Cat intros at a standstill

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
(My female cat Tepaul will also, mostly every time, leave a bite of wet food. Not sure why. Perhaps she thinks she has to, as though she's in the wild, and needs to store her cache? It's not like she comes back to it...so I don't know. Tripp does not leave anything.).
( cat nap cat nap , are you a Star Trek fan? Tepaul, Tripp...)

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I do too. Am heavy into introducing Ziggy and Waffles now, having them together daily for a time with supervision and with treats, wand toys for distraction and a piece of cardboard for stopping things if needed in hand. Hard with being just one person! I need 4 arms. They are doing okay, slow going. Ziggy is quite playful for 13 years old, so I'm hoping maybe in a year she can play chase and pounce with Moo and Waffles (maybe wishful thinking.)

It's so fun to read about the progress with yours! I am betting things will warm up in time, from my point of view they have a great start.
Haha. I think the part of "I need 4 arms" is so, so accurate. :crackup:
How you're supposed to do everything in the midst of a cat-intro is extremely hard.
It's like a special choreographed dance, but you get 'no applause' at the end. :disappointed:
You're lucky if the 'captive audience' of cats is even paying attention, to you. :gaah:

We humans probably need a few more eyes, too. :blush:

Excellent about Ziggy being quite playful, at 13 years old.
Ziggy will probably be chasing the other two, well before a year's time, (I think that certain senior cats act like kittens depending on the day.)

I agree with you. It is really fun to read Acari's progress with K and T.
I'm waiting for the day, when they sleep once again, near each other, and play an energetic game of chase. :greenpaw:
( cat nap cat nap , are you a Star Trek fan? Tepaul, Tripp...)
Hahaha....Yes.
I'm not a diehard fan, Trekkie or Trekker, or whatever they call it, and don't speak Klingon, or Vulcan.
But yeah, I did enjoy the Star Trek Original Series, in reruns, and then Star Trek Voyager and Star Trek Enterprise.
(The other shows I have only watched here and there, and not entire seasons.) Plus the movies, of course.
I'm now watching Picard.) (Umm, I kind of do sound a little 'out there', ...having listed the ones I've watched.) 🛸🚀🛰

So yeah, pearl99 pearl99 ...you caught on well that I just changed the spelling of the names from Commander T'Pol, vulcan science officer, and chief engineer Charles 'Trip' Tucker III, from Star Trek Enterprise, ...to Tepaul and Tripp. :thumbsup:

Are you by any chance a fan of Star Trek, or science-fiction shows?

Come to think about it, both you and Acari, have named cats after 'food items'. Haha. :)
So I take it that all us cat people are a little unique when choosing names. :blush:

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
Haha. I think the part of "I need 4 arms" is so, so accurate. :crackup:
How you're supposed to do everything in the midst of a cat-intro is extremely hard.
It's like a special choreographed dance, but you get 'no applause' at the end. :disappointed:
You're lucky if the 'captive audience' of cats is even paying attention, to you. :gaah:

We humans probably need a few more eyes, too. :blush:

Excellent about Ziggy being quite playful, at 13 years old.
Ziggy will probably be chasing the other two, well before a year's time, (I think that certain senior cats act like kittens depending on the day.)

I agree with you. It is really fun to read Acari's progress with K and T.
I'm waiting for the day, when they sleep once again, near each other, and play an energetic game of chase. :greenpaw:

Hahaha....Yes.
I'm not a diehard fan, Trekkie or Trekker, or whatever they call it, and don't speak Klingon, or Vulcan.
But yeah, I did enjoy the Star Trek Original Series, in reruns, and then Star Trek Voyager and Star Trek Enterprise.
(The other shows I have only watched here and there, and not entire seasons.) Plus the movies, of course.
I'm now watching Picard.) (Umm, I kind of do sound a little 'out there', ...having listed the ones I've watched.) 🛸🚀🛰

So yeah, pearl99 pearl99 ...you caught on well that I just changed the spelling of the names from Commander T'Pol, vulcan science officer, and chief engineer Charles 'Trip' Tucker III, from Star Trek Enterprise, ...to Tepaul and Tripp. :thumbsup:

Are you by any chance a fan of Star Trek, or science-fiction shows?

Come to think about it, both you and Acari, have named cats after 'food items'. Haha. :)
So I take it that all us cat people are a little unique when choosing names. :blush:
(Not to hijack Acari's thread) I am a huge Star Trek fan, starting with the original. I have seen every episode of original, Next Gen, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and most all of the movies- so I'm more 'out there' than you :hellosmiley: I just say I have good taste! I couldn't get into Enterprise. I need to binge "Picard" with a free 30 days of CBS AllAccess.
Also Twilight Zone (original) and Outer Limits (original.) Am fan of space things, science fiction. 👾☄🚀🌌🛰
My daughter and I got on a food name kick for pets when she was growing up- Taffy, Brownie, Oreo, Snickers, Mocha, Milkshake before Waffles and Mooshoo. I left Gracie's and Ziggy's names as they were since they were 12 and 13 years old when adopted by me. My daughter has cats Beans and Bleu (as in bleu cheese.) Pearl, our yellow lab, was an exception.🥑🥘🥑🥒

And yes I have rolling cat introductions now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

acari

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! Long time no talk! So, two things: I wasn't getting notifications so I had no idea there was more conversation happening on the thread!! I'm so sorry!
And the other thing is that I suddenly got SWAMPED with things so I haven't been able to update. I'm sorry about that too!!

But I guess this is where we can bring this introduction thread to an end, because while K and T aren't buddy-buddy things are generally uneventful. They're still changing day to day, week to week, but we haven't had to put the gate up at all (!!) and generally when they chase each other, they're playing.

T is still reluctant to engage fully. They're still feeling each other out. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if their relationship keeps changing even a year from now.

We actually left the house for 20-30 minutes yesterday and left T out, so both cats were out and unsupervised, which is a first. And when we came home to absolutely nothing out of the ordinary, we breathed a sigh of relief.

I have a picture from yesterday for you where K was cleaning after a snack, and T was just rolling over nearby, content to watch K cleaning. K whipped her head up every so often just to make sure T wasn't trying any funny stuff. But they were like this for a few minutes at least:

IMG_20200525_152902.jpg

Here is an interaction (split into two videos) from the beginning of May that I was so excited to share with you then (well, still excited now!):

Ignore the game sounds and classical music, haha.

K has just finished a snack and T was busy being annoying. T has just gone and hid inside the curtains.

Now, at this point, K settles down and waits for a full three minutes before anything else happens. I cut that part out and here is when the action starts:

You can see her look at me (!) and then T decides to shuffle around, grabbing K's attention. Then they do their thing.

To me, that seemed really like play. Hopefully you don't think differently. K chased T all the way upstairs but there was no yelling or screaming or anything, then K came right back down, and T followed partway (then chickened out).

Since then, nothing like this has happened again - just some chases up and down the stairs sometimes.

Maybe two or three days ago, K did chase T (in a mean way) away but I think T was being annoying and loud while K just wanted to sleep. Probably just setting boundaries.

The only thing that remains that I'd like to see change doesn't have to do with T, actually, it's that K acts paranoid sometimes when she's awake and it seems like she's looking for T. But half the time, T is within view and K fully ignores her to stare off into the distance with a worried look on her face.
Hopefully that'll change with more time as well.

Thanks for reading and sticking with me through this!

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
That is adorable with T behind the curtain! "Sit- wait- hmmm I'm gonna wait her out- she doesn't know I know she's behind there..." T peeking out like "peek-a-boo." They love to play stalk and pounce and chase. Cat play.

It looks like how two of mine play- Moo and Waffles. In my mind the fact that no one attacked says play to me. My 12 year old Gracie has gotten bolder and does a bit of chasing of Moo and Waffles now- short chases.. I think it's play. I also think Gracie gets annoyed here and there with them. She likes her peace.

So nice things are good and very happy to hear an update.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! Long time no talk! So, two things: I wasn't getting notifications so I had no idea there was more conversation happening on the thread!! I'm so sorry!
And the other thing is that I suddenly got SWAMPED with things so I haven't been able to update. I'm sorry about that too!!
Hi there! No need for apologies. Or else I'm going to have to start too. :blush:
I cannot believe that so much time has passed. OMy cats....where has the time gone?? :blackcat::caticon::bluepaw::greenpaw:

I was going to bother you for an update...but figured it had to be on a wednesday (for some odd reason I thought that wednesdays were update days)...then I figured that 'no news is good news'...or it's either....'good, neutral, or bad'.
I was so very hoping that it wasn't bad.
I have to change my mindset to 'only good or neutral'. :)

I should have just asked, even if you weren't receiving notifications...which sometimes happens to me, too.
I just lose track of time.
But I guess this is where we can bring this introduction thread to an end, because while K and T aren't buddy-buddy things are generally uneventful. They're still changing day to day, week to week, but we haven't had to put the gate up at all (!!) and generally when they chase each other, they're playing.

T is still reluctant to engage fully. They're still feeling each other out. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if their relationship keeps changing even a year from now.
Yay! Whoo hoo! yay!...:thumbsup::cheerleader::clap2::woo::woohoo:
(not for the bringing this introduction thread to an end...cause that will make me sad...haha.)...but for the K and T being "generallly uneventful" part. :jive:
"Uneventful" is good ...in the cat world.
I think with cat introductions....we all strive for 'uneventful'...peaceful...minimal drama.:cloud9:

Yay...for not having to put the gate up at all...and for playing. :biggrin:
"They're still feeling each other out. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if their relationship keeps changing even a year from now."
Yeah, I figure K and T's relationship changing is a good thing, and quite normal.

Hopefully, they just get more and more relaxed being around one another. :)
We actually left the house for 20-30 minutes yesterday and left T out, so both cats were out and unsupervised, which is a first. And when we came home to absolutely nothing out of the ordinary, we breathed a sigh of relief.
Haha...yes, I suppose when you return home, and everything is as it should be, ...then all is well. :cool2:
I think our cats just end of sleeping, and when we return home...and they have an actual audience...then that is the time when chaos and shenanigans rule. They have no fun when no one is there to see them do it. :evilgrin:

The cats probably wonder, "oh, back so soon. I was just enjoying my nap.".... "Did you bring me anything?"
I have a picture from yesterday for you where K was cleaning after a snack, and T was just rolling over nearby, content to watch K cleaning. K whipped her head up every so often just to make sure T wasn't trying any funny stuff. But they were like this for a few minutes at least:
Adorable!
I hope you get more photos like this. :cloud9:
That's what it's all about.
Being in the same room, ...and nothing happening.
Here is an interaction (split into two videos) from the beginning of May that I was so excited to share with you then (well, still excited now!):

Ignore the game sounds and classical music, haha.

K has just finished a snack and T was busy being annoying. T has just gone and hid inside the curtains.
Oh my goodness, these two videos are fantastic! :spew:
Especially the second one, where both K and T are playing.
Using the curtain, as a buffer, and 'peek a boo' type of play. Hilarious. :crackup: :lol: :flail:

Oh, and that 'cat den'...or 'cat house' you built for K....is amazing.
Or did you buy it?
How did you build it, and what is it for? A litter box?
What a super idea. :thumbsup:

(I have to go offline now, for awhile, because it's still daylight here, and super hot, so have some things to do in the basement, but will be back...to of course...give my detailed reply/observations...to your awesome videos.)

Even though I didn't ask for an update, ...know that I often was thinking about K and T and wondering what they were up too.
I just figured they were playing...in their own way...and keeping you busy.
If you don't have to supervise them anymore, ...then that is sweet.

Thanks so much for the photo, and videos, and update.
It's really made my day...to see K and T playing like that.:blush: :cloud9: :clover:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AWESOME!!! I KNEW you and Catnap would succeed!!! :yess: :hyper::clap2:

"T is still reluctant to engage fully. They're still feeling each other out. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if their relationship keeps changing even a year from now." - Just keep making positive associations, maximizing positive encounters, minimize negative encounters and distract as needed. I think a year from now it will change in a more positive way which is great. I am not worried at all.

"We actually left the house for 20-30 minutes yesterday and left T out, so both cats were out and unsupervised, which is a first. And when we came home to absolutely nothing out of the ordinary, we breathed a sigh of relief." - AWESOME!!

"I have a picture from yesterday for you where K was cleaning after a snack, and T was just rolling over nearby, content to watch K cleaning. K whipped her head up every so often just to make sure T wasn't trying any funny stuff. But they were like this for a few minutes at least:" - This is AMAZING. Extremely telling. I always say, let the cats tell us what they think. No cat would EVER expose their belly to someone they don't trust. This tells me so much and is so positive. GREAT!!! T is telling us that she trust K. Awesome!!!

"To me, that seemed really like play. Hopefully you don't think differently. K chased T all the way upstairs but there was no yelling or screaming or anything, then K came right back down, and T followed partway (then chickened out)." - The videos are total play. And the result again tells us that. Just reassure them, make it positive but it went well. The fact K showed restraint when T acted like prey (ran) was great. They are fine. Just keep building confidence, making positive associations, making positive encounters. You are at success so now it is just making those small continued improvements.

Chases are often play. Just watch how they act after. Any changes, hiding, caution, body language etc. If they rebound quickly they are telling us it was nothing. Cats will have disagreements, even cats that are close and love each other. The key it to just do the things to help them get over it. All the things we have talked about confidence building, positive associations, encounters, etc. Distract as needed in a positive way.

"The only thing that remains that I'd like to see change doesn't have to do with T, actually, it's that K acts paranoid sometimes when she's awake and it seems like she's looking for T. But half the time, T is within view and K fully ignores her to stare off into the distance with a worried look on her face." - Don't read too much into things. Watch what they are telling us. If you sense something just give some reassurance. But they are fine.

I am SO PROUD of K, T and of course you!! GREAT JOB!!! :yess::hyper::clap2:

Always here if you need us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

acari

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, and that 'cat den'...or 'cat house' you built for K....is amazing.
Or did you buy it?
How did you build it, and what is it for? A litter box?
What a super idea. :thumbsup:

(I have to go offline now, for awhile, because it's still daylight here, and super hot, so have some things to do in the basement, but will be back...to of course...give my detailed reply/observations...to your awesome videos.)
It's where K eats now, because she gets irritated if T gets near her when there's food involved (although K has no problem cleaning off T's plate...). So to avoid any possible problems or food-related issues we decided to build this little hutch for her, and we installed a microchip door so that only K can get in.
I think more commonly people will cut a hole in a large plastic bin and attach the door that way, without building anything - this is if they need to separate cats for meals or the litter box.

It's a little overkill, I think, but over the last few weeks T has been coming closer and closer when I'm putting the plate down for K inside...can't be too cautious.

Our line of thinking was that food was the easiest way to get them to tolerate each other's presence, so if there was any fighting happening then it kind of turns into double the negativity: scared of each other + scared of food (maybe). So we're just maximizing the amount of positivity possible with mealtime!

And, it's another "higher" place for K to hang out in this room. She likes to lay down on top.

I hope you stay cool during this heat wave!!

I am SO PROUD of K, T and of course you!! GREAT JOB!!! :yess::hyper::clap2:

Always here if you need us.
Thank you so much C calicosrspecial and everyone else.

I really couldn't have done it without your support and I REALLY appreciate the time all of you have taken to read and respond. Thank you thank you thank you!!