Cat Introduction .... Failure?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to answer the first post first then the good news post.

Yes, understand. Just try to get one of them (probably Monty) to cuddle. At some point he may decide to. BUT make sure you can do it safely.

Yep, young cats FULL of energy. :/ Especially from late afternoon to early morning.

Yes, it is exhausting for the humans. But it sounds like they did well. Just make sure that throwing the pillow isn't interpreted in a negative way. Still try to use words like "hey" or "knock it off" in a firm voice first. The fact they are minding their own business for times is a great sign.

Hahaha, yes, I can see Monty doing that. But I am glad he got the point Cosmo didn't want to play. Another positive sign they are figuring each other out.

Hahahaha, they are cats. Cosmo is something. but it is a sign of how much they have progressed that they can do this and all is fine. They both are feeling confident and a little cocky ;).

AWESOME on Cosmo purring!! :clap2: :hyper: Such a great sign of where he is.

Hahaha, I can picture that jump. I love the trust between them. REALLY great job building that trust!!

Hissing is communication and if it is communicated that is great. Another sign of them understanding each other.

Look at them looking out of the window together!!! PERFECT!!! The Terror Twins! Hahahahaha. They are SO ADORABLE!!!!

Awwwwwwwww, they got to the point we wanted!!! AWESOME!!! I am so ecstatic I can't imagine how excited you are!! This is exactly what we are looking for.

Of course it wont last and there will be their rough play but we know they can do it then settle down. AWESOME!!! We'll just have to keep doing what we are doing, extending their time together and reinforcing this positivity.

AWESOME job!!! You did it!!! :) Let's keep building on this. I think you are really close to being able to open things up for them. GREAT JOB!!! I am SO PROUD of you, your bf, Monty and Cosmo!! :clap2::yess:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RocketPuppy97

Can Opener for Monty & Cosmo
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMG_20191203_190250.jpg

Sooo... Is this it? Did I win? xD

I'm speechless. They both lay here, completely relaxed. Sleeping having a good time and waiting for their food.

I'll be posting updates until they're together full-time, but I just wanted to thank everyone for the amazing help! Very special thanks to you C calicosrspecial :redheartpump: I don't know what I would have done without your frequent messages!
I wouldn't have thought that we would have two cats that act like annoying siblings towards each other after 6 month!
I'm a really proud cat mom now! :dizzycat:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:flail: I think you did it!!!! :yess:

Now they are still going to have their wild moments, their rough play. But that is what they love and that is them. There will be moments of doubt but use what you have learned and what you are doing. And of course, post anytime here.

I am actually in tears I am so happy right now. Seeing this after some tough moments is awesome. I never doubted you would get there and actually this happened faster than I thought. Honestly, you all have done an amazing job!!

You have earned the "Proud Cat Mom" title and your bf can be a "Proud Cat Daddy"!! :clapcat:

You are so welcome. I am so happy to maybe have helped in a small way. You and your bf did the work. You deserve the credit. Seeing two cats at home is such a great feeling. I am over the moon with happiness right now!!

Thank you so much for all your efforts and never giving up. This is the most wonderful gift I could ever see!! :rock::thanks:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 310469

Sooo... Is this it? Did I win? xD

I'm speechless. They both lay here, completely relaxed. Sleeping having a good time and waiting for their food.

I'll be posting updates until they're together full-time, but I just wanted to thank everyone for the amazing help! Very special thanks to you C calicosrspecial :redheartpump: I don't know what I would have done without your frequent messages!
I wouldn't have thought that we would have two cats that act like annoying siblings towards each other after 6 month!
I'm a really proud cat mom now! :dizzycat:
Wow!! I've been reading your thread with great interest and have learned A LOT from this! So all your stress did have some education reward for me...
You guys have done an amazing job. I'm so happy for you. And Monty and Cosmo.
The knowledge of the people on this forum and willingness to help is priceless.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am still in the middle of a difficult introduction process, and reading this thread reminds me to be patient and not get too stressed. We are going through a rough patch after a couple of pretty good days, so seeing this last post gives me some hope!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Twylasmom and KarenF,

If you ever need direct help please feel free to post a new thread and let me know that it is up and I can help you directly. I am happy to help.

There are always ups and downs but the key it to try to make every encounter as positive as possible (even if it is for a short time), make positive associations, and build confidence (through Play, Food, Height and Love - as a confident cat is more likely to accept and be accepted). Or goal is really to let the cat know that the other cat doesn't mean any harm or doesn't mean less access to food, water or litter box.

Twlyasmom,

The fact they had some good days tells me that they will get together. Just maximize the positives, try to reduce the negative encounters. Even if they have a minuteof positive it is a positive. Or if they look away (use distraction as needed). If a cat looks away from another cat then it is a sign that they don't have an existential fear.

KarenF,

Yes, that happens. 6 months is not unusual. When working with them in their respective territories work on distracting them from focusing on the other. Food is great, play is great, love (if safely) is great. Getting the cat to not focus on the other is key. When they are together just build on small amounts of time together in a positive way (even if it is a minute of calm). Try to maximize the positive encounters and minimize the negative encounters. Keep working on building confidence. Use whatever you can to get them focused on that rather than the other cat.

Happy to help either if or when you may want help. Thanks for working so hard to help intro your cats (and to save another life).

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Twylasmom and KarenF,

If you ever need direct help please feel free to post a new thread and let me know that it is up and I can help you directly. I am happy to help.

There are always ups and downs but the key it to try to make every encounter as positive as possible (even if it is for a short time), make positive associations, and build confidence (through Play, Food, Height and Love - as a confident cat is more likely to accept and be accepted). Or goal is really to let the cat know that the other cat doesn't mean any harm or doesn't mean less access to food, water or litter box.

Twlyasmom,

The fact they had some good days tells me that they will get together. Just maximize the positives, try to reduce the negative encounters. Even if they have a minuteof positive it is a positive. Or if they look away (use distraction as needed). If a cat looks away from another cat then it is a sign that they don't have an existential fear.

KarenF,

Yes, that happens. 6 months is not unusual. When working with them in their respective territories work on distracting them from focusing on the other. Food is great, play is great, love (if safely) is great. Getting the cat to not focus on the other is key. When they are together just build on small amounts of time together in a positive way (even if it is a minute of calm). Try to maximize the positive encounters and minimize the negative encounters. Keep working on building confidence. Use whatever you can to get them focused on that rather than the other cat.

Happy to help either if or when you may want help. Thanks for working so hard to help intro your cats (and to save another life).
I do have a thread if you want to check it out. It is called Introducing Cats, Logistics Questions.

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it's really amazing that this thread did not only help me but has the potential to guide others through their introduction aswell! That's pretty awesome! :wavey: I wish everyone who's currently stuggling in their introduction process a huge amount of patience and good luck, it will be worth it in the end.

Cosmo and Monty are together whenever I'm home, the first thing I do when I come through the door is open the bedroomdoor. We weren't able to have them together for the night yet, because that's when they like to have their chases haha and we wouldn't be able to sleep.
Yesterday I saw Monty grooming Cosmo's head :eek3: I didn'tt think that would be something he would ever do!
Other than theri very rough play from time to time, they seem to be on the best way to becoming best buddys.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's really amazing that this thread did not only help me but has the potential to guide others through their introduction aswell! That's pretty awesome! :wavey: I wish everyone who's currently stuggling in their introduction process a huge amount of patience and good luck, it will be worth it in the end.

Cosmo and Monty are together whenever I'm home, the first thing I do when I come through the door is open the bedroomdoor. We weren't able to have them together for the night yet, because that's when they like to have their chases haha and we wouldn't be able to sleep.
Yesterday I saw Monty grooming Cosmo's head :eek3: I didn'tt think that would be something he would ever do!
Other than theri very rough play from time to time, they seem to be on the best way to becoming best buddys.
Totally agree!! It is much bigger than just us.

I think your success all came down to knowledge and effort. You created your own good luck.

PERFECT. That is fine that they are not yet together at night. Cats like to be active at night so it does not surprise me that they like to have some fun while you are trying to get some sleep. Especially right when you get into bed and for about an hour after that and early in the morning (3or4am to human wake up time). They sleep during the day typically. It happens in my house all the time. As they get older they will want to get more sleep and calm down a bit but mine are almost 10 and they still do it quite often. They just LOVE to play.

WOW!!! Monty!!!!! I LOVE to hear that. Monty accepted Cosmo!!! WELL DONE!!!

Their rough play is a sign they are buddies already. They trust each other. Just keep monitoring them to watch that they still act normal after the rough play. There may be a few moments that might be concerning but just do the positive association, positive encounters, etc to let them know all is fine. Cats are like humans, we can love someone but also get pretty upset with the ones we love. My oldest (brother and sister) cats can get into it (growling, chase, etc) but they rebound quickly. My two oldest male ferals are really something when it comes to brotherly "fighting". They actually get really annoyed with each other then they eat together and rub on each other then sleep together. Been going on for 5 years with them!! That is just their relationship. Loving brothers (though they came from different litters). Sometimes cats (or people) have disagreements. But that underlying love will win out. Getting them to get over it is the key using positive things, etc. The key is to not let a misundertanding or mis-interpretation get ingrained in their feelings.

We are always here if you need us. There are always ups and downs but when there is a fundamental bond there that will win out. Monty and Cosmo are bonded. :D

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise

This is Wayyyyy good news! And yes I learn from these processes. So glad they are good with each other. I've loved watching the videos of them playing (rough and gentle.)
I have a new kitty (Gracie) who is 12 years old that I am introducing, and she's so far been the little grandma kitty who sleeps most of the time but last night (I have mine sleeping separately also) on the night Mooshoo and Waffles were sleeping with me I heard Gracie with the really rambunctious zoomies! I guess she's not such a sleepy grandma. She's most active at night also. I can relate to the no sleep with active night kitties.

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
So we've had them together the whole time, for a few days now and they behave well, most of the time. They'll get a bit rough and Cosmo will start hissing but they work it our themselfes.

One odd thing that happened today:
After I got home from school today, I noticed that a cat had peed in the bathtub? I don't who did it but I have a suspision taht it was Cosmo. My bf reported that apart from their usual rough paly there was nothing that seemed like it would trigger Cosmo to pee in the bathtub. My bf was at home so they weren't even lonely

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, c'mon Cosmo, hang in there!! Would he maybe need more one on one loving, or maybe time in his own room all by himself? ...I don't know, but this seems like a cat that's not completely content ( unless there has been enough stress to cause a health issue?)

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So we've had them together the whole time, for a few days now and they behave well, most of the time. They'll get a bit rough and Cosmo will start hissing but they work it our themselfes.

One odd thing that happened today:
After I got home from school today, I noticed that a cat had peed in the bathtub? I don't who did it but I have a suspision taht it was Cosmo. My bf reported that apart from their usual rough paly there was nothing that seemed like it would trigger Cosmo to pee in the bathtub. My bf was at home so they weren't even lonely
Hmmmmmmm

Anything out of the ordinary happen? Workers around? Visitors?

Was Cosmo wanting to play with Monty or your bf and they didn't want to or couldn't?

There is usually a reason. Were you gone longer than normal or at a different time? Was feeding time different at all?

Who was the last person to use the shower? Sometimes it can be an "ownership" thing. The location (the shower) is not an obvious place as it wouldn't be a place that would be Monty related.

Did they have any encounter in the bathroom or near it? Or was Monty holding him in the bathroom not letting him get out?

Was the litter box not as clean as usual?

Was anyone acting differently (after the peeing incident)?

Try to think of anything that may have triggered it. It must have been some sort of stress, but from what I am not sure. The location is does not seem like a cat related place.

How does Monty respond when Cosmo hisses? Any lingering change in behavior after the hiss? Keep an eye on any change in Cosmo's behavior. Keep distracting as needed and making those positive associations and encounters.

Let us know.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to check in how things are going. I am guessing things are going well. If not. we can solve them. Don't worry, they are going to be fine.

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry I didn't reply. Things are getting a little busy because of Christmas.

Anything out of the ordinary happen? Workers around? Visitors?

Was Cosmo wanting to play with Monty or your bf and they didn't want to or couldn't?
Not to my knowledge. My bf said it was like any other day.

There is usually a reason. Were you gone longer than normal or at a different time? Was feeding time different at all?
No, nothing. I was working my usual shift and they were getting their food on time plus they weren't alone, because my bf was with them the whole time.

Who was the last person to use the shower? Sometimes it can be an "ownership" thing. The location (the shower) is not an obvious place as it wouldn't be a place that would be Monty related.

Did they have any encounter in the bathroom or near it? Or was Monty holding him in the bathroom not letting him get out?
Interesting. My bf was the last to take a shower, maybe that caused it? He was peeing on his stuff more when it was laying around (or my stuff wasn't laying around and he just used the next thing he could find) so maybe it's his scent in the shower.

I doubt it, Cosmo would really just dash out of the bathroom when he had enough, Monty doesn't have so much power anymore haha

Was the litter box not as clean as usual?
That's what I thought too.

We had one peeing incident on Friday I think. We didn't notice it after getting up in the morning. Half asleep we thought the sound we heard was Cosmo peeing inside the plastic litterbox, but he peed on the mat beside it.
My bf said that both of them were near the litterbox in the morning, Monty was inside the litterbox and Cosmo was next to it. I would have said that Cosmo wanted to use this exact litterbox and as he couldn't use it because Monty was already in it he just peed next to it.
That's really stupid because we have another litterbox in the living room.

I've bought a new litterbox, because the very first I bought was simply not big enough, they were standing on the rim of the litterbox with their front paws all the time. So now I bought a catit jumbo litterbox.

You can fold the door up, which is normally intended for cleaning, but we leave it like that because it gives them a big entrance. Cosmo doesn't really like hooded litter boxes, but he uses the smaller catit litter box (which is still much bigger than any of our previous litter boxes) just fine, so the bigger the better. I hope he's happy with his new huge litterbox haha

As for their behaviour with each other:

They're a handful :lol: they love chasing each other! But it's very playful and Cosmo's hissing because he's fed up with it from time to time is becoming less frequent.
Yesterday I observed them both sitting on the windowsill as Cosmo began grooming Monty, who was trying to bite his neck and all, but Mama Cosmo wasn't having any of it. He just laid on top of Monty and continued to groom him with passion. It was hilarious :biggrin:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please, no need to apologize. I totally understand.

Ok, nothing out of the ordinary. Do you think he is observant or maybe not as much as we are?

Definitely nothing obvious as to the cause.

The shower is an interesting place. Not usually a place since it doesn't really hold a scent which is typically why a cat would go outside of the litter box. Stress can cause it but it doesn't sound like anything was stressful. It could be that Cosmo wanted to get his scent with your bf. Or the litter box wasn't available. It is interesting he chose something easy to clean.

Hahahaha, yes. I didn't think that would be a problem. Monty accepted him and Cosmo knows it.

Interesting. It could just be that the litter box was more "full" than usual. That does happen.

That is very possible. Like they almost wanted to pee together. I often see cats go in right after another one. It can be a bit of a territorial thing. But Cosmo went next to it. I guess Cosmo didn't want to wait. I know, I don't know why they insist on certain litter boxes but they do. Creatures of habit.

Those are very nice litter boxes. If Monty is using it then it helps with reducing the use of the other box. And if Cosmo likes the other one that is fine.

Sounds like they are doing great. Yes, they do love chasing. My oldest cats are going on 10 and they are still chasing each other. They LOVE it. Of course the younger ones always join in as well. Cats love to run around.

WOW!! I would say they are doing well!!! Grooming???? They love each other. That is VERY cool!! WELL DONE!!

Cosmo is a sensitive cat which makes it tricky. We have seen him pee because he didn't have access to Monty. We have seen him pee for other reasons (though we aren't sure the exact reason). I am guessing he is just more sensitive to changes. Just keep your eye on anything that might have happened before a peeing incident. The cause sure isn't obvious.