Cat is eating less and playing less

GustifursMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We got a new kitten 2 months ago. She is now 6 months old, Lucy. Our first cat Gus is 11 months old, we got him when he was 5 months old.

For the first 1.5 months it was great. They were in love.

I couldn't keep up with their nails so I got a mobile service to do it.

Almost 2 weeks ago they showed up with the groomer's dog in the van. They took the younger kitten Lucy and were back really fast (just a nail clip). Then they took my older kitten Gus, and it took a very long time. I could hear the dog barking so loud, that I could hear it inside my house. Gus has never seen a dog (indoor cat).

Anyway I'm pretty sure they traumatized him quite badly. He stopped eating much, he stopped playing much, he ignored Lucy, he ignored me.

Because he lost interest in his food, Lucy started eating his food.

On top of this my husband moved Gus' water fountain. So Gus also stopped drinking water. (I've now put it back and told my husband never to do that again.)

Past couple days Gus has been straining in the litter and pooping small hard pellets.

However, he has now started playing again with his laser toy (loves it) and eating a little bit again (we bought him new flavors of food and treats and it's definitely working). He's also going back to his affectionate self with me. Still not too interested in playing with high energy Lucy (I assume because he's slowly regaining his strength).

I could tell he is constipated. So I wanted a vet to give him an enema. I couldn't get to my regular vet so I took him to another one. They said they did feel something in his stomach but they refused to give him an enema, instead they wanted me to spend $1000 on blood work, x rays and more. I was obviously not going to do that. They thought it was cancer. I told them that they are being ridiculous and irresponsible.

We went home. Gus again ate a decent amount and played with me.

I called our regular vet and made an appointment for a few days from now, just for a wellness check. Since he is slowly improving.

What do you all think? Can being locked in a van with a screaming dog, then having your water moved right after traumatize a cat like this? I'm hopeful for a recovery. Not sure what I'm looking for here, maybe just support. Thanks.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Number one: Drop that groomer like a hot potato! Any groomer that would do something like cooping a cat up in a van with a strange dog must have a serious case of Rectal-Cranial Inversion! ;)

Number two: Give your cat a smidgin of Miralax in his food. About 1/8 or 1/4 of a teaspoon. Not so much that he gets soupy poopie. Just enough to make it easier for him to go. I think your vet was right. An enema isn't called for, especially since he has had such a hard time, recently. The trauma of getting an enema would probably make things worse for Gus.
You don't have to ask my how I know this... Casper had to have a couple of enemas and, to put it mildly, he didn't like it.

Number three: Give your cat some time to chill. A couple-few days of being left alone. I think he just needs to unwind. Wouldn't you? ;)

If that doesn't clear up your cat's problem, a vet visit would be in order. Since you've already got one booked, I'd say you're right on track.

As they say... Time heals all wounds. ;)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

GustifursMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Number one: Drop that groomer like a hot potato! Any groomer that would do something like cooping a cat up in a van with a strange dog must have a serious case of Rectal-Cranial Inversion! ;)

Number two: Give your cat a smidgin of Miralax in his food. About 1/8 or 1/4 of a teaspoon. Not so much that he gets soupy poopie. Just enough to make it easier for him to go. I think your vet was right. An enema isn't called for, especially since he has had such a hard time, recently. The trauma of getting an enema would probably make things worse for Gus.
You don't have to ask my how I know this... Casper had to have a couple of enemas and, to put it mildly, he didn't like it.

Number three: Give your cat some time to chill. A couple-few days of being left alone. I think he just needs to unwind. Wouldn't you? ;)

If that doesn't clear up your cat's problem, a vet visit would be in order. Since you've already got one booked, I'd say you're right on track.

As they say... Time heals all wounds. ;)
You are 100 % correct about 1, 2 and 3. The vet (not his regular vet) suggested an entire teaspon of restoralx, which was WAY too much. So today we'll just do a bit (1/8 or 1/4) of a tsp. An entire teaspoon, as the vet suggested was ridiculously too much and gave him soupie poopy as you say. However, I did notice he even had to strain to get the soupie stuff out. Which seems odd to me.

Thanks so much for your response, it's great that this site exists so we can get support from other helpful folks like yourself!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that the groomer with the dog in the van violated all rules, if there were to be any, of running a mobile grooming service. For so many reasons. As for the constipation, if Gus really stopped eating temporarily there was not much to come out, so that could be one theory. But I would watch it. He does not necessarily have cancer and more than likely the vet was a little premature to have told you that just from feeling his stomach. He is also on the young side for that kind of diagnosis. However, if this does not correct itself, try to get him to your vet who will probably be more willing to take this one step at a time with you or at least give you a good reason for needing to do testing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GustifursMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree that the groomer with the dog in the van violated all rules, if there were to be any, of running a mobile grooming service. For so many reasons. As for the constipation, if Gus really stopped eating temporarily there was not much to come out, so that could be one theory. But I would watch it. He does not necessarily have cancer and more than likely the vet was a little premature to have told you that just from feeling his stomach. He is also on the young side for that kind of diagnosis. However, if this does not correct itself, try to get him to your vet who will probably be more willing to take this one step at a time with you or at least give you a good reason for needing to do testing.
I agree. I'm giving him GI paste and also high calorie paste. He's gained half a pound back in one day! I'm also giving him water by syringe just to ensure the best hydration.

Today I did notice that he strains to even have diarrhea. To me it's so obvious he's constipated and likely impacted.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I did notice that he strains to even have diarrhea. To me it's so obvious he's constipated and likely impacted.
Aw, sh*t! Casper had to go through that twice.

He was off his food for a few days and wasn't behaving normally. We took him in and he got an X-Ray. He was REALLY backed up! Megacolon!

Casper had to stay in the hospital for the night and needed two enemas to clean him out. Thankfully, he was okay.

It happened a second time but we caught it in time, before it went "mega." Again, a stay in the hospital and enemas.

Casper REALLY did not like staying in the hospital, getting enemas! He turned on one of the vet techs and took a chunk out of her hand! That is **WAY** out of character for Casper! He has always been the sweetest, most gentle cat. I have never even been able to get him to tussle with me. Not even when I washed my hands in catnip! Casper would have to be REALLY unhappy to bite a human hard enough to draw blood!

My advice... If you think your cat is "backed up" get him to the vet for some X-rays. If the X-rays show anything, get him cleaned out. If his digestive tract is impacted and it turns into megacolon, you've got troubles, Bubbles! If they can't clean him out with an enema, they'll have to operate. That won't be much fun for anybody! :(

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with Caspers Human Caspers Human that you might have to get Gus to the vet to resolve this. You did not say that you would try to do your own enema, but I always add that the ingredients in human OTC enemas can kill cats.