Cat In Car Accident

Retsie500

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I'm just looking for some advice really. Our beautiful young cat who we only adopted a few months ago was hit by a car, luckily she did not have an serious injuries (as far as we know ) about from being so traumatised that they put her in cat hospital over night.

Any advice on how to make her feel extra special this upcoming weeks ?

She's an outdoorsy and adventurous cat and I am so terrified to let her out again. Even though we let her out in the back she can find her way to the front and we've seen her in the front a lot. :/ we haven't had her long so any advice on the wbole outside business as well ?

Thank you in advance :)

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my!

I am so sorry to hear about that. :alright:
Thank you for taking her to the vet. I've personally never had to deal with that. I have seen a cat get hit, but the outcome wasn't good. I'm glad though she is okay. Once she comes home I would contemplate not letting her out by herself anymore. Due to the chance that it would happen again. Maybe it was a fluke, but she could have chronic vision/hearing/equilibrium problems as evidence by her getting hit.

Eventually, consider making her an enclosed outdoor space or taking her out with supervision from now on.

When she gets home keep a close eye on her. She may not be feeling the pain yet due to adrenaline, blocking out pain signals, and some inflammation.

I would think about buying her a heating pain (specifically made for pets) for aches. Her back is probably sore.

Additionally, make sure the house is quiet. Reduce her specific stressors (ex. the dog, vacuum, certain sounds, etc.). Give her a warm/comfortable place to relax. Give her some of her favorite foods. If she appears like she wants your company then give her your attention wholeheartedly.

I hope everything turns out okay for you guys :hearthrob: I'm happy though from a medical standpoint, so far, she is okay.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would think about buying her a heating pain (specifically made for pets) for aches. Her back is probably sore.

I believe fornana fornana means heating pad, not heating pain. Human pain medicines can be toxic to pets and should
never be given to a pet unless under the direct advice of a vet who will know what the proper dosage is. Even pet pain medicines should never be given unless under the advice of a vet.

A pet heating pad or blanket maybe helpful but some cats won't use it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a heating pad on Amazon for around 15.00 for a medium. Just make sure it is electric. Place a cover or small fleece blanket over it and place it in a bed and I have NEVER had a cat refuse it! I have four beds lined up in my sunroom with these pads, and in the winter they are always occupied. I have three outdoor ones too, for the outside cats. It would be good for sore muscles and bruises. I would definitely keep her in the house too, you don't want to take the chance of this happening again, I had a feral little female get hit three times, so they don't learn to be more careful either.

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I believe fornana fornana means heating pad, not heating pain.
Yes, thank you for the correction. I did mean heating pad :sweat:

Yes don’t ever give medicines to your cats (prescription/OTC/herbal/etc.) without talking to your vet first. That could be deadly.