Cat having surgery - needs to be in a small confined space for 6-8 weeks. Where can I buy something to keep him in?

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Apparently I need to get some sort of kennel like thing for my cat - not a tiny thing but something that has room for his litter box, food, water and a bed but not too much more room. He is orthopedic surgery and will need to be kept from any jumping, climbing, running, playing, etc for 6-8 weeks. Does anyone know where you can purchase or maybe even rent something like this I can install in one of my rooms?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used a dog kennel when my cat had to be confined. My vet loaned me one for the time period I needed it but you can usually find cheap ones on second hand websites or in stores. Links was just big enough for a small litter box, bed and his food bowls. Since he had a cast on, I butchered the litter box to make it low sided. I also was cleaning the whole thing every time he used the litter box because litter would get everywhere (and he loudly yelled about the mess). We would put his carrier up to the door for him to transfer to, then clean it and put him back. A lot of times, he would want to stay in the carrier for a while so we'd carry him around the house with us until he mowed to go back to the kennel.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat is rather boisterous I would not consider a folding, lightweight crate. When he panics it may capsize and he'll refuse to go in it again. I have always used dog kennels, preferring those which open on the longer side with a sliding grid.

My crate: not a good photo as it's not in use at the moment and is under a table in the basement with all my other emergency equipment.

I used a kitten litter-box (or a slightly larger one we'd bought for a rabbit) on the one side and lots of old blankets on the other. It was best not to leave food or water permanently in the kennel as it always got tipped over. If I had to keep a cat for 6 to 8 weeks in a crate, I would seriously consider having 2 crates, one in use and one being cleaned. The second one could be smaller and will be sufficient while the larger one is being cleaned. Out of the kitten season, I can usually borrow one from the cat shelter - they are only needed for sick ferals, who have to be confined while being given medication and for taming feral kittens. A crate, with the opening at one of the narrower ends, is much more difficult to clean without taking it apart every time. Look for secondhand crates and kennels before you order a new one!

I hope your cat recovers quickly, good luck!

CIMG6892.JPG