Cat is behaving and is wheezing after new kitten is brought home

Itzanonz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last Saturday my family got a 1 month old kitten (male), everything seem to be normal until last Night I noticed that my older cat (6 year old female) was making a “whistle“ sound when she was breathing. Though not all the time it seems to happen when she takes deep breathes and when I pet her. She is eating but very little. She is also acting very strange, it’s like she doesn’t care and ignores me even when I call her and she just seems like she is lacking energy and moves slowly. I’ve also noticed that she is somewhat distant, is this something to be concerned about? Should I take her to the vet?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
She is eating but very little. She is also acting very strange, it’s like she doesn’t care and ignores me even when I call her and she just seems like she is lacking energy and moves slowly. I’ve also noticed that she is somewhat distant, is this something to be concerned about? Should I take her to the vet?
Eating but very little is not a good sign. A cat should not go more than 24 hours without eating so I would suggest trying whatever you can to stimulate her appetite. Here is a helpful Article that discusses how to get your cat to start eating again:
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles

If she is lethargic, moving slowly and distant towards you then it's time to contact your vet, the sooner the better. Please don't wait and keep us posted on her condition. Best of luck! :alright:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you immediately allow the kitten full run of the house? Honestly, any and all of your resident cat's symptoms could be the result of a botched introduction. Introducing cats properly takes a bit of time, occasionally, LOTS of time (although kittens to cats is usually easier, and kittens to kittens can be almost instantaneous).

Let's do this...let's have a vet see her, just to be sure she isn't sick, and then let's re-introduce the two of them using the techniques in these articles, and see how things go.

It isn't as much reading as it looks like. The articles are fairly short, and very clear and concise!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Itzanonz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you immediately allow the kitten full run of the house?
no we kept her in my brothers room for 2 days then we introduced them, My resident cat sometimes hisses at my kitten but now ive noticed she doesn't even care, ive also noticed my resident cat is refusing water and is trying to vomit but cant. And her breathing doesn't sound better

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Itzanonz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE:
my older cat has started to drink water and eat again, and shes moving more but she still can't meow and still has that "whistle": sound in her breathe

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She most likely has an upper respiratory infection brought on by the stress of having a new kitty in the house. Please get her to the vet immediately before she gets worse.