TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
6years old male gray tabby
Food:
  • 1.5-2 cans Royal Canin SO wet only
  • Whole Lofe freeze dried chicken sprinkled on top
  • .1ml CBD oil

We are 3 months post PU surgery and he started having constipation 3 weeks ago. He didn’t poo for 3 days and took him in for enema and were told to do miralax daily for 3 weeks.

They checked and he doesn’t have megacolon, no blockage/obstruction and bloodwork looks great. They thought at first it was him being on Prozac so we took him off and 3 weeks later he had constipation after coming off miralax.

We took him back and he was treated for a uti but still has constitution unless on miralax.

He licks his butthole a lot and sometimes bites at it. Vet hasn’t said anything about anal glands but he hasn’t had any of the other symptoms.

We are coming up on spending $8-10k between last blockage, surgery and all the visits to the vet after. I don’t want to take him in anymore when all the doctors say they don’t know.

What are your thoughts on what it could be?I feel like I’m going insane since his surgery.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
When he's on miralax, (twice daily, 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon dissolved in a little water. This can be added to food) is he more comfortable and not licking?

I'd leave him on the miralax.

There might be something here;

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did they take radiographs to confirm the constipation? Has the vet checked his anal glands? Often it is overlooked in cats and they won't check unless asked. The biting at the rectum would be what would lead me to believe it could be anal glands. Why can't you just continue to use the miralax? Was the Prozac weaned off or stopped abruptly? How are his urinary issues now? What is his hydration like? Do you see him drinking?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatDaze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did they take radiographs to confirm the constipation? Has the vet checked his anal glands? Often it is overlooked in cats and they won't check unless asked. The biting at the rectum would be what would lead me to believe it could be anal glands. Why can't you just continue to use the miralax? Was the Prozac weaned off or stopped abruptly? How are his urinary issues now? What is his hydration like? Do you see him drinking?
They did an X-ray and said he was comstipted. No one has checked his anal glands or mentioned it. I’d prefer to not have him on anything else if possible, he already has a pretty lengthy meal prep process and cbd pills.
He was weaned off Prozac and his urinary problems seem decent now aside from occasional UTI. He doesn’t drink any water but we give him 4 meals a day with 60ml in each (240ml a day)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatDaze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
When he's on miralax, (twice daily, 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon dissolved in a little water. This can be added to food) is he more comfortable and not licking?

I'd leave him on the miralax.

There might be something here;
[/URL]
No, he still licks his bottom even on miralax. And when he pooped it’s 2/3 poop but 1/3 diarrhea.
He gets 240ml of water a day mixed in his food and it definitely helps all urinary problems,