Cat in a box

Togusdream

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tim, my youngest, had experienced seizures a year or so ago. We witnessed 3 or 4, and were unsure of more. Vet found no toxins in his blood but said he probably had epilepsy.
I started researching...found
an article about cardboard boxes possibly having amounts of pesticides from warehouse storage facilities.
He had been sleeping in this used box from a shipper for many days. Immediately we removed the box and he never had another seizure. This should be known to all animal lovers. It is a dangerous item to keep in the house.

Last edited by a moderator:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Amazon, for one, has shown that it does not spray its boxes with pesticides. However, that does not mean that other suppliers don't. Bugs are known to nest in paper and cardboard, so it is logical to think that there is probably some use of pesticides someplace within the shipping industry.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Interesting. My cat loves to chew cardboard and I noticed he had a little blister type thing on his bottom lip. I wonder if it’s connected. I am going to need to make sure I remove all boxes pronto!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Interesting. My cat loves to chew cardboard and I noticed he had a little blister type thing on his bottom lip. I wonder if it’s connected. I am going to need to make sure I remove all boxes pronto!
Blister at the bottom lip could also be from something else like eating from a plastic plate or bowl as plastic harbors bacteria and cats get feline acne from it.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Blister at the bottom lip could also be from something else like eating from a plastic plate or bowl as plastic harbors bacteria and cats get feline acne from it.
Doesn’t appear to be acne. One of my other cats had that on her chin, so I took away their plastic bowls a month or so ago. They have glass or ceramic now

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Doesn’t appear to be acne. One of my other cats had that on her chin, so I took away their plastic bowls a month or so ago. They have glass or ceramic now
Then better just keep tab on it. It could be a scratch from her own nails or could also be from the box. Sometimes cats get injured but you just don't know where they got it from.

If it's chemicals from the box she chews, it'll not only happen just on her chin, her whole mouth will be affected.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting this, never would have thought about it. Fortunately, my ol’ boy seems jaded as to boxes these days….

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I work in an Amazon and I know for a fact they do NOT spray pesticides on their boxes because I used to work near the box storage area in my building.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Then better just keep tab on it. It could be a scratch from her own nails or could also be from the box. Sometimes cats get injured but you just don't know where they got it from.

If it's chemicals from the box she chews, it'll not only happen just on her chin, her whole mouth will be affected.
I have 3 kittens and they all play and wrestle pretty rough with each other. So I kinda chalked it up to a claw to the lip. But I’ll def keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t get worse

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wrote Chewy to ask if they used pesticides on their boxes. here is the quote from their letter back to me.

I've confirmed that no pesticides or any other chemical are allowed near our boxes. Thanks to the genius kitties of the world, we've learned that they often like the box as much as or more than the gift itself. And for this reason, our boxes are 100% safe for any of your family members to play in. Perhaps tape a few together to make a kitty fortress!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I assumed that Chewy was going to be safe as they have that feature which encourages you to take a pic of your cat in their box, playing off of the "cats like the box better" idea and sending it to them or posting it on their FB page.