Cat is having a hard time keeping his backside clean- what can I do?

icanhascat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sherlock is something between a medium/long hair. He’s not particularly fluffy with the exception of his tail (looks like a feather duster stuck to his butt) but he constantly gets dingleberries/poop stuck to his butt/back legs.

other than bathe him, what can I do? Other cats I’ve had have been fastidious groomers or short haired so I haven’t had this issue before.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
all you can really do is grab him after he uses litter box with a wet paper towel in hand and give his but hairs a good swipe to clean him up he will run for sure after a time or to but he wont hate you for it all the cats i have had to do that with got used to it think of it like a mommy cat grabbing its kitten to groom it or just take him to get his but hairs shaved

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah: Another cleaning option is unscented, hypoallergenic wipes - a little less abrasive than paper towels. They are also room temp because they come in a packet you can leave nearby the box, so no worries about too hot or too cold of water on the paper towels.

The other thing to look at is the amount of litter in the box, too little or too much can cause certain cats to 'carry stuff out' with them. The consistency of the stool can make a difference too - too soft and it tends to cling.

Get Sherlock used to having his backend combed/brushed as well, the less matted/clumpy the hair is back there the less things will stick to it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Trim the hair back there a bit with child safety scissors. You may need an extra pair of hands to hold the cat while you do a quick trim.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

icanhascat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's not overweight is he or no? Longhair cats sometimes need sanitary trims in the back end.
He’s on the chunkier side but doesn’t look obviously overweight. Might just be the way his fur is that makes it hard for him to stay clean