"Cat-in-a-bag" carrier

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They look pretty funny to me. I imagine they may be more frustrating if the cat only feels partially restrained and just ends up tripping in the general direction they want to go. The picture of the cats in the car doesn't look very secure to me either. 

I read a post on another site just today about how a specialty safety belt harness saved their dog during a car accident -- and I've ready many stories like it where having a strapped in crate or a leash clipped onto the car prevented an animal from literally flying through the windshield upon front-impact, which unfortunately has happened to some people who now sing the praises of seatbelting in their pets. I could never trust my pet's safety to being wrapped in a bag.

Just get the crate early and leave it out for the cat to get accustomed to. Both of our cats love their carriers and frequently nap or lounge in them, so when it's time for a vet visit or we need to transport them anywhere, they're relaxed en route because it smells like them, and like home, and they're used to being in there.

Cat is not amused in this video, lol!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

eliza10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

They look pretty funny to me. I imagine they may be more frustrating if the cat only feels partially restrained and just ends up tripping in the general direction they want to go. ...

....Just get the crate early and leave it out for the cat to get accustomed to. Both of our cats love their carriers and frequently nap or lounge in them, so when it's time for a vet visit or we need to transport them anywhere, they're relaxed en route because it smells like them, and like home, and they're used to being in there.

Cat is not amused in this video, lol!
Yes, I really don't think the cat looks happy. Those eyes.

I guess I better start with the cat getting used to the carrier now...  Feliway I will certainly use., Do you think I can get my cat used to the carrier in two weeks, while I pack my house??  Slightly worried...

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try putting catnip or Feliway spray inside to attract them into the carrier, and then they'll at least get used to being in there. Some cats are very explorative and will jump in right away to check it out, whereas others will keep their distance from new things. If your cat adjusts well to a new carrier, it can end up being a safe place for them to hide while all the other stuff is getting shifted and packed!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just get the crate early and leave it out for the cat to get accustomed to. Both of our cats love their carriers and frequently nap or lounge in them, so when it's time for a vet visit or we need to transport them anywhere, they're relaxed en route because it smells like them, and like home, and they're used to being in there. 
This really does work! Our vet advised us to do it -- she suggested putting treats and toys in the carriers -- but the cats play and sit in them even without enticements. We put the carriers near their litter boxes so they're around them a lot. (Our vet says she's trained her cats to get in their carriers at the call of "kennel up!" She's big on emergency preparedness.)

We have a (soft, fabric) Sherpa carrier and a (hard, plastic) Petmate carrier and both are fine.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kennel up command is such a fantastic idea! We live in an apartment and our fire alarm goes off more than we'd prefer, and while we can hunt down each cat and scoop up the cats to toss them in the carriers, if there ever came a real emergency it would be SO much easier to have them go in on their own while we wrangle the other pet cages!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The kennel up command is such a fantastic idea! We live in an apartment and our fire alarm goes off more than we'd prefer, and while we can hunt down each cat and scoop up the cats to toss them in the carriers, if there ever came a real emergency it would be SO much easier to have them go in on their own while we wrangle the other pet cages!
Let us know if you do it -- yes, the command would be perfect for a situation with frequent fire alarms! We haven't done the special command because our cats are pretty good at coming when called by name (I think they always hope for food!
) and they don't fight the carriers.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wish my cat was as calm. :( The carrier's been in my living room since Day 1, and he avoids it like the plague. I throw a treat in there, and he just says "Ain't gonna fool me, pal."

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol! We got so lucky. When we went to the foster home to pick up Kismet, 3/5 of the kittens actually jumped right in the carrier. The two most curious ones kept climbing in, so we'd have to take them out to and try to get Kismet in first. And Mo, he just jumps into and claims everything. Ours open on the top and side though, and we leave both flaps open when we just leave the carrier around the apartment. We've closed (but not zipped) it up on them a few times just so when they actually do get closed into it, they won't panic.

I tried a little earlier with a few pieces of kibble, just saying Kismet, she'd look at me, tossing the kibble into the carrier and saying "kennel!" She went each time, but since it's only been a few times, she's really only following the kibble as I throw it in. We'll get there. I'll work on it.

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

lol! We got so lucky. When we went to the foster home to pick up Kismet, 3/5 of the kittens actually jumped right in the carrier. The two most curious ones kept climbing in, so we'd have to take them out to and try to get Kismet in first. And Mo, he just jumps into and claims everything. Ours open on the top and side though, and we leave both flaps open when we just leave the carrier around the apartment. We've closed (but not zipped) it up on them a few times just so when they actually do get closed into it, they won't panic.

I tried a little earlier with a few pieces of kibble, just saying Kismet, she'd look at me, tossing the kibble into the carrier and saying "kennel!" She went each time, but since it's only been a few times, she's really only following the kibble as I throw it in. We'll get there. I'll work on it.

That's so funny, pinkdagger -- I love that you tossed the kibble in the carrier and said "kennel!"

We leave all the carrier doors and flaps open, too. There have been several times when I've gone to the mud room and found Ireland just sitting in the Petmate carrier with her little head sticking out the top. She looks like she's be driving a convertible or something!

Our previous cat was like FhiCat's, though: we left the carrier out a lot but she would not go near it, even for treats.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
just WOW (my response to the video)

that lady had to have given her cat at least 3 bags of calming treats before she trying to "get the carrier on her cat"

just WOW

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try putting catnip or Feliway spray inside to attract them into the carrier, and then they'll at least get used to being in there. Some cats are very explorative and will jump in right away to check it out, whereas others will keep their distance from new things. If your cat adjusts well to a new carrier, it can end up being a safe place for them to hide while all the other stuff is getting shifted and packed!
How much feliway should be sprayed j to the carry cage for it to be pleasant?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just WOW (my response to the video)
that lady had to have given her cat at least 3 bags of calming treats before she trying to "get the carrier on her cat"

just WOW
He was much too calm. She put him in like he was a doll
Very unpleasant I found the video.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first cat would run away and hide, always in the same place. When I went to pick her up I had to hold her outwards as she would wee. Then she went quietly into the cage
Not too much of a fuss with gentle. Lotto like garfield
Legs splayed. Get. One leg in go for another and the first would come out. I worked up quite a sweat getting him in but he did get used you it. 2 baby sisters I adopted where quite happy. I just lut both of them in together. Unfortunately they had to be sent to rainbow bridge after a month. They both had IFP. Whisky is no problem at all. I'm dreading putting blighty in.
He HATES to br picket up and as soon as he sees the cage he'll slither out of my arms and disappear. HELP!

ashley davidson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's the first time I see such a thing. They look really cute and the cats don't look frightened, it's definitely more humane than carrying them in a cage. also, the cat on the video looks like "You done yet?", or "Get me out of his thing!" XD

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I keep Drogo's bed in his carrier, which looks like this:

As you can see, it's got two compartments/bowls that you can put food and water into. It's big enough for one of those fluffy beds with the siding. Drogo doesn't actually sleep there overnight, as he always jumps into bed with me, but he does take daytime naps in there pretty often. But as you can see it has a nice, open design and I'd imagine it doesn't feel like a "cage" or a restrictive place, more like a hideout. Its permanent place in my home is right next to Drogo's food and water bowls, so I hope he associates it with good times like eating turkey, his favorite food.

Overall he does not mind going in at all. I have never had to struggle to get him in there, he just goes. And I think having the bed inside makes him much more comfortable than if he was just sitting or laying on hard plastic.

The company that makes this model is called Suncast, if you're interested.

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's a picture of my kitteh in his carrier. He's just lounging in his fluffy bed, looking at me like, "Where are we going, dude?" It's comfortable enough for him to fall asleep during car rides, so I'd say it's a good option.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@Plan  i keep cat beds in my cat carriers too. i leave them open, and under my bed, with the opening to the carriers facing the outside...kind of like cat caves. my kitties love it! they go in...they relax, they come out. they haven't gone in that much tho recently..mostly cus of this nasty summer heat. even with the AC on, they prefer to lie on the cold hardwood floors 

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No kidding, it's disgusting here today...95% humidity on top of the heat makes it feel like the air is a soup outside.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

No kidding, it's disgusting here today...95% humidity on top of the heat makes it feel like the air is a soup outside.
lucky kitties. they get to chill at home in the ac while mommy works to pay the damn AC bill -___-