Cat Herpes?

datranch37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Guys!

My baby boy is a 7mo British Shorthair (he might be a mix, I'm not sure) and I've had him for 5 months now. He's always had stains on his eyes, and I never thought much of it. I was told that British Shorthairs, Persians, and other breeds tend to get teary eyes because of the shape of their faces (smushed face).
His eyes get teary quite often during the day, and he has orange-colored crust on his eyes. I bought him tearstain remover when I got him, and I wipe the crust off his eyes daily. The crust doesn't seem to bother him, however the tears do bother him a bit. I catch him trying to wipe his eye with his paw, and his eye can get quite closed, but he's generally back to normal within a few minutes, and again, he isn't in any pain or anything like that.
I was watching a video about cats and they mentioned that crust and teary eyes is a sign of cat herpes? I've always thought his tears and crust were because of the shape of his face.

Do you guys know anything about this? He's been like this since I got him when he was 2 months old. Is there a treatment he should be on?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

datranch37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found this picture from when he was around 4 months old. You can kind of see the orange crust a bit? It’s not too prevalent, but it’d definitely there on a daily basis.
E9412B8D-860B-4D18-8089-613D8477DC16.jpeg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's possible that's it's Feline Herpes, but usually along with the eye goop, they have respiratory issues during a flare-up. But this virus is normally in cats that were obtained from a shelter, not a breeder. Since your little one is a particular breed, did you get him from a shelter or a breeder? Did he have all his kitten shots? There is a vaccine for this, so presumable he was immunized against it. Of course, he can be tested, and if, indeed, he does have it, then there are things he can be given to help prevent flare-ups.

I'm thinking since he has always had this, it's NOT Feline Herpes. Normally they have flare-ups and then show symptoms. Other times all is well.

Ocular (eye) Herpes In Cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

datranch37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's possible that's it's Feline Herpes, but usually along with the eye goop, they have respiratory issues during a flare-up. But this virus is normally in cats that were obtained from a shelter, not a breeder. Since your little one is a particular breed, did you get him from a shelter or a breeder? Did he have all his kitten shots? There is a vaccine for this, so presumable he was immunized against it. Of course, he can be tested, and if, indeed, he does have it, then there are things he can be given to help prevent flare-ups.

I'm thinking since he has always had this, it's NOT Feline Herpes. Normally they have flare-ups and then show symptoms. Other times all is well.

Ocular (eye) Herpes In Cats.
Ohh I didn’t know that! He’s always had it, no flare-ups or anything like that. No respiratory issues Either.
I didn’t purchase him from a breeder, I adopted him from a girl who didn’t want him anymore. I think she bought him from a pet store, she didn’t give me any details on the pet store or how ethical it is. I did give him all his shots, and his boosters. He isn’t late for any of them.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He's a lovely boy :loveeyes: I've never had a cat that needed to have their tears wiped away, but did find this thread, if it helps: Owners Of Flat-faced Cats, I Need Your Input!

I just want to add that I am only a lay person, have no medical background. I am only giving you my opinion that I don't think it's Feline Herpes based on what you've said. If you want to be absolutely certain, then you would need to contact your Vet.