Cat Intimidates Dogs

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back in the late 1980's, I had a Large neutered Maine Coon. I would take him for walks on a leash. On two occasions we had run ins with two dogs: a Medium size Poodle and a Dachshund. The Poodle encounter was on a sidewalk in front of the Poodles home. The Poodle came out on too the sidewalk barking at the cat and getting too close. My boy handled the situation by laying a claws out paw across the Poodles snout. Dog annoyance solved! The Poodles owner wasn't to happy about that. My remark to he woman was had your Poodle been leashed the incident would not have happened. The Dachshund incident happen when my boy was lying down chilled out taking a rest on a neighbors sidewalk. The Dachshund owner had his dog leashed. The Dachshund owner a guy let his dog come up close by the cat. The cat just flexed his whiskers not moving anything else and the dog jumped back. The Dachshund's owners wife was looking on from a distance and did not share the same humor of the incident. She verbally chewed out her husband for him allowing her "baby" to be placed in a dangerous situation. We fellows had a good laugh.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dachshund's "mom" was perfectly correct. Any cat worth its salt knows that it can beat any domestic dog in a fight (though I'd bet on the dog if a cat tangled with a pit bull), and when the cat is as big as the dog to start with that just makes it doubly true. Fortunately for the dachshund, it also knew that it was a bad idea to tangle with a cat as big as itself.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dachshund's "mom" was perfectly correct. Any cat worth its salt knows that it can beat any domestic dog in a fight (though I'd bet on the dog if a cat tangled with a pit bull), and when the cat is as big as the dog to start with that just makes it doubly true. Fortunately for the dachshund, it also knew that it was a bad idea to tangle with a cat as big as itself.

Margret
Actually my boy "Hobie Cat" ,named after my Sailboat . Was bigger than the Dachshund .