Cat in heat got out today

alfonsowentworth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female in heat escaped outside today - not for long but she may have been naughty. I can’t afford to book her in for spaying until 20th of August when I get paid. If she has got pregnant she would be two weeks along by then would that prevent her from being spayed?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Early to mid-term spays of pregnant cats are usually not an issue and many rescues routinely do them. I have spayed a number of pregnant ferals and was not always sure how far along they were. If there is any reason to be concerned about this, your vet or spay/neuter program will let you know. Cat pregnancies are 60 days, more or less, and you are only talking about 14 days if your calculations are correct.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alfonsowentworth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you yes I’m to get her in on my pay day depending on availability of appointments that day but potentially it could be a few days later before they can book her in. So it could be between two to three weeks pregnant at the time of spay?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
try to book your appointment as soon as possible. Many vets are requiring two weeks notice for appointments. I'd call now.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That time period should be fine, but try to get the appointment set up so you are not suddenly looking at a much longer time period where the pregnancy is much more advanced. That is more medically complicated, for some people more emotionally complicated, and you might be refused service depending on the practice you choose.