Cat hides in corner

jdcrews

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had a new stove delivered & installed last Friday. Since that day, our cat, Lexie has stayed under the quilt rack in our bedroom. We tried bringing her out but she just ran back. She wouldn't eat or drink for a day. We started putting her food in the bedroom & she did eat. She's coming out a little bit now but only at night. We had this same issue when we had a new ceiling fan installed. Why is she doing this & how can we help her?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We had a new stove delivered & installed last Friday. Since that day, our cat, Lexie has stayed under the quilt rack in our bedroom. We tried bringing her out but she just ran back. She wouldn't eat or drink for a day. We started putting her food in the bedroom & she did eat. She's coming out a little bit now but only at night. We had this same issue when we had a new ceiling fan installed. Why is she doing this & how can we help her?
Cats don't like changes and new stuffs in the house. They kind of get spooked by them. It's very normal. As long as she is eating in another room and using the litterbox, I would not be worrying so much.

Let her explore the stove at her own time. Over time, she'll get use to it once she knows it's not a threat her. Just keep assuring her that it's ok.

My boy is the same, recently, we bought a massage chair and place in the room that he goes in all the time and after having the chair in there, initially he dare not go into the room and just sit outside the room and look in. Slowly day by day, he gain courage and move in bit by bit and smell the chair and now he goes into the room all by himself again.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above -- some cats react poorly to noise & change. A patient approach should suffice to deal with her stress after these routine changes in your home. However, your cat's reactions are severe & lengthy enough that I would worry about she would react to sustained renovations in your home. You will want a more thorough plan for dealing with any such lengthy renovation projects, including potentially getting medication from the vet to help the cat relax and, if possible, setting up a safe area for the cat as far from the renovation as possible. Talk to your vet about this at your next visit so that you'll understand the plan. Certainly, if you are considering such a major project, like say tearing out and redoing the kitchen or repainting most of the house, the fact that doing so could be a serious issue for your cat should be weighed. Of course, I don't know how old your cat is, and it may not be reasonable to not renovate during her lifetime - sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Last edited: