Cat Hissing At Sister Post Vet Trip

rmbxr9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've read online a little about cat-aggression after returning from the Vet, but how long does this period usually last?

I took one sister to the vet 3 days ago, she was there for about 2 hours, brought her home, and the other sister is still hissing at her and wants nothing to do with her.
They're not fighting, but if she walks by her or comes in the same room she'll do this low register quick hissing. Just quick little HISS-HISS-HISS-HISS-HISS

Leading up to this, they were connected at the hip, sleeping on top of each other, grooming each other, playing etc.
The vet-cat looks at her like "What the hell..."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rmbxr9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There's also another male cat in the house, who doesn't care at all. Welcomed her back home immediately...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The non-recognition aggression can last a few hours, to a few days, and in extreme cases for a long while. You can try the vanilla trick - Ode to vanilla extract - and see if that speeds up the process. Or, try rubbing the smell of the stay-at-home sister on the went-to-the-vet sister. If this continues much longer, let us know, as you might have to resort to doing introductions as if they had never seen each other before - but, I hope not!!!! Keep us posted!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rmbxr9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I'll try to blanket thing tonight and see what happens.

She's not aggressive at all, like not chasing or attacking, just hissing

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My youngest cat Casey hisses at my other cats when they get home from the vet. If there are no attacks and just hissing it is safe to let them work things out. I have had success getting this to go away faster by wiping down the cat that just came home from the vet with a piece of dirty laundry. The last time this happened to me was about two weeks ago. Apollo came home from a vet visit and went to groom Casey. Casey hissed in his face and ran away. Apollo just had this look on his face like what is wrong with you Casey. These two groom each other and play together. It can take anywhere from a couple of hours to a few days. The longer the cat was at the vet the longer it takes things to go back to normal. When Sonny was hospitalized for 3 days it took almost a week for Casey to stop hissing at him. Sonny just ignored him. Casey also hissed at Apollo after he groomed Sonny and hissed at us. Casey did not hiss at us or any of the other cats besides Apollo when he came from the vet. Apollo was only at the vet for a short amount of time.