Cat is eating 12 oz of chicken daily.

duncansmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My poor kitty has a history of IBD and urinary crystals. I tried special food for the crystals but it made the IBD flare. There are some ingredients in commercial food he does very badly with, I think guar gum is one, I think the stuff used to dissolve the crystals is the other one. Anyway, I did find one commercial, non-prescription canned food he did well on if I added extra water to dilute his pee. But, he decided to stop eating it. So I decided to give a homemade meal a try. Chicken breast with Ez Complete. He loves it, however he is eating an enormous amount. Maybe he's making up for the fact he was undernourished before but now I can't seem to get him full. He's eating SO much! I cut up two breasts that weigh about 12 oz each and he's nearly finished them in less than two days.

I cook the chicken breasts to 145' using my sous vide cooker and then adding EZ complete to get him the calcium and other things he needs. Any suggestions on anything I might be able to add to help him feel full?

I've tried chicken thighs and he really doesn't like thigh meat. He will eat very lean pork.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He needs some more fat than what the chicken breast provides. Chicken thighs would be preferable but you can add some other animal fat in there too. Beef fat maybe?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duncansmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I was thinking this too. What about fiber of some sort? He doesn't eat grass much when I offer it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fiber isn't needed. And yes, I'd go with the thigh meat over the breast. You may also want to look to adding organ meats like liver and hearts. Liver would up the fat content. But then you might have to switch to a different mix like Alnutrin so you don't over-supplement since EZ Complete already has liver.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duncansmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As I mentioned, he won't eat thigh meat. Picky eater, that cat.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about turkey thighs? Those were very popular with Krista before I had to switch her to rabbit.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
How much does he weigh? Or what would his ideal weight be?

If you notice he seems a little constipated you can add a little plain canned pumpkin ( a teaspoon a day) to his meals.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
How much does he weigh? Or what would his ideal weight be?
^^ this ^^

Daily meals should be based on ideal weight and activity of the animal.

My Loki maintained 12 lbs at his peak health, but only ate about 4 oz a day because he is a lazy cat. That is only 2% of his body weight per day. The recommended is usually around 3%. My more active cats would eat a bit more, even though they weighed less.

To calculate, convert body weight from lbs to ounces... 12 lbs x 16 oz = 192 oz.
Then divide meal weight by body weight... 4/192 = .02 ...
move the decimal two spaces for percentage... .02 = 2%

If you want to know what x% of your cat's weight is... say you want to feed 3% instead of 2%... you simply move the decimal back (.03) and multiply by the body weight in oz (.03 x 192) = 5.76 oz per day.

12 oz per day is a lot... unless your cat is 25 lbs (12 oz ÷ .03(%) = 400 oz), 400 ÷ 16 (oz/lb) = 25 lb

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
dont take the fat off the chicken breast. try sprinkling fortiflora on the thigh meat. it has animal digest which appeals to his sense of smell, and it has probiotics so it may help with digestion issues