Cat hitting gently people's legs as they walk

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone knows why some cats will jump on to people's legs and pat them gently with their front paws?
My cat Sombra will do this when I walk around my apartment.in the evening.turning the lights out.
My elder daughter's cat Mishi will do this any time she walks rapidly in her garden.
Neither Sombra nor Mishi mean to be aggressive but I wonder why they act in this way which could make us stumble;

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone knows why some cats will jump on to people's legs and pat them gently with their front paws?
My cat Sombra will do this when I walk around my apartment.in the evening.turning the lights out.
My elder daughter's cat Mishi will do this any time she walks rapidly in her garden.
Neither Sombra nor Mishi mean to be aggressive but I wonder why they act in this way which could make us stumble;
probably they want to play or just want attention graycie does that to me all the timei just stop in place when she does that to me i use a cane to walk and the lil brat targets my bad leg :lol:its the predator instinct go for the weak spot:lol:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, I would agree with the above. Domesticated cats' version of 'attacking' - aka playing. Not much you can do about it but always be on the alert to save yourself from a fall. The good thing is that you pretty much know when to expect it and can be on alert.
You can also take along with you string toys to 'lead the way' so that is what is 'attacked' instead of you.

Not the same thing at all, but we know to be cautious when going into our areas of the house when it is dark, and our 'doofus' cat has decided that laying right in the middle of the floor is a good place to be.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is almost certainly simply play...but ALL play in cats is honing hunting skills. Your cats are wise enough to know not to use claws for this kind of play. They may really enjoy having play sessions with a wand toy two or three times a day!

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could be a simple- “Hi there”- but yeah, probably- “Play???!!!” 😁

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It is just play but I don’t like it and have never allowed it. It scares people, can produce a scratch and most importantly, can cause someone to trip over the cat and fall. When one of mine has done it I stop, face them and then give them a glare and mom voice “stop that!”. It does work if you are consistent. When my mother’s nine year cat came to live with me last year she had no manners and loved these not always gentle “attacks”. She has pretty much stopped now.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Minish doesn't jump on my feet but she strategically lays down at the corridor. Where she can see both living room and the way to the kitchen. She sometimes does this light pat on my foot as I pass. I take it as a "hey, what's up?" and telling she's up to playing together if I want. When I say "hey minish" I and walk past, it doesn't go further