Cat health

elizabeth.88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi i am 14 years old and i have 2 cats one male and female. My male is 6 months and my female is 5 months and pregnant. Recently my male cat and female cat both vomited and my mum doesn't even care about taking them to the vets. I had my male cat before my female and when we was 8 weeks old we only took him to the vet then to get treated for ear mites but other than that he didn't have any vaccinations done or no deworming or flea treated. I dont know what to do to make my mum take him to the vets,i want him to be treated so badly because i love him so much. He has really bad ear mites aswell now, his ears are bleeding so much and my mum cuts both their nails until blood comes out and doesn't even do them properly. It hurts me to see my cats suffering like this and i want to help them but i can't

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You have a pregnant cat that is very young, so she does need to be checked out and monitored by a vet. And, both of your cats need to be spayed/neutered, or there will be many more litters to follow. If none of this is possible, you might consider checking to see if there are any rescues that would be willing to take them. You are not in a position to be able to make decisions for these cats - at least not in the near future given your age. Friends, family members or neighbors might also be people to talk to about one of them taking over care of your cats. Or, perhaps some of them would be willing to talk to your mom about proper cat care. She might listen to them.

I can give you some brief suggestions about their issues, but the bottom line is that they need to be rehomed so they can get the care that they need.

If the cats only vomited once, it may not be anything urgent. Both could have gotten into something they shouldn't have. Plants, cleaning products, and other similar items around the house. Even if they are vomiting more than that, it could be their food has gone bad. So, at least check the expiration date to see if it is still good. If you can, you could buy more of their food and see if that stops the vomiting.

If you are able to afford it, you could call the vet and tell them the ear mites are back and see if they would let you pick up some more treatment without them having to see the cat. The odds are it has been too long ago, and the vet will want to see your cat. But, it can't hurt to try.

As far as trimming their nails, can you learn how to do it and take over that job from your mother? Any friends, family members, or neighbors who have cats that could show you how to do it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elizabeth.88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes i have been learning recently how to cut their nails and wash them, I do not want them to be rehomed they are my cats and I am sure there are rspcas and charities that help. Thank you for your email

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sure you know how to search to find charities and other resources for help. But, the first thing you need to ask any of them is whether you can solicit for help being a minor and not technically the owner of these cats. Talk with them honestly about your situation, maybe they will have some ideas/recommendations for you.

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi elizabeth.88, and Welcome, Thank you for taking the time to post your story, at 14 years old you already have quite a big heart and lots of concern for these two cats, is mainly why I'm posting, I only wish more 14 y/o's showed more interest in animal care as you......I'm sure you feel your hands are tied somewhat because of your mum, but I'm sure she probably has reason for her actions......
In my experience, If ear mites go un-challenged, what will happen next in a lot of cases, the cat's ear itch gets to the point were the cat starts trying to scratch the inside of the ear with it's back foot which can cause bleeding when foot nails cut open blood vessels inside the ear, then you have a whole other problem hopefully that's not what's happening in your case......my thought is "always try to keep rear foot out of ear" if at all possible.....
If you are able and your mum or you can afford it, are you able to put ear drops in the cat's ear ?? if so, I have had good results using Eradimite by Zoetis on fighting earmites......

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh and one more thing elizabeth.88, even healthy cats throw-up every now and again, it's just something they do.......