Cat inhibiting another's play

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
We have three cats and they do get along well, except Lucy has issues with Carly - walking up, hissing and whacking her on occasion. (Much is 14, Carly is 4, Lucy is 3).

I need help for Carly. When we first got her a little over a year ago, she was underweight and really playful. Now she is slightly overweight and whenever she plays, Lucy interrupts it, usually with a run-by whacking. I need Carly to play because she has fattened up a little too much. But she always looks so cautious and tentative playing because of Lucy. I have shut Lucy away in another room but Carly never really relaxes and plays.

Is there something I can do to help Carly let loose and enjoy her play?

catpsych

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there,
In this situation since it is not too serious as far as aggression is concerned I would purchase a Feliway diffuser and plug that in the home. I would as soon as you see
Lucy even begining to think about pouncing on or whacking Carly distract her. Perhaps play a game with her with a fishing pole toy (Da Bird is a GREAT one) or get her to follow you into the kitten for some yummy treats. The goal is to keep her distracted and before you know it she will have a new habit of paying attention to you and seeing what you are going to do when Carly gets to playing. So, you just gotta break her babit of focusing so much on Carly. If Lucy does succeed in whacking Carly, calmly take her to a room to herself and close the door behind her, she can come back out in 10 minutes.....if she cries and carries on do not open the door until she is quite for a moment, otherwise you will be rewarding bad behavior. When you place Lucy in her room, do not make eye contact or give her any attention, just calmly place her in the room. This should do the trick. Good luck!

Kerry

Originally Posted by katachtig

We have three cats and they do get along well, except Lucy has issues with Carly - walking up, hissing and whacking her on occasion. (Much is 14, Carly is 4, Lucy is 3).

I need help for Carly. When we first got her a little over a year ago, she was underweight and really playful. Now she is slightly overweight and whenever she plays, Lucy interrupts it, usually with a run-by whacking. I need Carly to play because she has fattened up a little too much. But she always looks so cautious and tentative playing because of Lucy. I have shut Lucy away in another room but Carly never really relaxes and plays.

Is there something I can do to help Carly let loose and enjoy her play?