Cat Is...bored?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I have a question about Dexter.

He just turned a year old. When he was a kitten, he was 100% kitten, always zooming around and chasing Evie and Emerson. He loved to chase a laser, loved Da Bird, and would spring after the little mouse thing that hangs in the doorway of their room. As he has gotten older, he just seems...bored. Like nothing we try to get him to play with entices him. Even our cat sitter texted me and mentioned how he isn't as playful as when she last sat for us back in March.

Now, he DOES play. He will chase a ribbon and will occasionally have good running fits chasing Evie and Emerson. But it is nothing like it was when he was a baby. Evie is way more active than he is, and she is a few years older. He is so young, I'd think he would be just as active.

He eats fine- very food motivated. He doesn't hide (although his new favorite sleeping spot is the cabinet above the fridge...). He sleeps a lot, but...he's a cat. He is currently sleeping in the basket on their main cat tree. I don't think it's more sleep than Evie or Emerson gets. Litterbox habits are normal. He has solid poops and good urine output. He is bright eyed and alert.

Am I just being paranoid? He is also slightly overweight (per a very expensive vet visit and x-rays) because I was convinced he had something going on), hence why I really want to get him moving more. Do some cats just live life in the slow lane, so to speak?

Enjoy some Dexter photos!

Dexter 1.jpg

Dexter 2.jpg

Dexter 3.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Dexter baby!! what a gorgeous young fellow!!

I apologize if I'm forgetting, but have you tried taking him for walks? It's possible that he needs more mental stimulation, but it's also possible he may be a cat that isn't super active.

Harness And Leash Training For Cats

Do you have cat trees? Both upright and horizontal scratchers?

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

19 Best Interactive Cat Toys: Your Ultimate List (2019) | Heavy.com

21 Best Cat Toys: Your Ultimate List (2019) | Heavy.com

Home - the Ripple Rug

Food Puzzles for Cats

The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

Favorite Cat Toys

17 Best Toys For Lazy Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
He HATES being outside. Evie and Emerson will run outside the first chance they get, and I do sometimes let them out in the (fenced) backyard when I go out there. Took Dex out once and he sat by the door, patiently waiting to go back inside!

They have 2 cat trees and several scratchers. He uses all of them.

I will look into that ripple rug! He does enjoy "hand under the covers" play. He will also go crazy chasing after a fly or moth (or, as we call them, Sky Raisins). My husband has actually considered catching moths to be let loose inside, but I vetoed that idea!

I forgot that he enjoys bubbles. He likes to watch them and will occasionally bat or jump at one of them.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, some cats do live in the slow lane and don’t play nearly as much in adulthood. But they do still play if it is something that they enjoy. You just need to help him figure out what that is. Try offering him all kinds of toys that encourage action like balls, cat springs, mouse toys, etc and try teaching him to fetch. And of course there are catnip toys, the best being Yeoww brand, and their banana many cats favorite. It’s a great game and exercise for him. And of course try homemade toys too like a empty toilet paper roll, a sheet of tissue paper, plastic bottle caps, or even a crumbled piece of paper. There are also moving toys like a hex bug that some cats go crazy for.

If he has some of these toys already try removing them for a few days. Sometimes when they are returned the cat has renewed interest in them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
:paperbag: :paperbag: :paperbag::oops: :bluebutterfly:
We have done this in our household!

We just make sure that the cat catches the moth, so it doesn't spend time residing in our abode, hidden away, doing moth things (like eating wool and cotton and silk).
We may revisit the idea :crackup::crackup:
All of mine love the thrill of the chase!