Cat Introduction .... Failure?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RocketPuppy97

Can Opener for Monty & Cosmo
Adult Cat
Purraise
He peed two times today already. I'm pretty sure It's because my bf didn't clean the litter boxes this morning. And I'm a bit mad.
Cosmo uses the litter box in the bedroom far more frequent than the other one. I think it's because it's routine for him as he lived here exclusively for a long time. I came home after school to cosmo going into the litter box and coming straight out again wanting to pee on the mat. I was able to shoo him off and discovered that he already peed there today. As I was cleaning up he peed in the empty litter box that was standing on the other side of the room as I didn't had enough time to bring it into the basement.

Now I cleaned the litter box and he just used it again. Like normal.

I'm quite mad that the boxes didn't get cleaned today and I had to sweep the aftermath up because of that.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That very well could be the reason. Some cats are really, really particular. Let's hope it is as simple as that.

The fact he used the litter box after it was cleaned suggests it may be the cause.

I know it is frustrating but at least now we might have found the reason. At least it is pretty easy to correct.

Is there room to have 2 litter boxes side by side? I know some cats prefer a certain box but sometimes they will use one next to the other one and since Cosmo goes on the mat next to it it might be a solution.

Let us know how he does. Hopefully, we have figured out the cause.

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
So I'm at a loss now. He was fine all day. He used the litterbox in the livingroom just fine. He used the one in the bedroom too. Nothing seemed to bother him. The boxes were cleaned this morning.
I came home from work at around 6:30 pm. today, I greeted the cats, my bf and was just home for like 30 minutes, as I heared a cat scrach on the floor and I immidiatly knew what just happened. Cosmo peed next to the litterbox. Again. for the 4th time in two weeks.
He was fine for a few weeks now being together with Monty. He used the "new" litter, which we had for a few weeks fine too and he uses the new and bigger litterbox fine too.
I just don't know anymore. We moved the huge litterbox to the bedroom in a desperate attempt to fix the problem.
Litterbox with hood? I'm peeing. Litterbox without hood? I'm peeing. Woodlitter? Peeing. Claylitter? Peeing? Bigger litterbox? Peeing.
I'm really frustrated, because he uses both boxes just fine 90% of the time.
We didn't fight. I was home as usual. I didn't change my routine. He wasn't alone, my boyfriend was at home all day.

The boxes were cleaned this morning, so they weren't that dirty. He normally hasn't a problem with that either. I don't know what changed to cause this ****ery again.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which litter box was it that he peed next to? The one in the bedroom? Was that box moved at all?

Was he over excited when you came home? Did he seem more "excited"?

What time do you normally feed them at night? Did he eat "fast" after the peeing incident?

Did Cosmo seek attention when either you or your boyfriend came home and didn't get it? Not blaming anyone, just trying to figure this out. Of course it is hard when we come home to immediately give attention to the cat. I wonder if he gets stressed if he doesn't get "love" or play when the humans come home. Or if he gets stressed that he is hungry and doesn't get fed right away when he sees humans.

How were your emotions when you came home? Stressed? Or more excited than usual? Any difference? How about your bf's? Some cats are more sensitive than others to our emotions.

It doesn't seem consistent enough for a medical issue. But it could be there is some pain at times. Does he drink enough and pee enough? Or pee more than normal? Or less than normal? Any abnormal walking or body language when in the litter or walking around?

Where was Monty at the time? Did your bf notice any interaction (or non-interaction) between them before the incident?

Make sure you clean up with an enzymatic cleaner.

Something is going on (obviously) we just need to figure it out. It sure is not an obvious cause. Doesn't sound like a litter or litter box issue. But we will figure it out. I will not stop trying.

Last edited:

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
Which litter box was it that he peed next to? The one in the bedroom? Was that box moved at all?
The one in the bedroom, his usual spot. It's still next to the door beside my clothet. That's where the small litterbox without the hood was standing too. He still peed when that was there so.

Was he over excited when you came home? Did he seem more "excited"?
He was not more excited as any other day.

What time do you normally feed them at night? Did he eat "fast" after the peeing incident?
I feed them at 7:30 pm. they get their wetfood and a little bit of dry food so they're not hungry during the night. No, he didn't eat fast than usual.

Did Cosmo seek attention when either you or your boyfriend came home and didn't get it? Not blaming anyone, just trying to figure this out. Of course it is hard when we come home to immediately give attention to the cat. I wonder if he gets stressed if he doesn't get "love" or play when the humans come home. Or if he gets stressed that he is hungry and doesn't get fed right away when he sees humans.
He did seek our attention and he got it, I cuddled him and was holding him in my arms. I feed them a small portion of dry food before I head to work, in order to keep them from being starving till dinner.

How were your emotions when you came home? Stressed? Or more excited than usual? Any difference? How about your bf's? Some cats are more sensitive than others to our emotions.
I would say it was nothing out of the ordinary. My bf seemed very calm and I wasn't stressed either. We've had far more stressful situations where he didn't pee.

It doesn't seem consistent enough for a medical issue. But it could be there is some pain at times. Does he drink enough and pee enough? Or pee more than normal? Or less than normal? Any abnormal walking or body language when in the litter or walking around?
We have a water fountain for the cats, I don't see them drinking there that often, but I know that both cats use that thing. I feed them mostly wetfood in order to give them enough waterintake. I think he pees good large amounts. Not overly large. I think he pees more often than more than Monty, but it's not in an unhealthy kinda way.
He walks just fine. I noticed he rarely burys his pee. he goes in, pees, goes out and starts running around. He doesn't dash out of the litterbox. He seems to be his normalself after going there.

Where was Monty at the time? Did your bf notice any interaction (or non-interaction) between them before the incident?
Monty wasn't in the room when it happened, and they didn't seem overly excited or something like that, they seemed calm. Cosmo was meowing around, but that's tipical for him, with or without pee.

I use a special enzymatic cleaner everytime something like this happens.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"He did seek our attention and he got it, I cuddled him and was holding him in my arms." Did this happen before he just peed or is this just generally what happens?

"I think he pees good large amounts. Not overly large. I think he pees more often than more than Monty, but it's not in an unhealthy kinda way." - Do you notice if he does more around the time he goes outside of the litter box?

"I noticed he rarely burys his pee. he goes in, pees, goes out and starts running around. He doesn't dash out of the litterbox. He seems to be his normal self after going there." - Does he sniff it at all or just gets out at a normal pace? Does he run around every time or most every time?

Yeah, I don't think it is Monty unless Cosmo wanted to play with Monty and Monty didn't want to and that stressed Cosmo. Not that Monty was mean but just wasn't interested.

Great on the cleaning.

I am running out of ideas. Nothing is obvious. Doesn't sound like it is medical/health and I can't find behavioral. But it is something.

The timing is not great with the holidays but maybe start a new thread Cat Peeing Outside of Litter Box and let's see if someone has some ideas. If you put it up let me know so I can follow it. But I want to see what others think. I need to think more about this but I am stumped. But I am sure someone has an idea, we just need to find that someone. I'll keep thinking as well.

Think about anything that might be in common with the other incidents (time, place, people, etc). There is something causing him stress, but what?

We will figure this out.

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
I apologize if this has been asked before, but is there anything going on outside your house/apartment?
No, nothing. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Did this happen before he just peed or is this just generally what happens?
No, not before he peed. Its just something we always do and he loves it and purrs like crazy.

Does he sniff it at all or just gets out at a normal pace? Does he run around every time or most every time?
He does sniff it occasionally, but most of the time he'll just go out of the litter box and leave it like that. Normal pace and when he's a few meters away from the litter box he'll run, but not every time.

So he didn't pee all weekend. We showed them in affection and played a lot and everything was great.

Monday morning 7 am. I got up an fed the cat at 6:30 as usual. Then I hopped into the shower, as always, closing the door behind me. At had situations where he wanted to get in the bathroom with me really bad and he would scratch at the door, but it doesn't line up with the peeing incidents at all. Today he didn't scratch, he didn't meow for attention. He just went and peed.
And I really don't know why.

I have a theory and maybe it's stupid but my whole hope depends on this.
I don't really know the time line when the peeing stopped. But.
I moved the litter box in the bedroom from the one spot next to my closet to the other one.
Its a small detail. It's something very simple.
I did this because it would be more practical for opening the door when it faces the other way around.
I'll try and put the litter box on the excaxt spot where he pees again. And if that doesn't help I'll put a second box next to it

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
calicosrspecial said:
Did this happen before he just peed or is this just generally what happens?
"No, not before he peed. Its just something we always do and he loves it and purrs like crazy." - I ask this because of the peeing incident before where I think Cosmo peed because he couldn't be with Monty. I am wondering if he doesn't get attention from the person he loves immediately after the person comes home sometimes he gets stressed and pees. I know it doesn't happen all the time but maybe he is more sensitive at times? Another example is the recent shower incident. It doesn't happen all the time but it seems like maybe sometimes he gets almost like a separation anxiety and gets stressed. Sometimes when cats get territory closed off it happens.. Of course, closing the bathroom door makes sense but I wonder if Cosmo is really sensitive to that. And the other peeing incident in the bath tub. I wondering if making over him (so giving love, getting him to purr when you come home immediately and doing it before going into the shower might help). I am starting to see some common things (being closed off from Monty that time, being closed off from the human in the bathroom, and maybe being so excited when someone comes home and if he doesn't get attention he gets stressed). I think he may be really sensitive and he may lack some confidence even though it sure doesn't seem like it.Maybe just giving more attention at those times (and I know it is hard as life gets busy) might help.

calicosrspecial said:
Does he sniff it at all or just gets out at a normal pace? Does he run around every time or most every time?
"He does sniff it occasionally, but most of the time he'll just go out of the litter box and leave it like that. Normal pace and when he's a few meters away from the litter box he'll run, but not every time." - Usually leaving it uncover might suggest a territorial thing. But he seems territorially secure. :/ But something that might suggest an issue. I am really trying to think of anything that could be a sign.

"I have a theory and maybe it's stupid but my whole hope depends on this. I don't really know the time line when the peeing stopped. But. I moved the litter box in the bedroom from the one spot next to my closet to the other one. Its a small detail. It's something very simple. I did this because it would be more practical for opening the door when it faces the other way around. I'll try and put the litter box on the excaxt spot where he pees again. And if that doesn't help I'll put a second box next to it " - Anytime we move a litter box or change something it can trigger stress and therefore going outside of the litter box. Your theory exactly right generally. I think your solution (putting the box in the same spot and possibly adding another one) is a great idea.

When he pees outside of the litter box is it pretty much in the same spot?

I do think there may be something there with my first theory. I am starting to see some commonality. Almost like a separation anxiety. I think he just loves you all so much that he might need that extra attention and if he doesn't get it or if he doesn't have access to the person he gets stressed and pees. If at all possible when you both get home just give him a little extra attention and before you go into the shower etc. And try to watch his body language and see if you can see any changes at times. Where he might just seem "different".

And keep playing with him especially near places he pees outside of the litter box. Just to build confidence and territorial security.

And also, do the litter box as you mention.

We will figure this out. It is something, just try to observe him and see if you can find any common things. I think it is caused by stress. I know he shouldn't be stressed but I think he is just sensitive and loves you, your bf and Monty so much that he just needs you all.

Let me know what you think and how things go. Just keep observing him for any body language changes or other changes around the house and look for any commonalities between incidents.

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
When he pees outside of the litter box is it pretty much in the same spot?
It's almost always right next to my closet. That's the same spot where he always peed when he wasn't with Monty.

Anytime we move a litter box or change something it can trigger stress and therefore going outside of the litter box. Your theory exactly right generally. I think your solution (putting the box in the same spot and possibly adding another one) is a great idea.
I moved the litterbox back to the original spot (like two feet to the left haha) that was I think on the 23 december, we had no peeing incident so far. We were away for hours two days in a row and they were fine. We play with them with a laserpointer a few times a day, for a couple of minutes and they just love chasing after the red dot. They also get a round of treats in their feeder tree where they have to work to get them out.
They seem happy right now.
I hope it stays like that

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"It's almost always right next to my closet. That's the same spot where he always peed when he wasn't with Monty." - Could there be something behind the closet? Is there an outside wall? Or are there animals above? I wonder if any of your clothes have scents on them from the vet clinic? That Cosmo smells other animals and gets insecure. It could also be that that is the place he feels most secure. So if he is stressed or scared he goes there to feel more confident, more secure. And since it is by your scents it could help him feel more comfortable. Which in that case it would mean there is something else causing the insecurity.

It is always best to put a litter box in the exact spot where they are going outside of the litter box. So that is great you moved it to there.

Wow, being away for hours 2 straight days is a good test to see where they are at. Sounds like they did really well which is great news. If there were issues you would have had trouble (like peeing).

Great job on playing with them and giving them treats and giving them some mental exercise with eating the treats.

Around the holidays there is usually a lot going on and more stress than normal so the fact the did really well is a great sign. You sure have done a good job building their confidence and trust.

Hopefully it is as simple as moving the litter box. We'll see.

Just try to keep observing his behavior and what happens around the time he goes out of the litter box. He seems really confident and had a great relationship with Monty so I am wondering if it is some outside influence that might be causing him stress so keep an ear out for anything outside of your home, And let us know if there are any animals either above, below, or next to your home. And just try to be calm and confident around him and try to give him some attention when you come home or just hanging out etc.

You obviously dong a lot right so keep up the great work. Let us know how things go. You will solve this (if you haven't already). We'll get through this. Please ask anything anytime. Keep up the great work!!

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
Could there be something behind the closet? Is there an outside wall? Or are there animals above? I wonder if any of your clothes have scents on them from the vet clinic? That Cosmo smells other animals and gets insecure. It could also be that that is the place he feels most secure. So if he is stressed or scared he goes there to feel more confident, more secure. And since it is by your scents it could help him feel more comfortable. Which in that case it would mean there is something else causing the insecurity.
We live on the top floor of the building, so there is nothing above us. Our neigbours who live on the floor under us have a dog, but that didn't seem to bother him really. He also didn't react when I was at my parents house, where two dogs live. As for sents of the vet clinic: I have work clothes so my regular clothes don't get in contact with other animals there. He also was at my clinic before and didn't show any real distress or increased peeing after that.
I think it could maybe be a thing of habit? He also uses the litterbox in the bedroom far more often than the other one. Maybe it's because he lived there for a longer time and if something is wrong he'll go in that excact spot again as he did before.

Around the holidays there is usually a lot going on and more stress than normal so the fact the did really well is a great sign. You sure have done a good job building their confidence and trust.

Hopefully it is as simple as moving the litter box. We'll see.
We still didn't have any peeing, but we'll see how it goes when I have to work again next monday.

Just try to keep observing his behavior and what happens around the time he goes out of the litter box. He seems really confident and had a great relationship with Monty so I am wondering if it is some outside influence that might be causing him stress so keep an ear out for anything outside of your home
I think it could really have something to do with seperation anxiety, so when it's true we would see the behaviour again when I go to work. I'll try to interact with him right after I get home, as for peeing before I get home, that wouldn't be as easy to fix.

BUT maybe the new litterbox spot fixes it :crossfingers:

I hope everyone had a great christmas and a good new years eve!
I catch my two boys secretly cuddeling up next to each other from time to time, so I wanted to share some pics of that

IMG_20191231_125021.jpg

IMG_20191231_125047.jpg

IMG_20191231_125815.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"We live on the top floor of the building, so there is nothing above us." - I wonder if there are birds or other animals that run around up there and cause him stress. A long shot but could be a source. Not much can be done though. :/

Everything else you mention is really good. Not causing any of the issues.

"I think it could maybe be a thing of habit? He also uses the litterbox in the bedroom far more often than the other one. Maybe it's because he lived there for a longer time and if something is wrong he'll go in that excact spot again as he did before." - Well, cats like routines so going in the same box in the same room even when others are available is very common. It is territory and owned so they feel comfortable. A confidence thing. Now if a box is moved it can cause some issues as the exact spot could be the place they want to go (certain walls, privacy, lighting, etc) that bring normalcy and familiarity to using the litter box. So it is kinda habit but not sure much habit of going outside of the box if that makes sense.

"We still didn't have any peeing, but we'll see how it goes when I have to work again next monday." - GREAT.

"I think it could really have something to do with seperation anxiety, so when it's true we would see the behaviour again when I go to work. I'll try to interact with him right after I get home, as for peeing before I get home, that wouldn't be as easy to fix." - I think you are on to something. Remember when Monty was put in the room separated from Cosmo and he peed? I think he might fear abandonment (wrongly) that might be causing it. So as you mention making over him when you get home could help. And having Monty will help as well since they obviously love each other.

I do think having the litter box in the exact same spot as he is going outside of the litter box may help. Fingers crossed.

I hope you had a great Christmas and new year's as well. Seeing these pictures is an amazing Christmas present for me so I can imagine how wonderful it is for you. So thank you so much for sharing the pictures and more importantly for all the work and love you have given to intro them and to make their lives so great!!

These pictures are so heartwarming. I know I get emotional at times but these are SO ADORABLE!!! It is LOVE!!! :itslove: 😻 MY goodness are they cute!!

You are your boyfriend have done such an AMAZING job!!! Thank you SO MUCH for saving cat lives!!! :thanks::rock:

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
So it's been a long time :D
Other than the peeing incident before christmas (?) I think and another one in the first week of january we didn't had any other peeing oopsies. So fingers crossed that we won't have that much after that.

The two get along really well, other than right before and right after getting fed :D Monty is still a little bully and will chase Cosmo around the flat and pushes him so far he'll run from him hissing really loud and seeking shelter on top of my boyfriends computer haha. Boys will be Boy I guess ^^

They keep me fairly busy and are always up to no good ^^ And Monty became really really vocal too since living with Cosmo

And they sleep with us in the bed now and other than that there is not much to be reported so I'll just post a few pictures

IMG_20200125_141603_405.jpg

IMG_20200122_215707.jpg

IMG_20200108_135902.jpg

daones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They seem to be getting along well now thats good. I wish i could teach my oldest cat sticker to be like this with the other cats, she thinks she is the boss of the house and i have a feeling she just doesnt like other cats.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been having issues getting alerts about updates on the threads I follow so I went to your thread late last week just to see if oyu had an update. You must have read my mind. I actually miss Cosmo and Monty!!

GREAT that there have not been any more "oopsies" except for the early January one. Do you know what might have caused that one?

Hahaha, yes, boys will be boys. That is just what they love to do it seems. The really important "tell" about how they get along is how they act after that chase/hissing encounter. If they rebound quickly then it is play. If it takes a little time and there is some negative body language, hiding, avoiding, etc then it is something we need to focus on. If you sense it is a bit too much feel free to distract just so it doesn't turn into anything.

"They keep me fairly busy and are always up to no good " - Yep, boys will be boys!!

"And Monty became really really vocal too since living with Cosmo" - Of course, he wants attention too!! Hahahahaha

"And they sleep with us in the bed now" - Wow, fantastic. Sharing space.

I think the pictures tells us all about their relationship. Looks pretty AWESOME!!!

My goodness, I never get over HOW ADORABLE they are!!! Seriously, aren't they most ADORABLE cats!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I think they are loving life!!!

Thank you for the update and THANK YOU SO MUCH for all you have done to give them such a great life!!!

Please let me know about the peeing incident. I think you are probably right that there is some separation anxiety going on. So just keep paying attention to him when you get home and play with him in the area he is peeing and give treats after the play just so he can feel more secure there.

GREAT work!!.

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
GREAT that there have not been any more "oopsies" except for the early January one. Do you know what might have caused that one?
For that one time we really had no clue to what could have caused it. Everything was fine and as I went about my day I noticed the pee puddle next to the litter box and I don't know when he peed there. We were at home, except for when we were shopping for groceries, and the box was clean, Monty was behaving well.
I just accepted that I don't know the cause for this one.

My goodness, I never get over HOW ADORABLE they are!!! Seriously, aren't they most ADORABLE cats!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I think they are loving life!!!

Thank you for the update and THANK YOU SO MUCH for all you have done to give them such a great life!!!

Thank you for your kind words :redheartpump: Monty and Cosmo for sure know how cute they are and use it against us haha.

And without your great help it wouldn't have been possible so thank you very much <3

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"For that one time we really had no clue to what could have caused it. Everything was fine and as I went about my day I noticed the pee puddle next to the litter box and I don't know when he peed there. We were at home, except for when we were shopping for groceries, and the box was clean, Monty was behaving well. I just accepted that I don't know the cause for this one." - It really is a mystery. It is something, just what though. It isn't Monty. I wonder if it the separation anxiety that pops up at times (maybe when you went to the grocery store). But you give him so much love and attention. But some cats are so sensitive. Or it is something that happens outside or he smells something. I would step up by the litter box and feed some treats just to build his confidence there. It could be that something gets in the wall at times. It is something, just so hard to know.

They totally know how cute they are. They could have their own calendar or website they are so cute!!

Oh thank you but you did all the hard work. They got to where they are because of you and your bf and all the effort and love to put in. Thank YOU for all you have done for Monty and Cosmo.

Monty and Cosmo have given me so much happiness and joy. Those pics make me unbelievably happy. Honestly made my holiday!!

Always feel free to message anytime. I don't always get an alert for some reason so if I don't respond just send a message. Keep up the great work and enjoy your 2 boys!! I think you and your bf have a WONDERFUL family!!! They really are SO ADORABLE!!! 😍