Cat Introduction Hiccups

BogCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

We are currently trying to introduce our new cat (Google female 8 months old) to our resident cat (Mama female 6 years old). We have been using the Jackson Galaxy method of introduction and it's been about a month since we brought Google home. We fed them across a closed door until they were comfortable at close proximity. Then we repeated the process with a screen door. Now we are at the part where they are in the same room together with mixed reception.

We are showering the cats with toys and treats and affection when they are doing their play sessions, but we are having trouble translating that into coexistence. Mama does not like the new cat within a few foot radius of her. Google will sometimes want to approach Mama to check her out and I try to redirect her, but this usually results in Mama hissing and chasing her away. (No growling, no hackles raised, and no contact. To me, it reads more like Mama communicating "this is my personal bubble and I dont want you in it). Mama also does not want her in the same cat tower as her, and Google *only* wants to be in the same cat tower despite us having 4. Other times, she is fine with the close proximity and they will greet each other nose to nose.

They are usually perfectly fine together. Yesterday, they took a nap for an hour together a few feet apart. I guess the only issue we have left is finding a happy comfort zone with Mama's personal space.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BogCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im not sure how to edit, but I wanted to add that this doesn't seem related to Mama's "possessions". If Google is in one of the towers or by one of the food bowls by herself, Mama isnt going to chase her. It is strictly when Google enters Mama's personal space (usually from behind)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS! What you are describing doesn't sound bad, especially not after just one month's time. Some cats just take longer to adapt to a newcomer, and other cats just never get beyond the toleration stage. Mama could be one of these cats in either scenario.

More time may resolve the situation, along with Google getting a bit more mature and less kitten-like. As long as neither cat appears to be stressed over the interactions, and no real fighting is taking place, I would let Mama 'teach' Google what is and is not acceptable to her - Google will learn and respond accordingly, eventually. You can intervene when you see something alarming or when you just can't take any more of what Mama does, but otherwise I think you should let it play out and see if it starts lessening over time.

Re: editing - you will be able to edit once you have 20 posts and 5 days of membership. Here is a listing of information about what 'abilities' you will gain over time.
Promotions and Benefits | TheCatSite