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I left water for him in the room. He's under the bed, gets upset when talk to him. He's not showing the UTI symptoms such as frequent trips to the box, blood in the urine. Could constipation cause this? He's very unhappy. And yes he's going to the vet tomorrow. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good that he is now confined in a room so that you can get him to the vet this morning to be checked out to make sure there is nothing medically going on that needs addressing. UTI's can be difficult for us to detect just by looking in the box for blood. Usually you will see more small clumps in the litter box from the cat having the urge to pee frequently and in small amounts. Sure, constipation could also be causing this behavioral change. We can guess all day long and it is best to have the vet confirm the underlying issue. You don't want your cat going without eating too long either as this could also cause some serious health troubles. Also, if your cat gets the all clear at the vet visit then it could be that something has really frightened your cat at home and that can be difficult to determine what it was !!! GOOD LUCK and keep us posted. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

belfast35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update from my vet visit. Vet thought there was a slight blockage at first, but to her surprise there was none. She pushed on his bladder and she said he urinated a lot. She did blood work all came back normal. A urinalysis is being done so we will see. She gave him a subcutaneous of fluids to rehydrate him.(never seen that before) Told me to take him off the dry food and give him wet. He ate half of what I gave him. He is under the bed meowing at me when I go in. He won't come near me. He does not do well with vets and he is ticked off. So as of right now it's good news.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good! Let us know when the test comes back. I hope he feels better!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like your vet is covering all bases and hopefully your cat will be feeling better soon. My cats and most cats dislike having to go out of the house and especially to the vet! Your doing a good job keeping watch on him now to make sure he eats, drinks and uses the litter box. Best to keep him confined until you know he is on the mend and you have the test results back. He will settle down and relax soon. :cross: The wet food is an excellent suggestion to get more moisture into his system and better for his urinary health overall, especially if he is not drinking much water along with the dry food he eats. Give him LOTS of extra attention right now and spending extra time with him will help him feel more comforted and relaxed! Good job :clap: :bigthumb: getting him tot he vet quickly too. :nod: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

belfast35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got the urinalysis back and that also is normal. I have no clue what was wrong with him. He was acting so strangely. Maybe,  like someone else suggested he got scared and was acting out. Who knows. I know one thing I can finally get some sleep :)