cat in a lot of pains after spaying surgery

divin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So i took my cat today to the vet to spay her.

we took her home immedietly after the surgery while she still sleep because the anesthesia.

after about 3 hours she allready tried to walk and run and she fell a lot.

Now its about 8 hours since we brought her home and she sleeps on my mom and when we try to move her even a bit she meowing and seems like she's in pain.

Our vet told us to bring her everyday for the next 5 days for anti-biotics injection but i'm worried for now.

In the past i had my another cat spayed and she didn't seemed to be much in pain after the surgery like the present one.

what to do for now? i'm very afraid that something might happen to her because the movement.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This soon after a spay some of the common indicators of illness (limited food, limited water, poor litter box habit, etc) are already present. I believe that as long as she is breathing well and the incision area isn't red, swollen, pussing, or warm to the touch she didn't damage anything. Since you already are going in today for antibiotics check with your vet though to be safe. 

Keep in mind that every cat reacts to medications differently and even in humans it can take a day or two for the anesthesia to be fully out of their system. I have one cat who is incredibly grumpy and will growl anytime we get near him for the first day after going under. He continues like that for a day or two but my vet also does a long lasting pain medication so that is probably a factor.  She probably doesn't feel good and wants to just rest quietly. You can try offering her some human chicken or turkey baby food (gerber stage 2, no onion or garlic is my go to). Most cats will lap it right up and it gives them much needed moisture along with some calories in an easy to eat form. Not good for long term nutrition but a great sick cat treat. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is still under the influence of the anesthesia, and that makes her feel really weird. Also, is she older? The older the cat is, the more pain she'll be in after spaying. If she still seems to be in a lot of pain tomorrow, when you take her to the vet for antibiotics, ask about some kind of pain medication (don't give her any human pain meds! Very toxic to cats!).

Last edited: