Cat Introduction .... Failure?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So today little Amy moved in with us!
Eve and Amy are great together! They play much and it's adorable!
Monty isn't pleased right now 😅 and doesn't seem to recognise Eve anymore. He hisses and grolws at both of them. He just needs a few days to get used to her :)View attachment 424505

Them meeting for the first time

Playtime :)
"So today little Amy moved in with us!" - SHE IS GORGEOUS!!!

"Eve and Amy are great together! They play much and it's adorable!" - Awwwwwwww. The play video is AWESOME!!!

Amy does not lack confidence!!!

"Monty isn't pleased right now 😅" - Awwwwwwww :/ Try to make it positive for him. Use food, love (safely), etc.

"and doesn't seem to recognise Eve anymore. " - :/

"He hisses and grolws at both of them." - Ok. Just try to reassure him, make positive associations. Let him know love and food and water and litter box and territory do not change. That everything stays positive.

" He just needs a few days to get used to her :) " - Yes, maybe a touch more. Make those positive associations, positive encounters, reassure, let him know all is positive.

How is Cosmo reacting?

They are SO ADROABLE!! Kittens :)

caytexo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply!
It's really tough at times, we just want them to tolerate eachother and when a fight breaks out it's a real bummer. I have too many people around who treat our situation as a failure and all those negative comments about it doesnt make it any easier, so your kind words mean alot.

We will try having them around eachother with treats and play.

How can I differ between play and real fight? I mean I know that Monty probably wasn't playing with him, as Csomo was the only one who was chased.
I was just a little worried, because Monty didn't show any sign of aggression towards him and suddenly tried to bite his neck.

Hello! Currently in middle of intro with 3 year old female resident cat and 6 month old male kitten. We are a bit further than you in the Jackson Galaxy introduction, but I noticed that the chasing is play when a) it's quick, maybe into another room or down the hallway and then stops; and b) when they take turns chasing each other. Also, if the tails are up or not down, that should mean it's playtime. Our kitten makes no vocalizations when they play, but our resident cat definitely hisses and growls when he pisses her off. He is rough and likes to grab/tackle her. But he STOPS when she vocalizes that. You can also tell that it's play and not a fight if they mess around and then stop for a break, then start back up.

One thing I had to get over was the fact that it's OKAY if they hiss/swat/growl because they are asserting their hierarchy. Our resident cat is the dominant one and I can tell that is what she is conveying to our kitten - "Leave me alone, I don't like that, I want to rest so stop messing with me." It took a couple weeks of intensity and love/hate energy, but our kitten is certainly learning his boundaries with her. Our resident cat will find a spot to sleep away from him and he won't bother her. But they are starting routines - playtime in the morning and in the evening. Relax/do their own thing near or away from each other during the day. It's just an adjustment period. I don't think you should shelter them away from each other TOO much because I'm sure you feel you're not making progress at times. Separate them if it gets bad, but praise and treats if they have any neutral and positive interactions. Like Jackson Galaxy has said, "at the end of this you should have two cats who don't care about each other." AKA they can live peacefully together and eventually grow to become best friends.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RocketPuppy97

Can Opener for Monty & Cosmo
Adult Cat
Purraise
My goodness where did the time go? 😅 Been a long while again.

Cosmo didn't seem to care much, one kitten or two didn't really make a difference for him. He's really great with both of them and grooms them often 🥺 we call him Mama Cosmo, because he's pretty insistent that those baby's are always dirty 😂

IMG20220721173726.jpg

IMG20220730160458.jpg

Monty got over it pretty quickly too. He also loves both of them very much. He'll also run around with them!

IMG20220806173007.jpg

They've grown so much already. Gotten their second round of vaccines and are little devils.

They bring us so much joy every day!
So have a few more cute pictures of them!

IMG20220808194049.jpg

IMG20220805203013.jpg

IMG20220802184713.jpg

IMG20220719182133.jpg

IMG20220714105711.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My goodness where did the time go? 😅 Been a long while again.

Cosmo didn't seem to care much, one kitten or two didn't really make a difference for him. He's really great with both of them and grooms them often 🥺 we call him Mama Cosmo, because he's pretty insistent that those baby's are always dirty 😂

View attachment 428696
View attachment 428697

Monty got over it pretty quickly too. He also loves both of them very much. He'll also run around with them!

View attachment 428698

They've grown so much already. Gotten their second round of vaccines and are little devils.

They bring us so much joy every day!
So have a few more cute pictures of them!

View attachment 428699
View attachment 428700
View attachment 428701
View attachment 428702
View attachment 428703
OH MY GOODNESS!!!! How ADORABLE are those pictures?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

"Cosmo didn't seem to care much, one kitten or two didn't really make a difference for him. He's really great with both of them and grooms them often 🥺 we call him Mama Cosmo, because he's pretty insistent that those baby's are always dirty 😂" - Awwwwwwwwww, that is SO SWEET!!! It literally makes my heart fill with LOVE!!!

"Monty got over it pretty quickly too. He also loves both of them very much. He'll also run around with them!" - Awwwww, I can totally see him doing that!!!

WOW!!! What a FANTSTIC update!!!! Heart warming is an understatement!!!

Thank you so much for the WONDERFUL update!!!! I was thinking of you all. Even better than I could have hoped!!

GREAT WORK!!!! WELL DONE!!! :)

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
Since it's been such a long time since I last wrote I think it's time for an update.

Well I separated from my partner (well RIP Catio I guess) it just wasn't working out for me anymore. He kept Monty. I took the other three since he didn't want Cosmo because he would be too much of a hassle because of the peeing.
I miss Monty every day. He was my first ever cat and I don't know if I'll ever get over the fact that I'll never see him again.

So as if that wasn't enough. Amy gave me a pretty bad health scare. She was eating less and less and we suspected it was because she was teething at the time. We ran blood work and her kidney values were severely increased and I thought that's it. I would have to put my kitten down that's just a few month old. We gave her infusions every day, put her on a kidney specific diet and did and ultrasound. Well turns out her kidneys are not how they are supposed to be. They are deformed and we suspect it could be polycystic Kidney disease since we were able to rule out the typical infections diseases.
But to my surprise she started eating again and her kidney values are mostly normal now. She'll stay on a specific diet for the rest of her life. Hopefully her life won't be too short because of that.
Now she's a happy little kitten and there seems to be nothing wrong with her.

Since I moved out and live in a small apartment Cosmo seemed to be happy and content for a little while, but started peeing outside the litter box a few weeks after moving in. In a last desperate attempt I changed the litter to clay and accidentally bought one bag of non clumping litter. And it seems to work out. I have one litter box with non clumping absorbed litter and all other with normal clay litter.
I switched him on another medication for cats with stress bladders and he just stopped peeing outside the box.
I'm still stunned because it's been a problem for years and now I'm so suspicious because it's solved

Just wanted to leave this update here.
I hope everyone of you is well and healthy.
Please cuddle your cats from me!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you SO much for the update, I always wonder how things are going. May I ask what medication you found for stress peeing? I would like to know for a stressed cat I have.
I am so glad things are going better, PLEASE keep in touch and give us updates, there are a lot of people out there with the same problems! PS remember Monty is in the hands of someone who wanted him enough to take him. He is loved and happy.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since it's been such a long time since I last wrote I think it's time for an update.

"Well I separated from my partner (well RIP Catio I guess) it just wasn't working out for me anymore." - I am so sorry. I trust you made the best decision and I truly hope more happiness is soon for you.

"He kept Monty. I took the other three since he didn't want Cosmo because he would be too much of a hassle because of the peeing.
I miss Monty every day. He was my first ever cat and I don't know if I'll ever get over the fact that I'll never see him again." - :( Hopefully never say never. That is really difficult. I am sure Monty is in good hands though. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I am heartbroken.

"So as if that wasn't enough. Amy gave me a pretty bad health scare. She was eating less and less and we suspected it was because she was teething at the time. We ran blood work and her kidney values were severely increased and I thought that's it. I would have to put my kitten down that's just a few month old. We gave her infusions every day, put her on a kidney specific diet and did and ultrasound. Well turns out her kidneys are not how they are supposed to be. They are deformed and we suspect it could be polycystic Kidney disease since we were able to rule out the typical infections diseases." - Ughhhhhhhhh, I am SO SORRY.

"But to my surprise she started eating again and her kidney values are mostly normal now. She'll stay on a specific diet for the rest of her life. Hopefully her life won't be too short because of that." - WOW!!!! THAT is AMAZING!!! I HOPE her rebound to health continues.

"Now she's a happy little kitten and there seems to be nothing wrong with her." - WOW!!!! GREAT WORK!!!!

"Since I moved out and live in a small apartment Cosmo seemed to be happy and content for a little while, but started peeing outside the litter box a few weeks after moving in." - :(

" In a last desperate attempt I changed the litter to clay and accidentally bought one bag of non clumping litter. And it seems to work out. I have one litter box with non clumping absorbed litter and all other with normal clay litter." - GREAT!!! The type of litter can make a difference. Let's hope it is that.

"I switched him on another medication for cats with stress bladders and he just stopped peeing outside the box." - GREAT!!!

"I'm still stunned because it's been a problem for years and now I'm so suspicious because it's solved" - Just go with it. Cats pick up on human stress so the more you accept and happy he is doing better hopefully his stress will be lower.

"Just wanted to leave this update here." - Thank you. Like life, some good, some sad. But we have to move forward the best we can. Thank you for the update and I am always here for you.

"I hope everyone of you is well and healthy." - Thank you. Every day is appreciated the best possible.

"Please cuddle your cats from me!" - ABSOLUTELY. Please give Cosmo and the kitties big hugs and I give you a big hug. You are such an awesome person. I know the changes are difficult but you will find even greater happiness. You deserve it.

Please don't be a stranger. Always here for you.
Well I separated from my partner (well RIP Catio I guess) it just wasn't working out for me anymore. He kept Monty. I took the other three since he didn't want Cosmo because he would be too much of a hassle because of the peeing.
I miss Monty every day. He was my first ever cat and I don't know if I'll ever get over the fact that I'll never see him again.

So as if that wasn't enough. Amy gave me a pretty bad health scare. She was eating less and less and we suspected it was because she was teething at the time. We ran blood work and her kidney values were severely increased and I thought that's it. I would have to put my kitten down that's just a few month old. We gave her infusions every day, put her on a kidney specific diet and did and ultrasound. Well turns out her kidneys are not how they are supposed to be. They are deformed and we suspect it could be polycystic Kidney disease since we were able to rule out the typical infections diseases.
But to my surprise she started eating again and her kidney values are mostly normal now. She'll stay on a specific diet for the rest of her life. Hopefully her life won't be too short because of that.
Now she's a happy little kitten and there seems to be nothing wrong with her.

Since I moved out and live in a small apartment Cosmo seemed to be happy and content for a little while, but started peeing outside the litter box a few weeks after moving in. In a last desperate attempt I changed the litter to clay and accidentally bought one bag of non clumping litter. And it seems to work out. I have one litter box with non clumping absorbed litter and all other with normal clay litter.
I switched him on another medication for cats with stress bladders and he just stopped peeing outside the box.
I'm still stunned because it's been a problem for years and now I'm so suspicious because it's solved

Just wanted to leave this update here.
I hope everyone of you is well and healthy.
Please cuddle your cats from me!

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you SO much for the update, I always wonder how things are going. May I ask what medication you found for stress peeing? I would like to know for a stressed cat I have.
I am so glad things are going better, PLEASE keep in touch and give us updates, there are a lot of people out there with the same problems! PS remember Monty is in the hands of someone who wanted him enough to take him. He is loved and happy.
Well since I'm from Germany I don't know if you would be able to get the stuff I have for Cosmo. It's called astorin CystoCalm and astorin Sedarom. It's both from almapharm and it helped well. He is one Urinary diet as well. And at the moment we're using Feliway optimum as well.
Since changing the litter he hasn't peed outside the litter box anymore!

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
So a lot happened since my last post.
I recently moved in with my new partner and his two cats. I wanted to bring this thread full circle since we had another introduction to do.
And it went so fast. Feeding by the door for a few days. Installing a screen door and continuing to feed by the door.
And now they are already living together?! His two are still a bit sassy but the are all behaving so so well and everyone has their space.
After two weeks we have a happy cat family with five cats and two humans.
Oh and I have so much vertical space for them now!

IMG20230527132133.jpg

IMG20230601095901.jpg

16859626775366279982190880262177.jpg

IMG20230529145313.jpg

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ohmigosh that vertical space is amazing.
Is it a new house or were his already established there?
Sounds like your first intros set you up for shorter success with your second! We had that experience with Nobel. It took a long time with Magnus but then very short with Calcifer.

Love all the photos of your fluffs!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So a lot happened since my last post.
I recently moved in with my new partner and his two cats. I wanted to bring this thread full circle since we had another introduction to do.
And it went so fast. Feeding by the door for a few days. Installing a screen door and continuing to feed by the door.
And now they are already living together?! His two are still a bit sassy but the are all behaving so so well and everyone has their space.
After two weeks we have a happy cat family with five cats and two humans.
Oh and I have so much vertical space for them now!

View attachment 451647
View attachment 451648
View attachment 451649
View attachment 451646
WOW!!!!! COMGRATUATIONS on all the great news!!!!

New relationship, new siblings, no more peeing, AMAZING new place. 😍 ♥

I am SO HAPPY for all of you. You all deserve it!!! ♥♥

Thank you for the fantastic update. Made my year!!!! :cheerleader::heartshape: