Cat hisses at toy

Cutegrapefrute

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats hisses at the feather toy (only every the feather wand toy) when I play with him. Is that a normal play response? I have never seen cats hiss at their toy before. He chatters as well which is normal.

My guess is he gets frustrated when he can't catch it :lol:

Does anybody else's cat do this?

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nope but it sounds like he's just really into his 'hunt' and just wants to get that feather! Doesn't sound worrisome unless he carries over aggressive behavior after the play session is ended.

Make sure he does have a chance at 'catching' it from time to time, and maybe let him start dragging it away for a bit before you distract him with a treat or another toy :)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hisses seem to mean a lot of different varieties of negative/warning/displeasure. I had a cat that would hiss at the front door if he didn't like the weather, which I took to mean either "dang that stinks" or "hooman! Don't even think about making me go out!" Your cat's is maybe something more like frustration? Or maybe its a role playing type communication that is integrated into the play -- "I am going to eat you foul feathered thing!" Wouldn't it be grand if your cat was role playing? Probably not too likely, but cats *do* seem to role play with random debris/toys that they seem to pretend is prey so it may be possible! Either way, not any weirder than hissing at the rain, or any of the weird ones that folks might share.

I suppose just be careful to rule out that your cat isn't actually afraid of the toy. If cats can be afraid of cucumbers, I'm sure they can be afraid of certain toys, especially if someone in the house overdoes it with how they move it. Maybe move it less vigorously if you aren't sure.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cutegrapefrute

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Make sure he does have a chance at 'catching' it from time to time.
haha yes i let him catch it but i do make him work for it. he needs the exercise. His favorite toy by far is a ball of yarn and he will hold onto it very well and drag it away in his mouth. then i just have to wait a few mins and get another toy for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cutegrapefrute

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
"I am going to eat you foul feathered thing!"
You're probably right. I just didn't know if it was normal and other peoples cats did it. I thought hissing was more a sign of warning or distress than used in play.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl is ten and she still hisses at toys, walls and sometimes nothing at all. She just opens her mouth and a hiss comes out. It is much more a sign of excitement that anger or fear. So I would put your kitten’s hissing under the category of normal for some cats and really kind of cute,

Hlee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol. No hissing but I had a cat that would growl softly at feather toys and another that would growl when the back door gate would open.

Last edited: