Cat Health

SOBRYAN

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have a possible stray that I have been feeding; large yellow white male. Does not come around all the time. Showed up 2 days ago
with large muddy scrape-type wound on side of face. Think he might have been hit by something. Horrifying! No blood, might be some swelling possibly below it. Have other inside cats and Feral kittens outside that I feed. He somewhat friendly but little skittish if he does get what he wants when he wants it. Bottom line, afraid he will not allow us to get him in carrier to transport to Vet; and,possibility he has FIV(pink eyes). So afraid they will not treat him anyway. Husband tried to at least clean mud off; but, not much success. He is eating some; but, again we do not see him for all meals or every day. Hard to ignore any animal in distress. We have pain meds if we can get some down him andat least clean his face. Of course, there is the cost for Vet if we can get one to examine him. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
He's definitely not a feral so hopefully the vet doesn't have reluctance treating a stray.

With that said however, how much more does he allow you to touch him? Can you continue to try and clean his wound, and apply this, from Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 ?
"I'm going to suggest chamomile tea. Buy a box of plain, unblended chamomile tea from your grocery store. Brew a cup and chill it in the fridge. Use it as a wash on the area, applying very gently with a soft cloth. Chamomile is antibacterial and anti-fungal, as well as wonderfully soothing to pretty much ALL skin ouchies and surface wounds.

I recommend buying the tea bags because ALL commercial chamomile tea is made from German chamomile, which is medicinally active and is safe for cats in those dosages. ENGLISH chamomile is pretty useless medicinally, and is actually toxic to cats. Since the two look very much alike, buying the tea bags takes the guesswork out of it."

Are you sure this isn't from a fight - in other words, is he limping or crouched like he's in pain? Is he eating less than he usually does at your place?

Can you post a picture?
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post – Cat Articles

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you live in an area that has TNR groups? If you do you might be able to get vet recommendations from them. Even though he isn't a feral a vet used to caring for vets might be your best bet. If getting him in a carrier would be a problem there is also trapping which a TNR group can advise you on, might let you borrow one of their traps.