Cat is choosing boyfriend over me ?

Ashleigh Kate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just moved In with my partner and brought our pets with us. My cat originally hadn’t spent a lot of time with my partner and for the first few weeks was stuck to me like glue while she adjusted to him and the place. She is quite affectionate and spends a lot of the time lying with you/ on you whether it’s on your lap or your butt or your face or under the covers in bed, and for the majority of the time it will be with me as apposed to other people.

For the past few days however she has been choosing my partner as her new favourite, sleeping on he’s side of the bed and always choosing he’s lap over mine. My partner is quite a lot warmer (body temperature) than I so could it simply be she prefers he’s warmth or has she changed alliances on me do you think?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In my experience, cats are fickle, they will decide where they want to lie or sleep and that will be their favourite for a while then they will find another place thats their favourite. Your cat is choosing your boyfriend at the moment, maybe showing her acceptance of him. Dont worry, she will be back on your lap when she chooses.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above. The warmth is drawing her too. Make sure YOU are the one feeding her, and giving treats, cats always like the one bringing food! Yoru partner may be just a nice person to her too, cats are drawn to quieter people who tend to ignore them, they don't feel threatened. when my cats DON'T like someone, that is the time to reevaluate that person and your relationship and see why not. I have had several people my cat didn't like turn out to be people I didn't want to trust either.....

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there is an innate loyalty for the original person - I had a roommate that had a cat and when I moved in she started sleeping with me every night. I don’t know if it was my room she liked, or maybe I tossed and turned less. But I didn’t doubt she still loved my roommate more, she just seemed to like my room better at night for some reason.