cat is constipated since his pain meds. HELP!

aangone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My six month old kitten got a severe eye injury the other night and as been forced to wear a cone. He has been on anti-inflammatory eye drops, and eye drops made from spinning his blood to help heal and try to regain vision in his eye. He was also put on these awesome pain meds that do not make him super moopey. He has an okay appetite still, and I have been feeding him mostly wet food with added water and dry food with baby food (Made from chicken and chicken broth, nothing else) mixed in since we barely has been touching his water bowl. 

This is will be day three (Oct. 24) that I haven't noticed any feces in his litter box except for the little bit he squeezed out last night. He seems to be peeing regularly because the litter we have, for some reason, lets his urine seep through and clump at the bottom, and there's a lot of clumps down there.

We are already trying to scramble up the money he needs for his X-Rays and test, and possible eye removal surgery if the eye continues to be unresponsive and show signs of nerve damage. So, another surgery for impacted colon or anal glands would not be ideal. ha!

I was wondering what are some tricks to get my little baby to poop again? I thought maybe a bigger litter box because of the cone but I don't know if that would really be an issue.

Thanks so much in advance for any help or advice you give me!

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Laxatone (flavored petroleum jelly) is a common solution to constipation and if your cat is on a narcotic pain reliever like buprenorphine that could cause constipation.  Call your vet when their open and request a vet call back.  Most vets do this for a cat who is already under treatment.

carinajosefine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When Kitty was a baby we were adviced by the vet to use some vegetable oil, both in the front and a tiny bit in the back. Not pleasant, but worked. Some painkillers (spesially morphine based) makes the digestion system move slower than normal. Im sure the vets are quite used to pets on painkillers comming back for help with constipation. There is never any harm in phoning them up, asking their advice!

Fingers crossed for a poop in the box soon!

kkrauss1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you are using buprenorine, or some derivation, the one that you inject into gums that can definitely cause constipation then pancreatitis.  The vet can give you some lactulose which which should help.  You can also feed the kitty some pumpkin.