Cat hisses at me when I’m upset ..

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve been a cat parent for almost 5 years now to Gracie who let’s just say is not the most affectionate cat.. I’ve had her through most of the hardest times of my life and she has seen me breakdown many times over the years . Lately however if I have a cry she gets scared , bushy tailed and even starts hissing at me (which makes me more upset ). She never previously did this and I’m wondering if it’s because I’ve spent the last year working from home , with her every day she is picking things up more .

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t worry about it. She is just telling you that you crying, be it the sound you make or just a different look on your face is making her nervous.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It could be more impacting to her since you and she are around each other all the time. Different cats react to human emotions in different ways. I can tell that Feeby is not a big fan if there is any yelling going on, and she stays very quiet if someone is being otherwise emotional in her presence. But my Gracie (RIP) would paw at my legs and meow if my voice was louder than normal. We would watch football games and yell - and sure enough Gracie would practically crawl up my legs to tell me to stop. We learned after a few times of that to use 'whispered shouts'. You could always try to remove yourself from the immediate area and see if that makes a difference.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she is confused and scared, you are acting in a way she doesn't understand and you are scaring her. She is sensing something is very wrong and is upset. She is older now and more attuned to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all . She has always been mega sensitive and I’ve always assumed indifferent however as we are always together I’ve noticed she follows me around more often plus moves her favourite toy to the kitten when I came back from being out .. I wonder if she runs to it for comfort when I’m gone