Cat Insurance?? Worth It??

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! I just adopted a 6 year old and I was looking into getting her cat insurance. The reason I’m so concerned is because one of my dogs had to have surgery twice and both times it cost a few thousand dollars!!! My mom said if she needs another surgery, we won’t be able to do it.

I love my little kitty more than life itself and cannot imagine not being able to save her (god forbid something bad happens) over the cost of the treatment. Which leads me to pet insurance. Anyone have it? Anyone recommend or do not recommend it? Thanks!!

meowmylexi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have pet insurance and I recommend it. It was reassuring during a difficult time with my second kitty, Tommy, who I had to unfortunately and heartbreakingly say goodbye to three years ago. He was only 22-months old. His condition was sudden and too far gone, but that entire process was covered in full. I've submitted claims for my other kitties as well, and I've found it to be worth it. Peace of mind, too.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Insurance is definitely worth it if something major happens to your kitty, especially if your cat is free of health issues at the start. Some companies (like PetPlan) offer 'insurance for life' type policies, meaning that they can't exclude a chronic condition (such as IBD, asthma, CHF etc) if it occurs later on. If you don't have an insurance for life type policy, these chronic conditions will be excluded from the policy after the annual renewal (I hope that's clear). It's also wonderful if kitty needs expensive treatment or operations layer on, as you don't have to agonize over the cost of treatment.

Do read the policy details carefully, and pay attention to the excess (the amount you have to pay before the cover kicks in). Then look at what your vet charges so you have an idea of how often the policy would actually pay out in the event of illness or injury. My personal feeling is that insurance for dogs is a necessity (especially for third party cover if, god forbid, something with another person happens and you get sued...), as is insurance for indoor/outdoor kitties (so many more things can go wrong). Insurance is a little more debatable for indoor only cats, as you are less likely to run into something the insurance would actually pay out for (this is why you need to pay close attention to the excess ;) ).

When choosing a policy, don't just look at the premiums. Cheaper isn't always better, and some of the cheapest insurers are notorious for fighting you on every claim. Do your homework, and read lots of reviews. When you have it narrowed down to a shortlist, you could ask people here if they have any experience with the companies in question. Pet Plan (my insurer of 30+ years) are absolutely wonderful, and almost never question claims (the exception has been with one or two issues with my horses, but the rules are different for equines in any case ;) ).

An alternative is to look at the premiums you would be paying, and set that amount (or even a little more) aside each week or month. That way, you build up a financial cushion to help cover vets bills should something happen, but you don't 'lose' the money if the vets bills never (or rarely) go over the excess.

Here are some threads on the subject:
Pet Insurance: Yea Or Nay?
Is Pet Insurance Worth It?
Pet insurance: which one?
Pet Insurance? Please help!!

This article has some info on insurance and alternative too:
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why dont you put a couple of dollars into a savings account each week. It will soon grow and if needed at least you will have some if not all to cover the cost. Insurance can be expensive, I have my cats covered for a small amount and the monthly cost isn't much but I also put a little each week into a savings account. As meowmylexi meowmylexi said, it's peace of mind.

meowmylexi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, what V verna davies said, too. I've put some money aside for their annual examinations and emergencies. Then I sumbit a claim and put the reimbursement back into my kitties account.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, what V verna davies said, too. I've put some money aside for their annual examinations and emergencies. Then I sumbit a claim and put the reimbursement back into my kitties account.
That reminds me - another key difference with insurance companies is how the payout happens. With Pet Plan, we fill out our bits of the form, then take it to the vet. Pet Plan then deals with the vet directly, so we only ever have to pay the excess, even in the short term (very helpful if you have a big bill and can't afford to cover it even temporarily).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow everyone thanks for the great information!!! I’m trying break my girl of her outdoor excursions habit slowly and it’s absolutely working but on days where I’m too busy to play with her a few times throughout, she does stand at the door and meow. She’ll only go out for a little bit and she’s always close by because when I call her name and ring her bell, she almost always comes running. I’m moving out of my parents and going to a small urban city, so I’m especially concerned about her getting it there. I want to give her some type of “catio” to keep her safe and away from other animals, cars, horrible people, disease and illnesses, etc. I would much rather save that amount every month, but I am pretty terrible at saving and I’m concerned about what would happen if it exceeded more than I had. I don’t think I’ll get it to cover her yearly exams and vaccines, but just for accident and illness. There’s so many companies who offer pet insurance - I’ve been losing my mind going through all the different policies!!! The things we do for our furry babies lol

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It can help to talk to your vet too - find out which insurers they find easiest to deal with. That can tell you a lot about the different companies too :)

I love Pet Plan, and thoroughly recommend them. I've never had a bad experience with them where small animals are concerned (ie cats, dogs etc. Horse insurance works a bit differently....but that won't affect you and your girl! ;) ).

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've submitted claims for my other kitties as well, and I've found it to be worth it. Peace of mind, too.
Sorry to butt in someone else's thread, but I'm desperate for information. Do you mind me asking what company and what policy did you have? My cat has had a UTI, corneal ulcer and now.. a blockage. Would we get approved if applied? Thank you!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry to butt in someone else's thread, but I'm desperate for information. Do you mind me asking what company and what policy did you have? My cat has had a UTI, corneal ulcer and now.. a blockage. Would we get approved if applied? Thank you!
You would likely get approval, but not for the illnesses your kitty has already. They, and any future complications resulting from them, would be excluded :frown:

meowmylexi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to pay upfront and then claim it back afterwards. That's where the saved amount comes in handy.

I'm in Canada and have Petsecure through Petline Insurance Company. It's the company the cat rescue had a trial with with every adoption. They've been great to deal with as well.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I insured both my kittens after I spent 600 bucks on a silly mistake the shelter made. I don't make a lot of money, so it reassures me to know that they should be covered whatever happens.

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

So from the little bit of research I’ve done so far, most won’t cover preexisting conditions. I do believe I saw you could get a much more expensive plan that would cover a preexisting condition. If I were you, I would call all of them and see what their policies are regarding preexisting conditions. And this is exactly why I want to her insurance for my little girl!!

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got PetPlan for Ailish the minute I got her. She was young and had no known problems, so that is the best time. I have not had to use it, thankfully, and I hope that it turns out to be a waste of money. I did not want to ever be faced with not treating her because I couldn't afford it. I also didn't want to be in the position of putting off taking her to the vet in the hopes that any problem would go away on its own and save me vet money. Don't forget injuries. People say that they wouldn't treat their animal for cancer or something that may not turn out well anyway, but animals do get injured, even indoors. Ingestion of foreign objects can often be cured, it happens inside, and it ain't cheap.

If you do get insurance, make sure you read the policy and see what you have to do to get the maximum coverage, specifically, you have to take the cat to the vet within a certain period before you get the policy and at regular intervals after to get normal check-ups. Also, if you don't get certain vaccinations they will not cover if you get the illness the vaccination would have prevented or any problems leading from that illness. Other plans may have different stipulations.

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of stipulations but it’s good bc it’ll make you more likely to bring them to regular vet checkups and get them their vaccines on time .. I know from my parents, they have 5 dogs and can’t afford to bring all of them regularly and don’t have the time. Not that it’s an excuse, but it happens to people sometimes. The problem is when one of the dogs get sick, there’s no coverage and then it costs soooo much more than any insurance would have. I got my girl as an adult and I’m trying to break her out of the habit of going outside but until then, I worry the whole time she’s out there. Insurance is especially important on an indoor/outdoor kitty. We had a cat attacked by I guess a raccoon and she somehow dragged herself home and collapsed outside with her stomach ripped open. My mom found her late at night and waited up with her until the hospital opened and she made it. Crazy vet bills though!!!