Cat injuring nose and mouth on wire door of carrier.

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a 14 year old that is injuring himself on the wire door of the cat carrier.  His poor little nose ends up bloody and so does the inside of his mouth.  I bought a carrier that has the front and top doors for loading but both doors are coated metal doors.  Has anyone else run into this problem?  I really can't afford to buy another carrier.  I was thinking that maybe I could place something, on the inside, of the door.  But I could use some helpful hints here.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you line the carrier with a large towel? And then when you place your cat in the cat carrier, place your cat on the bottom of the cat carrier, on top of the towel, and then basically fold over the towel so she will be completely, but loosely, covered. She will be hiding in the towel, which may calm her.
PS: why is she in the cat carrier to begin with?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The reason he's in the carrier is for the two most dreaded things for cats.  Vet and groomer!!  I don't know if he would stay covered.  When I do put him in the car I always throw a blanket over the carrier to create a hidey hole for him.

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our ancient Voyageurs have a gap at the top and bottom of the doors. It makes it easy to wrap the door in a receiving blanket so that the more squirrely members of our household don't end up with bloody noses and broken claws. If your door doesn't have a gap, you might want to consider a cat muzzle.

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am exploring that possibility of padding the door.  Sorry but I really don't want to subject Ole to a cat muzzle.  He wasn't my cat, to begin with, when my Mom started ailing, I started to take care of him at her house and then when she ended up in the nursing home, I brought him to my place to live.  I'm still working on the trust factor with him and I don't want to risk what I have so far with him.

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I am exploring that possibility of padding the door.  Sorry but I really don't want to subject Ole to a cat muzzle.  He wasn't my cat, to begin with, when my Mom started ailing, I started to take care of him at her house and then when she ended up in the nursing home, I brought him to my place to live.  I'm still working on the trust factor with him and I don't want to risk what I have so far with him.
My thinking was that sometimes cats chill out if they can't see, but muzzles definitely aren't for everyone. Actually, you could probably make a quilted pad with ties on each corner that could be attached to the inside of the door. I don't know why I didn't think of that yesterday...

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love that idea.  I was trying to think of a way to attach"something" to the inside of the door and your idea is great.  I thank you and Ole's nose and mouth thanks you.