Cat Introduction .... Failure?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're absolutely the most amazing person, that much positivity crossing the airwaves to Cosmo and Monty has simply got to be a good thing 💞

Speaking of, RocketPuppy97 RocketPuppy97 (love this name by the way, I always meant to tell you that) how are they doing today?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RocketPuppy97

Can Opener for Monty & Cosmo
Adult Cat
Purraise
"Yeah, that's where the roaches are, but he hasn't been very interessted in them lately." - Were they loud that day or louder than normal?
Nah, I don't think so. Just the normal minimal sounds.

" There is now litterbox inside the office." - Great. Does he use it often?
Sorry, my fat fingers typed now instead of no xD We couldn't fit one in here even if we wanted to, but our bedroom is right across and there is a litterbox right next to the door. It's theri favorite litterbox too.

"The door is always closed when we are not inside so it was closed that morning aswell, like always." - Hmmmmm. that isn't a change then but I wonder if he wants to get in there and can't (which probably isn't every day) it causes him stress?
Maybe it's just something that flares up from time to time? Sometimes it bothers him sometimes it doesn't

"It was just his clothes." - Ok. Does your bf and Cosmo get along well? It always seemed like they did.
Oh, he loves both of us dearly (I like to think that he loves me a little more hehe)

" I put mine up on a stool or put them away. He just pees on stuff when its on the floor, so I don't want to give hik a place to pee." Yes, clothes can be very similar to litter. Does he have any paw issues? Any potential pain issues or any straining while going at times?
I clip their claws regularly and I didn't notice anything on his paws and no licking or limping. He doesn't seem to have any pain while moving. Neither does he seem in pain when he uses the litterbox. The litterboxes we have should also be big enough for them. They can rotate fine in there and the opening is quite large.

"I spoke with my vet and I'll give him CBD now and see if it helps him. Maybe it helps with stress or anxiety he seems to be having " - Worth a try. There is something but it just isn't obvious. :/
He seems to be a bit calmer when we give it to them in the morning and at night. He's not walking down the hallway meowing that much anymore.
And it gives the optional benefit that when they get it at around 18:30 and they were just chasing each other it takes ~15-20 minutes for them to fully stop and start chilling again.
So we can't fully keep Monty from starting it, we can at least keep it a bit shorter

I'm sorry. I feel like I let Cosmo down.
It's okay, you didn't let him down. I'm glad that you always give me advice! Cat problems are just not the easiest to solve

Speaking of, RocketPuppy97 RocketPuppy97 RocketPuppy97 RocketPuppy97 (love this name by the way, I always meant to tell you that) how are they doing today?
Tahnky you, I appreciate it!

They were doing fine today, had a bit of chasing at 18 and after giving them their CBD it's been fine. We had no peeing and he seems to be in a better mood the past few days.

One thing that came to my mind last night, I think what caused so much peeing from Cosmo could have been that too many factors came together and he couldn't handle it and was stressed for a few days which = peeing multiple times.
I mean he had an upset stomach two days, we trew a few boxes away that were piling up from ordering much online. One of these boxes was a huge square one where Cosmo would always lay on in the living room. And we stupid humans took it away, well just stealing his new sleeping spot (Not that there weren't 100 other more comfortable places to sleep on, cats are weird)
And when he started peeing we had that one morining where my bf stumbled and got really angry. After taking his box away he wanted to lay on his fluffy pillow in the office, because that's another place where he just loves to sleep, right next to us. Since we didn't let him in there either it would just make sense for him to pee, because his territory seems to be highly restricted.

I don't know if that's what happening, but it seems like that would fit Cosmos way of acting.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 361789View attachment 361790
This was him being really adorable today!
Awwwwwww, understatement of a lifetime!! I just love him!!! :)

"Nah, I don't think so. Just the normal minimal sounds." - Not that then. :/

"Sorry, my fat fingers typed now instead of no xD We couldn't fit one in here even if we wanted to, but our bedroom is right across and there is a litterbox right next to the door. It's theri favorite litterbox too." - Yep, doesn't seem like that is it either. :/ He doesn't really pee in the office, right?

"Maybe it's just something that flares up from time to time? Sometimes it bothers him sometimes it doesn't" - It could be. The fact it bothers him sometimes tell me it might be an issue. Cats are territorial so any time territory is not available it can be disconcerting. Especially if there is something else that might be causing some issues. So on a good day it might not bother him but on a more stressful day he might want to go in there and if he can't.

"I clip their claws regularly and I didn't notice anything on his paws and no licking or limping. He doesn't seem to have any pain while moving. Neither does he seem in pain when he uses the litterbox. The litterboxes we have should also be big enough for them. They can rotate fine in there and the opening is quite large. " - Doesn't sound like any issues. Are the litter boxes covered? But again, since it is not a change not sure why that would cause issues sometimes. :/

"He seems to be a bit calmer when we give it to them in the morning and at night. He's not walking down the hallway meowing that much anymore." - Yes, it should help.

"And it gives the optional benefit that when they get it at around 18:30 and they were just chasing each other it takes ~15-20 minutes for them to fully stop and start chilling again. So we can't fully keep Monty from starting it, we can at least keep it a bit shorter " - That is good. Well, Monty loves Cosmo and loves that kind of play. Hard to give up fun with a brother. :/ As I speak mine are really running around, chasing, having fun. Cats.................. They just had lunch and should be sleeping!!!!

"They were doing fine today, had a bit of chasing at 18 and after giving them their CBD it's been fine. We had no peeing and he seems to be in a better mood the past few days." GREAT!!!

"One thing that came to my mind last night, I think what caused so much peeing from Cosmo could have been that too many factors came together and he couldn't handle it and was stressed for a few days which = peeing multiple times. I mean he had an upset stomach two days, we trew a few boxes away that were piling up from ordering much online." - Totally agree.

"One of these boxes was a huge square one where Cosmo would always lay on in the living room." - Ahhhhhhhh, yes. That would be considered territory for Cosmo.

" And we stupid humans took it away" - Please don't be too hard on yourself. We do things like that all the time. We can't think like cats 24/7.

"well just stealing his new sleeping spot (Not that there weren't 100 other more comfortable places to sleep on, cats are weird)" - Yep. :/

"And when he started peeing we had that one morining where my bf stumbled and got really angry. After taking his box away he wanted to lay on his fluffy pillow in the office, because that's another place where he just loves to sleep, right next to us. Since we didn't let him in there either it would just make sense for him to pee, because his territory seems to be highly restricted." - Exactly!! REALLY GREAT job analyzing this!!! EXACTLY correct I believe!!!

"I don't know if that's what happening, but it seems like that would fit Cosmos way of acting." - I think that is the best explanation. Cosmo is sensitive to begin with and add a confluence of those things and it causes issues.

Let's see going forward to try to limit or spread those things out and see if it helps.

REALLY GREAT job of analyzing this. It is the best explanation. :clap2:

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And I should add, cats do not like change. So any change, change in routine, change in furniture, litter box placement, eating locations, etc. Cats are creatures of habit so for some cats any change can cause issues while other can accept a lot of change. It just depends. :/

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
I was away for a bit, because my boss got sick (tested negative for corona) and since she's the only vet running this place, we were a bit lost throwing out whole schedule out the window.

So now to the cats:
No peeing this far.
But I think we kinda messed up their sleep schedule. So when Cosmo had a phase where he peed outside the litter box, we started talking to him and calling for him when he's walking down the hallway meowing, because we were afraid he would turn around and pee anywhere. Talking to him would usually persuade him and he would use the litterbox.
So now the problem were facing is: 5 o'clock Cosmo walking down the hallway meowing. And we've been talking to him to keep him from peeing. Now we realised, well he's kinda making sure that we are awake to feed him.
We've been kinda bad at playing with them lately so they will start running around, sometimes a little bit of chasing but not excessively.
Our new game plan is: playing right before bed, feeding and hopefully sleeping through the night.
Otherwise: Ignoring him. Pretending to sleep when he still wakes up too early.

I'm also preparing for feeding them more wet food. I haven't changed anything yet, I have to get the smaller cans empty in order to start the big ones.
I don't want to risk one of them getting an UTI or other health related problems.
So it's gonna be 3 times a day wet and right before bed a tiny bit of kibble to get us through the night.

They both have been really cuddly lately. I'll find them sleeping next to each other more often.
The chasing didn't stop completely, but it hasn't been as much lately.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was away for a bit, because my boss got sick (tested negative for corona) and since she's the only vet running this place, we were a bit lost throwing out whole schedule out the window.

So now to the cats:
No peeing this far.
But I think we kinda messed up their sleep schedule. So when Cosmo had a phase where he peed outside the litter box, we started talking to him and calling for him when he's walking down the hallway meowing, because we were afraid he would turn around and pee anywhere. Talking to him would usually persuade him and he would use the litterbox.
So now the problem were facing is: 5 o'clock Cosmo walking down the hallway meowing. And we've been talking to him to keep him from peeing. Now we realised, well he's kinda making sure that we are awake to feed him.
We've been kinda bad at playing with them lately so they will start running around, sometimes a little bit of chasing but not excessively.
Our new game plan is: playing right before bed, feeding and hopefully sleeping through the night.

I'm also preparing for feeding them more wet food. I haven't changed anything yet, I have to get the smaller cans empty in order to start the big ones.
I don't want to risk one of them getting an UTI or other health related problems.
So it's gonna be 3 times a day wet and right before bed a tiny bit of kibble to get us through the night.

They both have been really cuddly lately. I'll find them sleeping next to each other more often.
"I was away for a bit, because my boss got sick (tested negative for corona) and since she's the only vet running this place, we were a bit lost throwing out whole schedule out the window." - Understandable. I am so happy that she was tested negative.

"So now to the cats: No peeing this far." - GREAT!!!

"But I think we kinda messed up their sleep schedule." - Let's see. No peeing means it couldn't be too messed up.

"So when Cosmo had a phase where he peed outside the litter box, we started talking to him and calling for him when he's walking down the hallway meowing, because we were afraid he would turn around and pee anywhere. Talking to him would usually persuade him and he would use the litterbox." - I think that is good. I am a big believer intervening or "distracting" on issues.

"So now the problem were facing is: 5 o'clock Cosmo walking down the hallway meowing. And we've been talking to him to keep him from peeing. Now we realised, well he's kinda making sure that we are awake to feed him." - Yep. :/ Not surprising. My cats are always pestering at about 4am. :/

"We've been kinda bad at playing with them lately so they will start running around, sometimes a little bit of chasing but not excessively." - Yes, excess energy.

"Our new game plan is: playing right before bed, feeding and hopefully sleeping through the night." - Yes, I think that is prefect.

"Otherwise: Ignoring him. Pretending to sleep when he still wakes up too early." - How is he handling this?

"I'm also preparing for feeding them more wet food. I haven't changed anything yet, I have to get the smaller cans empty in order to start the big ones." - I think that is a good idea.

"I don't want to risk one of them getting an UTI or other health related problems." - Agreed.

"So it's gonna be 3 times a day wet and right before bed a tiny bit of kibble to get us through the night." - Good plan.

"They both have been really cuddly lately. I'll find them sleeping next to each other more often." - Awwwwwwww. They do love each other. But it is wonderful to hear this.

"The chasing didn't stop completely, but it hasn't been as much lately." GREAT!!!

Sounds like you are making great progress. I think what you are doing is working. Great job!! Stay observant to notice any changes.

Stay safe. It is bad here and I hear it is pretty bad in Germany now. Hopefully in a few months with the vaccines we will be nearing the end.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So now to the cats:
No peeing this far.

Hi,

I got an email about your post but then the site went down and now I don't see your post BUT I figured out how to copy what you wrote and respond. I hope it works. I actually was going to message you and see how you are doing as Germany is having such Covid issues now. :(

"Hi, been away for a long time. Had my final exams and things got kinda hectic. But we are all alive and well! I hope you guys are doing good too." - I am so glad to hear from you and hear you all are safe and healthy.

For the cat update:
"The chasing got alot less frequent. Monty usually only chases Cosmo in the morning but that's rather rare now, most times he'll cuddle with me till I stand up." - WONDERFUL!!!! THAT is so great!!

"Cosmo is still our little weirdo." - Awwwwwww, he is just a normal cat really.

" He wants to get inside of everything. Everywhere he's been in by accident, he claims is a place where he should be allowed permanently." - Hahahahaha, yep. Typical cat. Going where we don't want the to go. And the more we say they can't go there the more they want and do go there. Cats..........................

"For example we have a storage room right next to the livingroom and sometimes he sneaks inside when we are looking for something inside. So he will scratch and howl at the door at random times, but he can't be in there." - Yep. :/

"Another example is he managed to get under our kitchen, it took us month to get it in a state where he can't get under there. Now he'll yell and try to get in there." - Yep. So typical. :/

"It's odd because he's a really confident cat all day and feels really comfortable in the whole apartment." - It may not be a confidence issue. More of an independence issue.

"Other times hell just walk around and meow and meow and howl and all that shit." - Wanting his own way?

"Usually in the evening or night." - Yews, that is when they want to hunt, etc. :/

"It doesn't change when we play with him or stuff." - :/

"We just don't know what causes this." - I wonder if it a hunting, evening issue. Cats get active at dusk etc and can get anxious.

"We think maybe he has an anxiety problem." - Yes, could be though probably not a full blown anxiety issue. More of a wanting to go out and hunt, etc. Does it happen at all times of the day?

"But we can't change him, so for the most part we accepted it as it is." - Yes. :/ I have been there. It does get easier in time. He is still young with loads of energy which amplifies that. :/

"We are also looking into buying a house, maybe he'll like it more when there are no loud annoying neighbours. " - Cool, that is awesome!!

Cosmo was living on the streets before you got him, correct?

Sounds like things are going well. Except for Cosmo getting a little anxious. But the chasing sounds better.

I am so glad to hear from you and so glad you are staying safe. I love Monty and Cosmo so I am so glad they are doing well.

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, the site is finally working again :)
We just don't know what causes this." - I wonder if it a hunting, evening issue. Cats get active at dusk etc and can get anxious.

"We think maybe he has an anxiety problem." - Yes, could be though probably not a full blown anxiety issue. More of a wanting to go out and hunt, etc. Does it happen at all times of the day?
It's usually after feeding them that he walks through the hallway meowing and make all kinds of other sounds. After 5-10 minutes he'll go to sleep and will be all fine. He also meows before using the litter box, but it didn't seem to be a medical issue, because everything comes back normal when we get him checked.
And he'll do it a last time after getting his dry food right before bed.
It's tough to say when exactly he does it, because we are so used to him screaming that I can't pin point it.

Cosmo was living on the streets before you got him, correct?
No, he wasn't to my knowledge. We got him from a sketchy family, but I don't think he was treated well there. He behaves like a street cat for sure 😂 he steals food and gets into the bin like a maniac. Even tho they get fed 4 times a day.

The last couple of days he resorted to peeing inside the bathtub after walking through the hallway after the last feeding time.

I washed it away every morning, but today I used that special cleaning agent. Maybe now it's gonna be better

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, the site is finally working again :)

It's usually after feeding them that he walks through the hallway meowing and make all kinds of other sounds. After 5-10 minutes he'll go to sleep and will be all fine. He also meows before using the litter box, but it didn't seem to be a medical issue, because everything comes back normal when we get him checked.
And he'll do it a last time after getting his dry food right before bed.
It's tough to say when exactly he does it, because we are so used to him screaming that I can't pin point it.

No, he wasn't to my knowledge. We got him from a sketchy family, but I don't think he was treated well there. He behaves like a street cat for sure 😂 he steals food and gets into the bin like a maniac. Even tho they get fed 4 times a day.

The last couple of days he resorted to peeing inside the bathtub after walking through the hallway after the last feeding time.

I washed it away every morning, but today I used that special cleaning agent. Maybe now it's gonna be better
Yes!!! :)

"It's usually after feeding them that he walks through the hallway meowing and make all kinds of other sounds." - Does Cosmo eat with Monty? Can he see him? Do you think he might be calling Monty? Does Monty respond and come to him when he does that? Or does Monty act differently in any way when he hears that?

"After 5-10 minutes he'll go to sleep and will be all fine." - Interesting. Does he seem to eat faster than normal?

"He also meows before using the litter box, but it didn't seem to be a medical issue, because everything comes back normal when we get him checked." - Interesting. Sometimes it can be discomfort or pain not really easily found. Does he walk differently after eating, before using the litter box? Are his stools "normal"? Does he seem to drink enough? Pee "normally"? Meaning same amount and as often as "normal"?

"And he'll do it a last time after getting his dry food right before bed." - After it being put down or after eating it?

"It's tough to say when exactly he does it, because we are so used to him screaming that I can't pin point it." - Yes, it is. I know exactly. Sometimes only when we focus on it to do we kind of realize something might be going on.

Hmmmmmmm. Let's keep trying to figure it out.

"No, he wasn't to my knowledge. We got him from a sketchy family, but I don't think he was treated well there." - :/

" He behaves like a street cat for sure 😂 he steals food and gets into the bin like a maniac. Even tho they get fed 4 times a day." - How is his weight? Stable? Hahahaha, 2 of my cats steal food even though they eat (they just like whatever is mine). BUT mine were street cats. Hahahahaha. The problem is they will not eat their food then want what I am having. :/

"The last couple of days he resorted to peeing inside the bathtub after walking through the hallway after the last feeding time." - :( At least it is the bathtub. BUT I just wonder if he has some pain or something. An odd place for territorial. Urine test came out fine? No crystals? Any leg or paw issues you can see when he is walking?

"I washed it away every morning, but today I used that special cleaning agent. Maybe now it's gonna be better" - That is good. It is important to break it down since it is a bit tricky to remove. Enzymatic cleaners are really helpful.

How is he acting otherwise? Pretty normal?

Part of me wonders if he misses Monty chasing him, rough playing, etc. :/ Do they seem less "close" lately?

Any chance there is an intact male he is smelling? I know you are above the street but any neighbors have or bring in cats? Or I guess intact dogs?

Springtime can bring a lot of changes in animals and of course pollen, etc.

Let's try to figure it out. Must be something.

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
Does Cosmo eat with Monty? Can he see him? Do you think he might be calling Monty? Does Monty respond and come to him when he does that? Or does Monty act differently in any way when he hears that?
Yeah, they eat together in the kitchen. We have a pillar in the middle of the kitchen, we feed them on either side of it so they are not to close to each other, but they know the other one is there and they can just look around it. Usually Monty is the one who's finished first with his food, he'll go to the windowsill and groom himself, Cosmo can still see him from across the room. Cosmo will check that every bit of food is eaten and then go meow after a few minutes. I don't think he's calling for Monty. Monty couldn't care less when Cosmo is meowing. No, Monty will just go to my boyfriend, hop on his lap and sleep.

Interesting. Does he seem to eat faster than normal?
No, not at all. We have those lickimats so they can't eat fast anyway. He also doesn't seem stressed while eating or anything like that.

Interesting. Sometimes it can be discomfort or pain not really easily found. Does he walk differently after eating, before using the litter box? Are his stools "normal"? Does he seem to drink enough? Pee "normally"? Meaning same amount and as often as "normal"?
He walks totally normal after eating, peeing and before he has to pee. His stool is fine, not mushy or liquidy. We don't catch the cats drinking often, but we know they use the fountain and we give them 3/4 wet food a day in order to get enough water into them. I'm too scared of them developing serious urinary tract issues 😂
He's also peeing large amounts, nothing different about that. They have their times where they use the litter box, but I didn't really notice something off.

After it being put down or after eating it?
After eating it and checking if anything is left over 😂

How is his weight? Stable? Hahahaha, 2 of my cats steal food even though they eat (they just like whatever is mine). BUT mine were street cats. Hahahahaha. The problem is they will not eat their food then want what I am having. :/
Cosmo's has been stable at around 4,5kg since we got him. He's in good shape not too thin or too thick. Cosmo will eat all of his food and he would eat everything else on top of that if we let him.

At least it is the bathtub. BUT I just wonder if he has some pain or something. An odd place for territorial. Urine test came out fine? No crystals? Any leg or paw issues you can see when he is walking?
I would like to get his urine tested again, it's just not that easy to get a clean sample. Maybe I'll get an extra litter box with no absorbend plastic litter to catch his pee

That is good. It is important to break it down since it is a bit tricky to remove. Enzymatic cleaners are really helpful.

How is he acting otherwise? Pretty normal?

Part of me wonders if he misses Monty chasing him, rough playing, etc. :/ Do they seem less "close" lately?
He peed there again yesterday around lunch time, so that didn't really affect the outcome.

No, he's totally normal like always. Purring away when we approach him. Wanting to play with the faucet in the kitchen. Playing with Monty or by himself.

Oh, they are closer than ever I would say. I catch them grooming each other more often now. Cosmo will also initiate chasing and playing. They don't seek out each others company for sleeping that often but they'll slow blink at each other.

Any chance there is an intact male he is smelling? I know you are above the street but any neighbors have or bring in cats? Or I guess intact dogs?

Springtime can bring a lot of changes in animals and of course pollen, etc.

Let's try to figure it out. Must be something.
Not to my knowledge at least. Especially in the bathroom he wouldn't be able to smell it stronger, I would think he would have to pee at the apartment door like he did before.

I'll try to get another urine sample tested, we'll send it away to a lab for special testing.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they eat together in the kitchen. We have a pillar in the middle of the kitchen, we feed them on either side of it so they are not to close to each other, but they know the other one is there and they can just look around it. Usually Monty is the one who's finished first with his food, he'll go to the windowsill and groom himself, Cosmo can still see him from across the room. Cosmo will check that every bit of food is eaten and then go meow after a few minutes. I don't think he's calling for Monty. Monty couldn't care less when Cosmo is meowing. No, Monty will just go to my boyfriend, hop on his lap and sleep.

No, not at all. We have those lickimats so they can't eat fast anyway. He also doesn't seem stressed while eating or anything like that.

He walks totally normal after eating, peeing and before he has to pee. His stool is fine, not mushy or liquidy. We don't catch the cats drinking often, but we know they use the fountain and we give them 3/4 wet food a day in order to get enough water into them. I'm too scared of them developing serious urinary tract issues 😂
He's also peeing large amounts, nothing different about that. They have their times where they use the litter box, but I didn't really notice something off.

After eating it and checking if anything is left over 😂

Cosmo's has been stable at around 4,5kg since we got him. He's in good shape not too thin or too thick. Cosmo will eat all of his food and he would eat everything else on top of that if we let him.

I would like to get his urine tested again, it's just not that easy to get a clean sample. Maybe I'll get an extra litter box with no absorbend plastic litter to catch his pee

He peed there again yesterday around lunch time, so that didn't really affect the outcome.

No, he's totally normal like always. Purring away when we approach him. Wanting to play with the faucet in the kitchen. Playing with Monty or by himself.

Oh, they are closer than ever I would say. I catch them grooming each other more often now. Cosmo will also initiate chasing and playing. They don't seek out each others company for sleeping that often but they'll slow blink at each other.

Not to my knowledge at least. Especially in the bathroom he wouldn't be able to smell it stronger, I would think he would have to pee at the apartment door like he did before.

I'll try to get another urine sample tested, we'll send it away to a lab for special testing.
Yeah, they eat together in the kitchen. We have a pillar in the middle of the kitchen, we feed them on either side of it so they are not to close to each other, but they know the other one is there and they can just look around it. Usually Monty is the one who's finished first with his food, he'll go to the windowsill and groom himself, Cosmo can still see him from across the room. Cosmo will check that every bit of food is eaten and then go meow after a few minutes." - Could he be that he is saying "I want more food"? Otherwise, that sounds like a fantastic encounter.

Monty never really chased Cosmo after eating before, right?

"I don't think he's calling for Monty. Monty couldn't care less when Cosmo is meowing. " - Maybe Cosmo misses that? In the past did Monty ever come?

"No, Monty will just go to my boyfriend, hop on his lap and sleep." - Awwwww, such a good boy!!

"No, not at all. We have those lickimats so they can't eat fast anyway. He also doesn't seem stressed while eating or anything like that." - Great!!

"He walks totally normal after eating, peeing and before he has to pee. His stool is fine, not mushy or liquidy." - Great. Nothing obvious there.

"We don't catch the cats drinking often, but we know they use the fountain and we give them 3/4 wet food a day in order to get enough water into them. I'm too scared of them developing serious urinary tract issues 😂" - Exactly. Common not to see them drink often. And the fact they go normal amounts says they hydrate enough.

"He's also peeing large amounts, nothing different about that. They have their times where they use the litter box, but I didn't really notice something off. " - Great. Sounds normal.

"After eating it and checking if anything is left over 😂 " - Hahahaha, yep. I wonder if he is saying "I want more food, I am still hungry!!"? Hahahahaha

"Cosmo's has been stable at around 4,5kg since we got him. He's in good shape not too thin or too thick." - Great

" Cosmo will eat all of his food and he would eat everything else on top of that if we let him." - Ok, that is why I am thinking maybe he is saying "I want more food, I am still hungry". So he meows and then realizes it isn't going to happen and settles.

"I would like to get his urine tested again, it's just not that easy to get a clean sample. Maybe I'll get an extra litter box with no absorbend plastic litter to catch his pee" - Never hurts to. But I suspect it is something behavioral rather than medical. But it is always good to get the pee checked.

"He peed there again yesterday around lunch time, so that didn't really affect the outcome." - Around lunch time. Before or after? I just wonder if he was still hungry or hungry wanting his food. :/

"No, he's totally normal like always. Purring away when we approach him. Wanting to play with the faucet in the kitchen. Playing with Monty or by himself." - Great. BUT the fact there aren't obvious signs makes our job harder trying t figure it out.

"Oh, they are closer than ever I would say. I catch them grooming each other more often now." - Awwwwwwwwww. They always loved each other. I never saw and don't see Monty as the cause. Though I still wonder if Cosmo wants Monty to play etc but I suspect it is a hunger/food thing.

" Cosmo will also initiate chasing and playing." - Awesome. Trust, confidence, love.

" They don't seek out each others company for sleeping that often but they'll slow blink at each other. " - Yes, they love each other. Their relationship it not the issues, I am convinced of that.

"Not to my knowledge at least. Especially in the bathroom he wouldn't be able to smell it stronger, I would think he would have to pee at the apartment door like he did before." - Yes. Sometimes animals get in the walls but seems unlikely. And a bathtub is kinda like a big litter box. :/

"I'll try to get another urine sample tested, we'll send it away to a lab for special testing. " - That is good. I suspect it wont show anything.

I am really focused on the hunger/food thing. Keep an eye on when it happens and if it might be related to him being hungry, wanting more food, etc. BUT how we solve it, I am not sure because we don't want him getting overweight either. :/

You are going to be an expert after figuring this out. :) This is not an easy, obvious thing like most of them are. But we will figure it out.

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
Could he be that he is saying "I want more food"? Otherwise, that sounds like a fantastic encounter.
Cosmo always wants food 😂 he wouldn't be able to stop. Our freefeeding experiment was a nightmare, because he eats everything.

Monty never really chased Cosmo after eating before, right?

"I don't think he's calling for Monty. Monty couldn't care less when Cosmo is meowing. " - Maybe Cosmo misses that? In the past did Monty ever come?
No, never. He usually goes straight to sleep after eating :lol:

I don't recall Monty ever really reacting to Cosmos meowing in that way.

Around lunch time. Before or after? I just wonder if he was still hungry or hungry wanting his food. :/
Before feeding time. He could have been hungry, but its odd for him to pee because of that.

I wasn't able to use the litter box with the special plastic litter, because Cosmo would just lay in it and play with the beads. Cats are silly :lol:
But he peed in the bathtub that evening ( I think it was Tuesday) so I tested the urine with a stick test (we always have to take the results with a grain of salt because its urine from the bathtub) and the leukocytes were higher than normal.
I collected the rest of the urine in a syringe and send it away for testing on Wednesday. I think the results should come in today.
In the mean time we put cosmo on an antibiotic and he gets a special syrup that should strengthen the bladder.
I still have to figure out when to give him the antibiotics because his stomach is a little sensitive and the past two days he's been throwing up 1 - 2 hours after getting the pill. Today I put them in his normal food and hope for the best haha.

But! The last two days no peeing in the bathtub!
I think that maybe he's having small issues with his bladder and any other stress on top of that causes him to pee elsewhere.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cosmo always wants food 😂 he wouldn't be able to stop. Our freefeeding experiment was a nightmare, because he eats everything.

No, never. He usually goes straight to sleep after eating :lol:

I don't recall Monty ever really reacting to Cosmos meowing in that way.

Before feeding time. He could have been hungry, but its odd for him to pee because of that.

I wasn't able to use the litter box with the special plastic litter, because Cosmo would just lay in it and play with the beads. Cats are silly :lol:
But he peed in the bathtub that evening ( I think it was Tuesday) so I tested the urine with a stick test (we always have to take the results with a grain of salt because its urine from the bathtub) and the leukocytes were higher than normal.
I collected the rest of the urine in a syringe and send it away for testing on Wednesday. I think the results should come in today.
In the mean time we put cosmo on an antibiotic and he gets a special syrup that should strengthen the bladder.
I still have to figure out when to give him the antibiotics because his stomach is a little sensitive and the past two days he's been throwing up 1 - 2 hours after getting the pill. Today I put them in his normal food and hope for the best haha.

But! The last two days no peeing in the bathtub!
I think that maybe he's having small issues with his bladder and any other stress on top of that causes him to pee elsewhere.
"Cosmo always wants food 😂 he wouldn't be able to stop. Our freefeeding experiment was a nightmare, because he eats everything." - Yes. :/ In his previous life he probably had food security issues. :(

"No, never. He usually goes straight to sleep after eating :lol: " - That is usually what they do. Hunt, Capture, Kill, Eat, Groom, Sleep.

"I don't recall Monty ever really reacting to Cosmos meowing in that way. " - Ok, good to know. They may be on different wavelengths or he isn't calling him.

"Before feeding time. He could have been hungry, but its odd for him to pee because of that." - Well, if he has food insecurity issues because of his previous life it is possible.

"I wasn't able to use the litter box with the special plastic litter, because Cosmo would just lay in it and play with the beads. Cats are silly :lol: " - Hahahaha, yes. Totally silly. They seem to always do things like that!!! Hahahahaha

"But he peed in the bathtub that evening ( I think it was Tuesday) so I tested the urine with a stick test (we always have to take the results with a grain of salt because its urine from the bathtub) and the leukocytes were higher than normal." - Hmmmmmmm, they were higher than normal. Ok, maybe there is something medical.

"I collected the rest of the urine in a syringe and send it away for testing on Wednesday. I think the results should come in today." - Great. Let's see the results.

"In the mean time we put cosmo on an antibiotic and he gets a special syrup that should strengthen the bladder." - Great. I am so glad you have medical knowledge, that helps a lot.

"I still have to figure out when to give him the antibiotics because his stomach is a little sensitive and the past two days he's been throwing up 1 - 2 hours after getting the pill. Today I put them in his normal food and hope for the best haha." - Poor guy. It could be that after he eats his sensitive stomach might cause a little discomfort and therefore the meowing. Then it settles and he is fine.

"But! The last two days no peeing in the bathtub!" - Great!!

"I think that maybe he's having small issues with his bladder and any other stress on top of that causes him to pee elsewhere." - Very well could be. It could be an issue then go away then come back. not severe enough to be a chronic issue but pops up from time to time.

In your profession this is really good experience. This is a really tricky one but shows how tricky cat health and behavior is. I think Cosmo luckily found the right home!! Amazing how destiny works like that. He is one lucky cat to have found you.

Let us know how the test goes. Maybe, hopefully, you are on to something. Fingers crossed.