Cat hurt eye?

Jupiter_hadley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat, Pesto, is a Mainecoon who is a year old. He is an indoor only cat, and hasn't been outside recently (within the last week). One morning, I woke up and his eye was all weird. There is like a bump above his eye that seems quite red-ish through his fir. It has been two days, and I am worried. Should we take him to the vet? Or wait for it to clear up?

Previously, our other cat, Pancake, use to scratch his eye while cleaning it when he was around the same age. We just let it heal on it's own. His eye would do the same puffy thing, but I don't feel like it lasted this long, and am just worried! We saw Pancake do it to himself, where as we did not see how Pesto hurt his eye.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! To me, it looks inflamed and possibly painful. It is not exactly like what happened to Pancake, so I would call the vet. This might be easily treated and managed, but letting it progress could result in a much bigger issue all around.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat, Pesto, is a Mainecoon who is a year old. He is an indoor only cat, and hasn't been outside recently (within the last week). One morning, I woke up and his eye was all weird. There is like a bump above his eye that seems quite red-ish through his fir. It has been two days, and I am worried. Should we take him to the vet? Or wait for it to clear up?

Previously, our other cat, Pancake, use to scratch his eye while cleaning it when he was around the same age. We just let it heal on it's own. His eye would do the same puffy thing, but I don't feel like it lasted this long, and am just worried! We saw Pancake do it to himself, where as we did not see how Pesto hurt his eye.
My boy "Jackpot " has a eye issue as well. It's been watery for the past few days. With some discharge. So tomorrow morning Jackpot is going to hate me as we go to the Veterinarian in 6 degree F weather.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another vote for go to the vet and have it checked, it's better to be safe and find out its something and nothing than take a chance with eye's.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy "Jackpot " has a eye issue as well. It's been watery for the past few days. With some discharge. So tomorrow morning Jackpot is going to hate me as we go to the Veterinarian in 6 degree F weather.
Jackpots doctor visit went well. He bellowed his head off as soon as he felt the freezing cold through the carrier. He didn't shut up until 5 minutes had passed in the exam room. The doctor found a light cornea scratch using black light. He prescribed eye drops 2x per day for 7 days. Jackpot also received a 3 yr. Rabies booster and had a pedicure. Once he was home he was al km quiet again.