Cat Introduction .... Failure?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So today little Amy moved in with us!
Eve and Amy are great together! They play much and it's adorable!
Monty isn't pleased right now 😅 and doesn't seem to recognise Eve anymore. He hisses and grolws at both of them. He just needs a few days to get used to her :)View attachment 424505

Them meeting for the first time

Playtime :)
"So today little Amy moved in with us!" - SHE IS GORGEOUS!!!

"Eve and Amy are great together! They play much and it's adorable!" - Awwwwwwww. The play video is AWESOME!!!

Amy does not lack confidence!!!

"Monty isn't pleased right now 😅" - Awwwwwwww :/ Try to make it positive for him. Use food, love (safely), etc.

"and doesn't seem to recognise Eve anymore. " - :/

"He hisses and grolws at both of them." - Ok. Just try to reassure him, make positive associations. Let him know love and food and water and litter box and territory do not change. That everything stays positive.

" He just needs a few days to get used to her :) " - Yes, maybe a touch more. Make those positive associations, positive encounters, reassure, let him know all is positive.

How is Cosmo reacting?

They are SO ADROABLE!! Kittens :)

caytexo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply!
It's really tough at times, we just want them to tolerate eachother and when a fight breaks out it's a real bummer. I have too many people around who treat our situation as a failure and all those negative comments about it doesnt make it any easier, so your kind words mean alot.

We will try having them around eachother with treats and play.

How can I differ between play and real fight? I mean I know that Monty probably wasn't playing with him, as Csomo was the only one who was chased.
I was just a little worried, because Monty didn't show any sign of aggression towards him and suddenly tried to bite his neck.

Hello! Currently in middle of intro with 3 year old female resident cat and 6 month old male kitten. We are a bit further than you in the Jackson Galaxy introduction, but I noticed that the chasing is play when a) it's quick, maybe into another room or down the hallway and then stops; and b) when they take turns chasing each other. Also, if the tails are up or not down, that should mean it's playtime. Our kitten makes no vocalizations when they play, but our resident cat definitely hisses and growls when he pisses her off. He is rough and likes to grab/tackle her. But he STOPS when she vocalizes that. You can also tell that it's play and not a fight if they mess around and then stop for a break, then start back up.

One thing I had to get over was the fact that it's OKAY if they hiss/swat/growl because they are asserting their hierarchy. Our resident cat is the dominant one and I can tell that is what she is conveying to our kitten - "Leave me alone, I don't like that, I want to rest so stop messing with me." It took a couple weeks of intensity and love/hate energy, but our kitten is certainly learning his boundaries with her. Our resident cat will find a spot to sleep away from him and he won't bother her. But they are starting routines - playtime in the morning and in the evening. Relax/do their own thing near or away from each other during the day. It's just an adjustment period. I don't think you should shelter them away from each other TOO much because I'm sure you feel you're not making progress at times. Separate them if it gets bad, but praise and treats if they have any neutral and positive interactions. Like Jackson Galaxy has said, "at the end of this you should have two cats who don't care about each other." AKA they can live peacefully together and eventually grow to become best friends.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RocketPuppy97

Can Opener for Monty & Cosmo
Adult Cat
Purraise
My goodness where did the time go? 😅 Been a long while again.

Cosmo didn't seem to care much, one kitten or two didn't really make a difference for him. He's really great with both of them and grooms them often 🥺 we call him Mama Cosmo, because he's pretty insistent that those baby's are always dirty 😂

IMG20220721173726.jpg

IMG20220730160458.jpg

Monty got over it pretty quickly too. He also loves both of them very much. He'll also run around with them!

IMG20220806173007.jpg

They've grown so much already. Gotten their second round of vaccines and are little devils.

They bring us so much joy every day!
So have a few more cute pictures of them!

IMG20220808194049.jpg

IMG20220805203013.jpg

IMG20220802184713.jpg

IMG20220719182133.jpg

IMG20220714105711.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My goodness where did the time go? 😅 Been a long while again.

Cosmo didn't seem to care much, one kitten or two didn't really make a difference for him. He's really great with both of them and grooms them often 🥺 we call him Mama Cosmo, because he's pretty insistent that those baby's are always dirty 😂

View attachment 428696
View attachment 428697

Monty got over it pretty quickly too. He also loves both of them very much. He'll also run around with them!

View attachment 428698

They've grown so much already. Gotten their second round of vaccines and are little devils.

They bring us so much joy every day!
So have a few more cute pictures of them!

View attachment 428699
View attachment 428700
View attachment 428701
View attachment 428702
View attachment 428703
OH MY GOODNESS!!!! How ADORABLE are those pictures?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

"Cosmo didn't seem to care much, one kitten or two didn't really make a difference for him. He's really great with both of them and grooms them often 🥺 we call him Mama Cosmo, because he's pretty insistent that those baby's are always dirty 😂" - Awwwwwwwwww, that is SO SWEET!!! It literally makes my heart fill with LOVE!!!

"Monty got over it pretty quickly too. He also loves both of them very much. He'll also run around with them!" - Awwwww, I can totally see him doing that!!!

WOW!!! What a FANTSTIC update!!!! Heart warming is an understatement!!!

Thank you so much for the WONDERFUL update!!!! I was thinking of you all. Even better than I could have hoped!!

GREAT WORK!!!! WELL DONE!!! :)