Cat In A Box: Should I Remove The Box?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
A couple of months ago I received an item packaged in a cardboard box.
I usually leave a new box available to Pallina for a while, she likes it for a few days, then she loses interest in it and the box goes to the waste.
This time this box is absolutely fantastic in her opinion, she never leaves it, sleeps in it, rests and relaxes in it, she rarely leaves it, only to eat and use the litter tray.

In the last few weeks she is unwell and this box has become a place for refuge, a shelter against whatever she thinks is bothering her.
Until before this box arrived, she would stay with us on the couch at night, or was interactive, would stay with us at lunch and dinner, and so on.
Now she only wants to stay in that box, it's an obsession, and I think this is changing her behaviour and the way she interacts with us and the world around her.

So, should I remove this box for good?
I fear that she could get stressed and feeling sicker than she is, I fear that her conditions might worsen, but I don't want that this box becomes the only interesting and most important thing in her life...
What would you do?

Pallina in the box.jpg

The box is long and she's able to hide at the bottom. Her squint eyes are because she's not totally well in these days and because she doesn't love to be photographed...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww.. what a pretty girl. Though, I see in your signature, being that she was born in 2001, she's more a senior lady. :hearthrob:

Can you take the box away temporarily and see how she reacts?

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would not take the box away. It brings her comfort. She doesn't feel well, as you said. When my cat feels poorly, she goes into the back of the closet. I don't like that but I know it means she wants to be left alone. Probably same for your girl. I hope she gets better soon!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would leave the box for her at least until she feels better. It seems like she feels safe there. Have you taken her to the vet to know why she isn't feeling well? I expect she'll return to be more loving with you and interacting normally after she's treated.

jinxybean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't take the box away, it's bringing her comfort. Now, as the others are pointing out, her behavior is changing and she's showing signs of discomfort. Have you taken her to the vet for an evaluation?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 - I know Pallina has taken a turn for the worse recently, and it is very concerning. I know you said that you do not want this hidey box she feels comfortable in to become the most interesting or important thing for her life right now, but she could really be declining. I wouldn't take the box away, rather make it very comfy for her with her favorite blankie and toy and keep the usual very close eye on her that I know that you do. Hugs to you...
:hearthrob: :redheartpump: :hearthrob: :crossfingers: :grouphug: :catlove:

Adway

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Although not offering a solution, I would like to suggest, can you buy her a nice padded small dog-house?

Prayers for her feeling better. Once she is well, I hope she will mingle with your family again.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 - I know Pallina has taken a turn for the worse recently, and it is very concerning. I know you said that you do not want this hidey box she feels comfortable in to become the most interesting or important thing for her life right now, but she could really be declining. I wouldn't take the box away, rather make it very comfy for her with her favorite blankie and toy and keep the usual very close eye on her that I know that you do. Hugs to you...
:yeah: I agree completely with PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws . In addition, I am also aware that Pallina has taken an unfortunate turn for the worse and that Antonio65 Antonio65 is a very loving and responsible caretaker to his cat.

As much as it may hurt that she is not interacting with you the way you may like I think you said it best, i.e. she is using the box as a refuge and may find it stressful if it is removed. She knows you are there for her and will seek your affection but on her terms. My heart goes out to you. :hugs: Sending special thoughts and best wishes your way. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get her checked out,by the vet straight away.
Have you taken her to the vet to know why she isn't feeling well?
Have you taken her to the vet for an evaluation?
Thanks for your kind and caring thoughts!
Like PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws said, Pallina hasn't been well lately and has been taken care of promptly, as I have also updated you all in my other thread
Pallina: Ibd And Pancreatitis - Advice Needed

Thanks for your suggestions.
So I will let her keep her box ;)

Pallina box 03.jpg

Almost sleeping, slightly disturbed by me taking the pic ;)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your kind and caring thoughts!
Like PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws said, Pallina hasn't been well lately and has been taken care of promptly, as I have also updated you all in my other thread
Pallina: Ibd And Pancreatitis - Advice Needed

Thanks for your suggestions.
So I will let her keep her box ;)

View attachment 240888
Almost sleeping, slightly disturbed by me taking the pic ;)
I'm very sorry to read about Pallina's test results. I had not seen that thread until PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws linked the thread here.

Yes, let her rest in her box, since she has chosen it. Wishing for healing and a good health outcome for her. :grouphug2:

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That first picture is a very contented kitty. Let your sweet old girl keep her box. I'm sure she still loves you and just found a spot that makes her feel safe with all her health issues. Just like you set time aside to play with her when she was young, lay down beside the box and give her attention a few times a day. It will help keep your bond with her. :grouphug:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If we are determined by the company we keep, I know that the cats in your life, Antonio65 Antonio65 , who are and have been dear hearts :redheartpump:, strong fighters, amazing loving and loyal and steadfast friends for you, show us clearly the wonderful person you are.
:grouphug: :alright:
I think that many users here are overrating me, but thank you for the compliment, I do appreciate it! :)

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise