Cat Ignoring Me/Sad After Nail Cutting

hou baby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! Need some advice.

My 1-yr-old cat, Houdini, does not like her nails done. I have taken her to three groomers/vets and she goes ballistic when someone tries to cut her nails. She claws, bites, and scared the crap out everyone who has tried to cut her nails. The vet suggested sedating her to do her nails. But he also suggested that I try to do it at home.

Today, Houdini was sleeping and I was able to cut the nails on one paw. She was still sleepy when I tried the other paw and began to growl and squirm. I let her go and gave her lots of treats and talked to her, trying to calm her. Since then, she has been very subdued and seems sad/unhappy.  She is normally very playful, biting and purrs a lot.  None of that tonight. Will she return to her normal self or did I scare her? 

Thanks!

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is the same, but tolerates it a bit more than your cat I think!

She tends to give me the cold shoulder for a bit, but soon returns to herself within the hour. Just give her some time :)

kutubira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She'll return to her normal self. My cat always does the same. She even looks at me when she can't climb somewhere normally she could with her nails. She's like "You see what you did to me?" But then we go back to normal. 

By the way, I have to tell you that when I read that you tried to cut the nails while she was sleeping, I immediately thought of me and my cat, and it was funny. Most of the time I do the same and she wakes up and calmly stares at me, asking "What the hell are you doing?". Then if I proceed, she goes nuclear. 

I found that familiarizing her with the tool you use to clip her nails is a good way. I put the nail clipper near her. She examines it, sometimes 'fights' with it and when she's convinced that she could take it on any day, I start clipping her nails. Of course she doesn't just sit there. This is a rare miracle she gives to me, sadly. But it happens time to time. 

spiffykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she's just upset because of the claw trim, I think she'll be fine soon. Most cats bounce back fast.

BUT if she continues to act differently, I'd make sure she is eating normally, using the litter box normally, drinking normally and so on, just in case she's feeling sick and it's not due to the claw trim.

Congrats on trimming the claws!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hou baby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone!  You were right. She bounced back quickly and is back to her fat, sassy self. I was just worried since it was the first time I had cut her nails and I was a bit stressed out by it.  But I am sure after several more times, both of us will be used to it.

cyndilaupurrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am taking Cyndi today for her first trim, I bought a set of clippers but am too nervous to use them so thought it better to pay a professional. Today will be more meet and greet and if she likes him maybe do a few toes or all if possible but doubt it...lol

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have 6 cats and every month it's clipping time in the house. I start trimming their nails from the first day they arrive home. Might as well get used to it because it's going to happen monthly. 2 of the 6 I can do by myself they are just so use to it by now the others my Jim holds the in his arms while I clip away. I used a very good human toe nail clipper with a straight edge no curve or u in it. It usually takes us 15 minutes to do all 6. Once I'm done each cat, I take them from Jim's arms, give them a hug and kiss then bring them back to the place I picked them up from. i'm only interested in getting the pointed tips off so I can do it rather quickly. I am no where near the quick, which is the blood vessel you see when nipping the tips. I love my cats and we love to play so there is no reason for anyone to get scratched while horsing around. And yes I also cut the back nails as well. :woohoo:

cyndilaupurrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I am taking Cyndi today for her first trim, I bought a set of clippers but am too nervous to use them so thought it better to pay a professional. Today will be more meet and greet and if she likes him maybe do a few toes or all if possible but doubt it...lol
Ended up taking her yesterday and cannot believe how easy it was. She quirmed a bit but the groomer was so fast she hardly had time to realize what was happening. The problem was later on when she tried to climb her cat tree she had problems getting a grip and had a couple of nasty falls