Cat Introduction

agipson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, everyone.

I recently adopted a female, spayed cat about three wks ago, approx. a year old (Luna). I currently have a male, neutered 3 year old cat at home (Kakashi). I figured to adopt Luna since Kakashi always has energy. They both have the same temperament and energy to play, and they both love people and being in your face.

I started off with keeping them separate, exchanging scents, etc. I even closed the crack of the door that separates Luna from Kakashi so they don't tussle underneath the door. I then exchanged them every day for a couple of hours just so that they could get a feel for each other.

For the past couple of days, I've let them interact with each other. Kakashi is more curious than mad at Luna (and me, for bringing her). He likes to get in her face and space. She doesn't like it, and so she will swat at him and sometimes growl to let him know that he's too close. As of late, however, Kakashi will be standing approximately ten feet away, but then Luna will start to chase him and bat at him, even sometimes growl and hiss. Kakashi thinks it's a game, but I am not really sure if her hissing and growling constitutes this as such. How do I go about trying to get them to get along while briefly interacting with each other without Luna constantly being a bully to my older cat? There have been NO fights, blood shed, hair flying, etc...

Thanks for any help you can give!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growling and hissing is not a game BUT if Kakashi is cool with it, great chance Luna will get it out of her system eventually. So you have to let them be, expanding their together time while monitoring and shutting it down if it goes bad. Cat this young of similar activity levels, you have a pretty good chance of it working out.

One correction for ya might help a little -- sounds like you are worrying about the wrong cat. Luna is the one that is stressed, that is almost certainly the reason she is acting this way. So she isn't being a bully at all -- she is acting like a stressed kitty acts. Kakashi, by contrast, just wants to play and is curious. So whatever you can do to calm Luna -- give treats when other cat is around, distract with play, could help. If things get worse and you need some calming products, Luna would be the target.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

agipson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the words, you guys. I have been keeping up with the interactions roughly 30 minutes a day. It seems Kakashi doesn't understand that Luna isn't playing. I've tried distracting them with the laser pointer and giving treats when they aren't batting paws at each other. Yesterday, however, Kakashi was chasing her around and Luna swiped at him and scratched him on the nose. He didn't understand that she was annoyed, and still thinks she is playing. It's making me sad, because I don't want to have them separated their entire lives in separate rooms, nor do I want Luna to be stressed all the time because she is annoyed. They are both sweet, loving, and very playful when separated, but together, it doesn't seem to work. Should I restart the introduction process? Should I put a screened door up/baby gates so that they can see but not touch each other? I will definitely look into these articles!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

agipson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also failed to mention, that literally whenever Luna sees Kakashi, I see the annoyance starting by her tail moving irritably.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
agipson agipson Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2:

I don't have personal experience with more than one cat in the same household, so can't advise on your situation. However, below are links to a few articles which may be helpful.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
The Multi-cat Household

Good luck. I hope eventually Luna and Kakashi become best buds. :catlove:

Also, we'd love to see pictures of Luna and Kakashi. :camera: Perhaps you could start a new thread in the New Cats on the Block forum.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Remember...it isn't unusual for a successful integration of cats to take WEEKS, sometimes months. Sink your teeth deep into your patience, and HANG ON!

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is a balancing act between letting them work it out and stopping the interaction before it gets ugly.

Hissing and growling are generally benign "Don't mess with me" signals. There will be boxing and wrestling and a meowch here and there but keep at it. Make sure their interactions are generally positive and let them go longer when possible. Use lots of play and lots of treats. Watch the resident cat for clues about when she is ready for more.