Cat is all of a sudden lethargic

abbey987

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, 

My 4 year old cat is extremely active and playful. When I got home from work today she was acting like herself - ready to play. A few hours later, her behavior completely changed. She became very lethargic and sickly looking. She is wobbly and was walking extremely slow -seems like her balance is off. Her eyes are also very droopy and she just looks miserable. She is now laying down and won't move for anything. She didn't eat her dinner and I haven't seen her drink any water either. She's been to the bathroom but it was earlier today. She is 100% indoors and has not gotten into anything. I don't know what would have caused her to completely change like this in a few short hours. Not sure what to do and I would appreciate any advice since I'm so worried about her. 

truffleshuffle0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it continues the rest of the night and she is still acting like this in the morning or gets progressivly worse during the night I would defently get a vet for atleast a check up. I am no expert at all but sounds like she may have picked up a bug or just felling under the weather. Do you have any house plants or anything and has she tried eating on them? I know that cats like to eat grass when there not felling well and it helps there tummys even when they are felling fine. I know that I went out and bought a little bucket thing of grass for my cat to eat it on and it helped when she was not felling well. Do you think she may have gotten into something? I would defently check around and see if you can;t find any cleaning supplies or anything like that she might have gotten into just in case.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would contact the ER vet, especially with the wobbliness and the droopy eyes.  That concerns me.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wondering what happened with this kitty.  Did you contact your Vet?  How is she?

presto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a very similar experience with my 2 year old girl last week.  I thought she had swallowed something.  I took her to the ER and they did X-Rays and an Ultra Sound.  They found no foreign objects, but she tested positive for tapeworm, which they treated.  When I picked her up they showed me the tapeworm on the slide.  I'm glad they found something, as the visit cost me big bucks!  If you really don't think she swallowed something, I would keep an eye on her and take her to your regular vet.  If there's ANY chance that she could have swallowed a foreign object, then get her to an ER, as her intestine could block, or perferate, which could be fatal. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The safe thing is of course to contact a good vet ASAP. At the very latest in the  morning.

Preferably a good clinic, not a part time, free time practictioner.

How much you dare or must to wait depends on your circumstances.

Good luck!     *vibes*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbey987

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your concern. She made it through the night (with me sleeping right next to her). I knew I was going to take her to the vet, but I wanted to wait until morning because the vet ER in my area is awful. She seemed better in the morning, but I still took her in. By the time they examined her, she seemed to be fine and wasn't falling down anymore. There wasn't much they could do but they think since she didn't get into anything, it may have been a seizure. They sent out blood work so I'll just have to wait and see. In the mean time, she is doing better and walking okay. She doesn't have very much energy so I'm just letting her rest. She seems to be slowly snapping out of it thank goodness. I've never experienced anything like that before and I pray it won't happen again. 

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is this cat an older cat?

I'm glad she seems to be getting better, and that you had her checked to rule out some of the common problems.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is this cat an older cat?

Nay, a 4 year, otherwise apparently healthy.

Myself, If I dare a wild guess at this moment, I would guess on a small stroke as one possibility.

This would explain why recovery "by itself" was possible.

Surely more common in olds, but possible also in younger.

Good it went over, what it it was.  Hope she proceeds to be better.

In the meantime, look through your house again if you find something unsafe lying around. Anything poisonous, anything unprioper to swallow...   Some electric with bare ends to get a electrical chock from?

Good luck!    *vibes*

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope they have considered a cardiac problem also.  They come on suddenly. 

I hope your kitty continues to improve.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know, there's another possibility.  One of your cats had a bladder stone, and he gave us some real scares before it was discovered.  He would "freeze," acting as if he  were having some sort of seizure, and then would slowly start moving again after a while.  Someone else here mentioned intestinal gas as causing some very scary behavior, too.

sherrill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The safe thing is of course to contact a good vet ASAP. At the very latest in the  morning.
Preferably a good clinic, not a part time, free time practictioner.

How much you dare or must to wait depends on your circumstances.

Good luck!     *vibes*

sherrill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm hoping it was a seizure, tommorrw is Sunday, if she gets worse ill take her to the vet,thankyou

sherrill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You know, there's another possibility.  One of your cats had a bladder stone, and he gave us some real scares before it was discovered.  He would "freeze," acting as if he  were having some sort of seizure, and then would slowly start moving again after a while.  Someone else here mentioned intestinal gas as causing some very scary behavior, too.
thanks for the input ,we didnt see what happened, she was walking slow and wobbly,shes doing better finaly ,whew[emoji]128522[/emoji]but we are keeping an eye on her ,we took her to vet ,they wanted to take blood tests ,but they said she looks real healthy ror her age ,she's 15 yrs.old

sherrill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, 

My 4 year old cat is extremely active and playful. When I got home from work today she was acting like herself - ready to play. A few hours later, her behavior completely changed. She became very lethargic and sickly looking. She is wobbly and was walking extremely slow -seems like her balance is off. Her eyes are also very droopy and she just looks miserable. She is now laying down and won't move for anything. She didn't eat her dinner and I haven't seen her drink any water either. She's been to the bathroom but it was earlier today. She is 100% indoors and has not gotten into anything. I don't know what would have caused her to completely change like this in a few short hours. Not sure what to do and I would appreciate any advice since I'm so worried about her. 
sounds like what my kitty,Teddybear she had a seizure, take her to the vet just to make sure she's not dehydrated, they might want to take blood also ,you can read my story below,I'll be praying for your kitty ,also

sherrill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
sounds like what my kitty,Teddybear she had a seizure, take her to the vet just to make sure she's not dehydrated, they might want to take blood also ,you can read my story below,I'll be praying for your kitty ,also
well i dont know where my post went ,im new ?

sherrill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your concern. She made it through the night (with me sleeping right next to her). I knew I was going to take her to the vet, but I wanted to wait until morning because the vet ER in my area is awful. She seemed better in the morning, but I still took her in. By the time they examined her, she seemed to be fine and wasn't falling down anymore. There wasn't much they could do but they think since she didn't get into anything, it may have been a seizure. They sent out blood work so I'll just have to wait and see. In the mean time, she is doing better and walking okay. She doesn't have very much energy so I'm just letting her rest. She seems to be slowly snapping out of it thank goodness. I've never experienced anything like that before and I pray it won't happen again. 

sherrill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree my cat teddybear did the same things as your kitty ,i have to take water to her and ibought can food so she will eat,please please let me know or us,what the blood tests say ok

sherrill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To Abbey987,did your kitty's blood tests come back ,and did they find anything? My Teddybear isn't eating but she drnks,im so scared,i live on a very limited income, and dont have the money for her care .please please let me know and thank you. Sherrill