Cat Introduction .... Failure?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RocketPuppy97

Can Opener for Monty & Cosmo
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bummer the changes didn't work. :(

Monty did really well with the free feeding.

Maybe the novelty of the food was the reason for Cosmo? Are you surprised he responded like that? (Eating a lot). It is good he came back and then didn't continue eating so fingers crossed it was just the novelty of it.

I hope he doesn't throw up. But sometimes they do learn from it.

Let us know how it goes. Thank you for the update.

Stay safe from Covid.
I was really surprised Monty didn't eat more. I always thought of him as our little fat cat (he's a normal weight, he just looks chonky compared to Cosmo).
Well, I shouldn't have been surprised with Cosmo's reaction. He's very food motivated, I clicker train him and he goes completly nuts.
He's also lovingly called "Trash cat" because if the lid of the bin isn't 100% closed he'll be the first one rummaging in it. Or if you have food ANYWHERE and trun your back for a second, he'll try to take a bite out of it. Monty knows the boundaries for human food xD Cosmo doesn't
So I shouldn't have been surprised at all xD
He also growls at Monty when he comes to close while he's eating, but I think thats alright

Now they're both fat, happy sleeping cats :lol:

Fingers crossed that this will solve the chaseing :crossfingers:

yeah, that, exactly, me too!
Yes! I hope so aswell!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was really surprised Monty didn't eat more. I always thought of him as our little fat cat (he's a normal weight, he just looks chonky compared to Cosmo).
Well, I shouldn't have been surprised with Cosmo's reaction. He's very food motivated, I clicker train him and he goes completly nuts.
He's also lovingly called "Trash cat" because if the lid of the bin isn't 100% closed he'll be the first one rummaging in it. Or if you have food ANYWHERE and trun your back for a second, he'll try to take a bite out of it. Monty knows the boundaries for human food xD Cosmo doesn't
So I shouldn't have been surprised at all xD
He also growls at Monty when he comes to close while he's eating, but I think thats alright

Now they're both fat, happy sleeping cats :lol:

Fingers crossed that this will solve the chaseing :crossfingers:

Yes! I hope so aswell!
I have a girl kinda like Cosmo but it is all about human food especially breads or sweets. :/ But she will steal any human food and can't leave it alone. But she is picky with cat food. :/

Let's see how they do. I don't think Monty means anything by the chasing and if he did Cosmo would hide and get away from him but it would be nice to get some sleep etc.

Fingers crossed it works. Let us know. Good job!!

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
I woke up at 6 and no cat greeted me, because they weren't that hungry apparently.
Fed them at 6:30 and Cosmo had no problem eating his whole portion. Monty left around half his portion. I also filled the two bowls with one ration of kibble (around 30g in each bowl) and I saw Cosmo frequently eating there.
He seems to be a rather hungry kitty :lol:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I woke up at 6 and no cat greeted me, because they weren't that hungry apparently.
Fed them at 6:30 and Cosmo had no problem eating his whole portion. Monty left around half his portion. I also filled the two bowls with one ration of kibble (around 30g in each bowl) and I saw Cosmo frequently eating there.
He seems to be a rather hungry kitty :lol:
Awwwwwwwwww, Cosmo.

Very interesting.

Fingers crossed, so far so good!!! :)

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
So after a whole day of having kibble out:
Cosmo ate the dry food like crazy, I had to refill with two spoons in each bowl today.
He must have eaten at least one whole day portion of kibble a cat would get whos only fed kibble.

I think Monty must have eaten some of the kibble aswell, because he left his wet food nearly untouched this evening.
I can hear Cosmo crunching on more kibble at this very moment.

BUT

We had no chasing at all today

I'm just abit torn about Cosmo's food intake right now xD

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So after a whole day of having kibble out:
Cosmo ate the dry food like crazy, I had to refill with two spoons in each bowl today.
He must have eaten at least one whole day portion of kibble a cat would get whos only fed kibble.

I think Monty must have eaten some of the kibble aswell, because he left his wet food nearly untouched this evening.
I can hear Cosmo crunching on more kibble at this very moment.

BUT

We had no chasing at all today

I'm just abit torn about Cosmo's food intake right now xD
I hear you on the overeating/weight gain fears. We'll have to see if he figures out it is not going away and will be more measured. Oftentimes, they take it while they can get it then realize it is going to be there and they aren't as anxious about it.

But the good news is, no chasing.

Let's see how it progresses and we'll adjust as/if needed

Great job!!

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
Monty woke me up at 6:30 as usual. Its fine my alarm clock goes off then as well.
He just doesn't eat his wet food anymore.
He ate like 20g (of 50g) and then looked around, checked the kibble, didn't want that either. Seemed hungry and interested but wouldn't touch the wet food.
He was never the type of cat to refuse wet food. He loves that stuff. And I really don't want to have him on a mostly kibble diet

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Monty woke me up at 6:30 as usual. Its fine my alarm clock goes off then as well.
He just doesn't eat his wet food anymore.
He ate like 20g (of 50g) and then looked around, checked the kibble, didn't want that either. Seemed hungry and interested but wouldn't touch the wet food.
He was never the type of cat to refuse wet food. He loves that stuff. And I really don't want to have him on a mostly kibble diet
He must be filling up during the evening?

Are you sure he seemed hungry and interested? Or was he just more curious. A lot of times cats will come over, sniff, etc but since they aren't hungry they just pass.

Even my cats sometimes aren't in the mood and they love their wet food as well. So given the recent change I wouldn't worry yet. I hear you on the desire to have more wet food in his diet. Maybe give a little less kibble for the night? Just try some different things and see how they respond. I think we are still early so there is still the novelty of it all.

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, after another whole day of them having kibble out all the time:
I decided to put the kibble in their catit catfood tree so they would have to work for it and ordered another interactive food bowl.
Monty ate his wet food tonight like normal (Okay, it was thei special filet pouch they get once a week xD spoiled little kittys)
I think Monty is to lazy to get the kibble out of the food tree xD
Cosmo on the other hand ate sooo much dry food again today xD It's a miracale that he didn't explode

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Amazing eye color wow yellow to green how beautiful! and pink noses/ears act as thermometers I've found.
Martin the pink nosed HUGE formerly abused shelter cat who met my Tortie ten years ago, after her being a widow 18 long months. He has always gone for her neck just holding her there as she allows, to show I am the BOSS! and I scold him but it doesnt help. He is now doing this to the Calico but shes not 19! I've never seen punctures or blood so he does it gently. But firmly.
. He loves her dearly and they spend many hours snuggled and cleaning inside each others ears etc so I let a little dominance slide, as its just what they do. This pic reminds me of the Stones song "under my thumb"
I think it will all work out fine for you and them. How many cats can we look at and tell the temps? Hes nice and warm here.
Martin the badass.JPG

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amazing eye color wow yellow to green how beautiful! and pink noses/ears act as thermometers I've found.
Martin the pink nosed HUGE formerly abused shelter cat who met my Tortie ten years ago, after her being a widow 18 long months. He has always gone for her neck just holding her there as she allows, to show I am the BOSS! and I scold him but it doesnt help. He is now doing this to the Calico but shes not 19! I've never seen punctures or blood so he does it gently. But firmly.
. He loves her dearly and they spend many hours snuggled and cleaning inside each others ears etc so I let a little dominance slide, as its just what they do. This pic reminds me of the Stones song "under my thumb"
I think it will all work out fine for you and them. How many cats can we look at and tell the temps? Hes nice and warm here.View attachment 358629
GORGEOUS!!!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, after another whole day of them having kibble out all the time:
I decided to put the kibble in their catit catfood tree so they would have to work for it and ordered another interactive food bowl.
Monty ate his wet food tonight like normal (Okay, it was thei special filet pouch they get once a week xD spoiled little kittys)
I think Monty is to lazy to get the kibble out of the food tree xD
Cosmo on the other hand ate sooo much dry food again today xD It's a miracale that he didn't explode
Perfect!! GREAT idea!!!

Great job Monty!!!!

They are spoiled, I LOVE it!!!

Hahahahaha, he may be a bit lazy to get it out. BUT if he is hungry he will.

Ohhhhhhh, Cosmo. I am thinking it is still the novelty. Was he feral? I am thinking there may still be some food insecurity going on THOUGH he didn't seem that way before the free feeding. We'll watch Cosmo and adjust if needed.

You are doing great. Very good thinking!!!

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it will all work out fine for you and them. How many cats can we look at and tell the temps? Hes nice and warm here.View attachment 358629
What a lovely cat you have there :redheartpump:

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
Perfect!! GREAT idea!!!

Great job Monty!!!!

They are spoiled, I LOVE it!!!

Hahahahaha, he may be a bit lazy to get it out. BUT if he is hungry he will.

Ohhhhhhh, Cosmo. I am thinking it is still the novelty. Was he feral? I am thinking there may still be some food insecurity going on THOUGH he didn't seem that way before the free feeding. We'll watch Cosmo and adjust if needed.

You are doing great. Very good thinking!!!

So since Monty woke me up, because he was hungry (it was past their morning feeding) I thought I would spend my morning sitting in the living room and observing the cats.
I prepared their wet food as normal (made a little less for Monty knowing that he didn't finish his food the last couple days.
They were both eating fine and I made the mistake of taking the dry food storage container out of the cupboard. That lead Monty to abandon his wet food and waiting for kibble. Putting the container didn't convince him either. Stupid move on my part I know.
So after they both finished (Cosmo ate the whole 50g and Monty like 20ish) I put the kibble in the food tree.
Cosmo walked away (!) laying down on a cardboard box nearby watching Monty.
Monty was one by one eating the kibble in the food tree and to my surprise Cosmo let him. Normally Monty just stands there letting cosmo throw everything out and eating just a few he missed.
After that he went to drink on the fountain.
I thought now Cosmo would eat the rest of the kibble. But he went for a dry aswell and laid down again.
I also have the slight suspicion that he doesn't like being watched while fiddling with the tree, because every time I hear it and go to look who's snacking he'll look around the corner and stop immediately.

So:
Cosmo let Monty eat first
Monty likes dry food more then wet?
They both seem to drying regularly
Cosmo didn't eat all of the dry food right away

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So since Monty woke me up, because he was hungry (it was past their morning feeding) I thought I would spend my morning sitting in the living room and observing the cats.
I prepared their wet food as normal (made a little less for Monty knowing that he didn't finish his food the last couple days.
They were both eating fine and I made the mistake of taking the dry food storage container out of the cupboard. That lead Monty to abandon his wet food and waiting for kibble. Putting the container didn't convince him either. Stupid move on my part I know.
So after they both finished (Cosmo ate the whole 50g and Monty like 20ish) I put the kibble in the food tree.
Cosmo walked away (!) laying down on a cardboard box nearby watching Monty.
Monty was one by one eating the kibble in the food tree and to my surprise Cosmo let him. Normally Monty just stands there letting cosmo throw everything out and eating just a few he missed.
After that he went to drink on the fountain.
I thought now Cosmo would eat the rest of the kibble. But he went for a dry aswell and laid down again.
I also have the slight suspicion that he doesn't like being watched while fiddling with the tree, because every time I hear it and go to look who's snacking he'll look around the corner and stop immediately.

So:
Cosmo let Monty eat first
Monty likes dry food more then wet?
They both seem to drying regularly
Cosmo didn't eat all of the dry food right away
:yess: :clap2: :hyper:

That is really great!!!

"I prepared their wet food as normal (made a little less for Monty knowing that he didn't finish his food the last couple days.
They were both eating fine" - Perfect

" and I made the mistake of taking the dry food storage container out of the cupboard. That lead Monty to abandon his wet food and waiting for kibble." - Interesting he loves the kibble so much. Novelty???

"Putting the container didn't convince him either. Stupid move on my part I know." - Yeah, they are pretty smart. No, not stupid at all.

"So after they both finished (Cosmo ate the whole 50g and Monty like 20ish) I put the kibble in the food tree." - Perfect

"Cosmo walked away (!) laying down on a cardboard box nearby watching Monty." - I LOVE this!!!

"Monty was one by one eating the kibble in the food tree and to my surprise Cosmo let him." - So sweet. I love the respect, the lvoe, the sharing.

"Normally Monty just stands there letting cosmo throw everything out and eating just a few he missed." - Awwwwwwww.

"After that he went to drink on the fountain." - Perfect

"I thought now Cosmo would eat the rest of the kibble. But he went for a dry aswell and laid down again." - Cats, they keep us guessing!! Hahahahah

"I also have the slight suspicion that he doesn't like being watched while fiddling with the tree, because every time I hear it and go to look who's snacking he'll look around the corner and stop immediately." - Interesting. That happens fairly often. I have some ferals I can't look at when they are eating and my inside former feral is like that. Not exactly fun when feeding an outside feral chicken by hand and not watching what they are doing!!! :/

So:
"Cosmo let Monty eat first" - LOVE this!!!

"Monty likes dry food more then wet?" - Very interesting but could be the novelty of it all.

"They both seem to drying regularly" - I think that means drinking. Yes, that is great as they need the hydration if they are eating the kibble.

"Cosmo didn't eat all of the dry food right away" - Maybe he ate overnight OR the novelty is wearing off?

Overall, I would say this is so positive. Let's hope it continues.

GREAT JOB!!! :rock:

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
So everything is going quite well I think.
They are just still eating a little too much kibble I think xD
I have to fill up the food tree and the inteligence bowl quite often.
I counted 8 scoops till now which is roughly equal to 144g and that means 72g kibble per cat ~
But that also means they eat a whole day ration of a cat just fed on kibble alone.
And to that 50g wet food in the morning and at night.

The only problem is. Well when they dry food is empty, Monyt will start to chase Cosmo again.

What should I do?
Just keep filling it up whenever it's empty?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So everything is going quite well I think.
They are just still eating a little too much kibble I think xD
I have to fill up the food tree and the inteligence bowl quite often.
I counted 8 scoops till now which is roughly equal to 144g and that means 72g kibble per cat ~
But that also means they eat a whole day ration of a cat just fed on kibble alone.

The only problem is. Well when they dry food is empty, Monyt will start to chase Cosmo again.

What should I do?
Just keep filling it up whenever it's empty?
"So everything is going quite well I think." - Great. No chasing by Monty?

"They are just still eating a little too much kibble I think xD" - Yes, that is the issue. I would experiment and maybe fill it a touch less and see how they do.

"I have to fill up the food tree and the inteligence bowl quite often. I counted 8 scoops till now which is roughly equal to 144g and that means 72g kibble per cat ~ But that also means they eat a whole day ration of a cat just fed on kibble alone." - How much should they be getting?

"The only problem is. Well when they dry food is empty, Monyt will start to chase Cosmo again." - We'll have to see. He may be out of that routine or will be soon.

"What should I do? Just keep filling it up whenever it's empty?" - I am thinking fill it up a little less each time and see how they respond. It seems to be working so far. but is it the amount or just the availability?

I would fill it up a touch less and see if the do ok. Then we can adjust as needed. I am thinking jsut the availability might be good enough rather than the amount being the solution. But we will see.

Keep up the great work!!

RocketPuppy97

Adult Cat
Purraise
"So everything is going quite well I think." - Great. No chasing by Monty?

"They are just still eating a little too much kibble I think xD" - Yes, that is the issue. I would experiment and maybe fill it a touch less and see how they do.

"I have to fill up the food tree and the inteligence bowl quite often. I counted 8 scoops till now which is roughly equal to 144g and that means 72g kibble per cat ~ But that also means they eat a whole day ration of a cat just fed on kibble alone." - How much should they be getting?

"The only problem is. Well when they dry food is empty, Monyt will start to chase Cosmo again." - We'll have to see. He may be out of that routine or will be soon.

"What should I do? Just keep filling it up whenever it's empty?" - I am thinking fill it up a little less each time and see how they respond. It seems to be working so far. but is it the amount or just the availability?

I would fill it up a touch less and see if the do ok. Then we can adjust as needed. I am thinking jsut the availability might be good enough rather than the amount being the solution. But we will see.

Keep up the great work!!

I think it could be the availability. I think I'll start measuring out the portion for the whole day and giving them little by little every time.

Before free feeding the were getting 50g wet in the morining 1 scoop of kibble at lunch (around 18g) 50g wet at dinner time and another scoop of kibble before bed.
The instructions for the dry say 55g-70g and 150g - 200g of wet food. (All instructions for feeding them as the only source of food)

I was always aiming for the lower end of the spectrum out of fear Monty could get fat.

Sooo the whole dry food supply is a little off right now