cat in heat?

tara

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my 4 year old persian (have only had her 5 weeks) has started to behave strangely. She is manically restless, very affectionate and rolls over onto her back a lot - constantly wanting attention and rubbing against my legs. I would think she was on heat but the person I bought her from assured me she had been spayed and she isn't miaowing a lot more than normal. She roams around a lot outside but doesn't seem to be 'calling'. Do cats always 'call' when on heat? I tried something I read in a book about cats being on heat which is running my finger along her back to see if she lowers her body and moves her tail to one side. She did this once but most of the time will just roll over onto her back. This has been going on for about 5 days now. Any ideas?

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, yes they usually start talking a lot when in heat. She may just be looking for some attention. I would think the spay would be in her medical records or in a spay certificate. I will have to say..you are pretty brave for letting a persian outside though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tara

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she came from a home with 2 cats so maybe she's missing palying with another cat. I do go outside with her and follow her around. We live near loads of fields and next to a vast house with 5 lawns so it seems a shame not to let her out. She is very unlikely to find a road. do you think i shouldn't let her out? i can't resist her mewling at the door!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no, thats pretty much personal prefrence. Living away from main roads and away from wild animals, its nice to let them out. I was just saying because they are so hard to keep clean and free of knots.
It may be that she is just lonely. If she is used to having a play mate, she might just be wishing she had one. Cats are a lot more social than people think.