Cat imitating my new puppy

Vivian255

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Helpppp. I’ve had this cat for almost a year. He did great from the day I brought him home. He uses the litter no problem. I have a new puppy and it’s only 7 weeks uses pee pads and sometimes the floor. Now the cat is doing the same. How can I correct his behavior. It’s going to be a while before the dog knows to control its bladder and bowels.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I had an older cat who did this when I had an older dog who needed to use pee pads in the house....sort of opposite from your age group but the same situation. I am guessing that the cat will return to using the litter box when the pads are gone but try to clean up after the puppy as much as possible so the scent does not remain where he missed the pad....for both the dog and cat.

The only other thing I can think of is to control the placement of the pads in relation to where the dog and cat are in your house which may or may not be possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vivian255

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had an older cat who did this when I had an older dog who needed to use pee pads in the house....sort of opposite from your age group but the same situation. I am guessing that the cat will return to using the litter box when the pads are gone but try to clean up after the puppy as much as possible so the scent does not remain where he missed the pad....for both the dog and cat.

The only other thing I can think of is to control the placement of the pads in relation to where the dog and cat are in your house which may or may not be possible.
Thanks it’s crazy when the puppy is in the crate I find pooo and urine around so I know it’s the cat. I guess he’s being a copy cat lol

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. That could also be stress from having a new puppy in your home, and nothing to do with trying to copy the puppy. Plus, if he is doing it near the area where the puppy is/goes, your cat may be marking the territory as his own.

How is your cat reacting to the new puppy otherwise?
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog – TheCatSite Articles

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If he is still using the box I think that he will be okay once the pads are gone. I agree that it could be stress as well from having a new roommate.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
By any chance, are you using the puppy pee pads...that have the 'urine attractant'...in them?

I'd really love to see a photo of your cat and puppy,...when you have the time.

Vivian255

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking along the lines of what fionasmom mentioned, above...

that maybe you could place...another temporary litter box...near the pee pads...and see if your cat would then be more inclined to use it ...over the actual pee pads.
(the only problem with this...might be that the puppy then learns that it's okay to use the cat's litterbox, too.
Yikes. this is a kind of a dilemma.)

I'm not really sure why your cat would suddenly choose to use the pads...or the floor...since I would think it is because he hates the smell of the puppy urine...and is 'marking his territory' ...over the new puppy, by using his own urine and poop, too. (similar to what Feebysowner wrote).

How many litter boxes do you now have for your cat?
Would it be easy to add a few more...just until the puppy is potty trained?

Vivian255

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I only have one big box with a hood and door.
My fear of adding another litter is the puppy messing or eating it. She’s so little and so far only understands the NO command everything else will take a while. I will add another closed on near the puppy pads to see if that works.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
They are the most adorable little guys! I love the look on the cat's face in the pic of you holding him.

Covered boxes are best with the puppy in the house. The other side of this problem is that some dogs decide that eating cat poop is very desirable and that can lead to a lot of problems. With one of my GSDs I should have just put a sign over the litter box that said "bon appetit"

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I only have one big box with a hood and door.
My fear of adding another litter is the puppy messing or eating it. She’s so little and so far only understands the NO command everything else will take a while. I will add another closed on near the puppy pads to see if that works.
That makes sense, yes, it would be dangerous if your puppy would start to eat it.
Good on you for getting your puppy to understand the NO command. :)

**One tip I used when doing puppy potty training...was attaching a type of door knob strap with tiny bells on it...so that everytime the puppy would come near the pee pads...I would ring the bells...and try to get him outside in time for pottying.
Amazon.com : Dog Doorbells

(I don't know how you set up your pee pads...but mine were right near a sliding glass door, and another set near the other back door.
He also had some inside his dog crate, and some right outside near the crate...because he would chew on his pee pads. We had to tape them down to the floor with masking tape. Fun times.:eek2::jawdrop: :nono: :lol: :wink:)

PS. Your animals are beautiful. I especially like the third photo of your cat...checking out the puppy's tail.
I'm sure he's thinking...."I hope her tail starts wagging. So I could catch it.". haha.
They are the most adorable little guys! I love the look on the cat's face in the pic of you holding him.

Covered boxes are best with the puppy in the house. The other side of this problem is that some dogs decide that eating cat poop is very desirable and that can lead to a lot of problems. With one of my GSDs I should have just put a sign over the litter box that said "bon appetit"
Lol. I forgot about puppies wanting to explore, taste and try everything out.
You're right, I do remember mine trying to check out the poop.:barfgreen:
I think I needed one of those signs, too.:lol:

(Strangely, or maybe not,...my 9 year old black retriever dog...will occasionally still bury his 'rawhide bones' inside the cat's litter boxes.
I've found them once, but my younger sister has discovered them a few more times.
It makes me think he's not that smart to be burying it in a place he knows is checked frequently...or else maybe he's super smart and telling me that the brand I buy is really, really bad. The jury is still out. :think: But I know he's smart...so it must be the latter.:blush:)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Bells are very popular for training dogs to use the door and a number of my friends use them. My dog is way too old and lame to ask him to do something like that now. We have pee pads in the house in a number of areas as his Cushings and kidney condition progress. The current cats hate to see him use them and run over and toss them into a ball so that everything is covered.