Cat in pain after neutering recently

darkxfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had this cat for almost a year and half. He was an abandoned neighbourhood cat. I got him his shots last year, and his neuter and chip done two days ago. My cat has been in a lot of fights before and has had abcesses, uri, and uti infection, and other painful experiances. He spends a lot of his time outdoor especially in the summer which I have been trying to stop. He doesnt ever seem to use a litterbox at home anymore. Today I noticed after a while he was in more pain than usual, and more grumpy. I called the spca I got him fixed at but got no responce. He is about 2 years old now.

How can I wean him off going outside, and should I be deeply concered about the pain he has now?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Regarding the pain, can you take him to a vet other than the spca?  It sounds like he really needs to be looked at and evaluated, the sooner the better.  Please try to keep him indoors if he is experiencing pain.  And keep us updated on his progress. 

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's normal for him to be a little sore. How bad does he seem? Is he eating, drinking, using the litterbox, etc.? If he just seems a little sore and cranky, give him a couple more days before getting too concerned. But if he isn't eating/drinking properly, or is having trouble in the litterbox, or seems to be VERY sore, or if he seems to have a fever, get him to a vet right away.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would check in with a vet, too. He shouldn't be in a lot of pain, and if he is but otherwise okay, the vet can give you some meds for the pain.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Adult male cats DO have significant pain after neutering, unlike young males.  Our vet prescribes buprenorphine orally every 12 hours for 3 doses starting the night after surgery and it makes a big difference.  By the time the meds are done, the pain is much less. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darkxfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He slept through it yesterday and it went away. I will keep an eye on it