Cat intro - moral support thread?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cessena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had them both out for a little bit the other night, him playing with feathers while she was in her corner perch and could watch. But she decided to come out and explore and they had a little tiff. (She swatted him, and he was like 'The hell man")

I decided I would give them a little bit of a break today and keep them mostly seperate. But Vega came and hung out outside his door for a good hour. (through the baby gate.) She still hissed if he got too close but was otherwise pretty good. I guess we'll try to keep this up for a few days and hopefull the hissing will decrease?

He wants out SO bad, poor boy. I'm in here playing with him and he's still at the door.

cessena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since the last update I've been letting them spend more supervised time together. I'm a little concerned that I might be overdoing it? There is a lot of hissing and chasing, but neither one of them really seems to be hiding or trying to escape the other. Just working things out? I've been playing with them as a distraction if things get too intense.

Vega is definitely still very "keep away from me" and has initiated a few swats and chases around the living room. But Apollo doesn't seem to mind. He keeps finding spots near her to just chill where she doesn't get too freaked out.

Vega never really got along with our last cat so I"m just worried she's going to stay a bully. So I"m trying to keep an eye and make sure that if he really seems to want to get away he can and that she's not keeping him from any resources. But mostly they are just having minor tiffs about the best perches and chasing each other around. Albiet with more growling and hissing than I'd like.

Does this sound... ok? Is there anything I should be watching for to make sure I intervene?

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds OK to me. The fact that no one is hiding or avoiding the other is a good sign.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it sounds OK. Kind of like where mine are, some invisible barrier for "that's too close." "I'm not going any closer." No one is fighting, and when I look at a month ago the barrier has gotten closer for all 3.
Sounds like Apollo is minding the warnings, and cool with things, so that is great. It's kind of let them figure themselves out with oversight, since there is no fighting, resource guarding etc. And add positives when possible.

cessena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's been going great. Thanks to everyone for the support she advice. They wore each other out Friday and spent Saturday napping. Today they spent about an hour on the couch almost both cuddling me. I think most of the fighting is play now, but at the rate Vega's don't come near me zone is shrinking I would not be surprised to catch them cuddling within the month. Hopefully it keeps going well. I will add some photos.
IMG_20200221_143012_840.jpg
20200222_133809.jpg
20200223_143036.jpg
20200223_144001.jpg