Cat having seizures

Kathy Bingle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 17 year old, always healthy cat has had two seizures, two weeks apart, and the vet has prescribed anti-seizure, steroid, and antibiotic meds. No clear reason why seizures are occurring. I’m concerned about meds side effects vs seizures occurring every so often. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our 17 year old, always healthy cat has had two seizures, two weeks apart, and the vet has prescribed anti-seizure, steroid, and antibiotic meds. No clear reason why seizures are occurring. I’m concerned about meds side effects vs seizures occurring every so often. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!
Hello K Kathy Bingle and welcome to TCS! I am so sorry your cat is going through this. I don't have a lot of experience in this matter, and your vet should give you more information, I think. Our little Moti angel had a seizure and our vet said she may have had a stroke. Her head and neck area were at a strange angle for a few days, and then it corrected. She was going into chronic renal failure at this point and I learned how to give subcutaneous fluid therapy. We were able to have 7 good months together after her diagnosis. Not at all saying that this is what is happening with your sweet cat, but this is my only experience of seizures. Heartfelt *PRAYERS* and best thoughts of wellbeing going up, and out, for your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kathy Bingle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! So far our cat has acted normal after each of the two seizures.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. No experience with seizures, but there are a lot of things that might be health related that aren't actually seizures, especially in older cats. What kind of seizures - convulsing, staring, jerking, etc.? Be prepared to take a video of the next one, god forbid there is one, so that you can share that with your vet.

Ditto about the full scope blood work needing to be done. There might even be a nutritional (vitamin deficiency) aspect, or perhaps even a chemical/enzyme imbalance.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did your vet check your kitty's thyroid levels? Thyroid disease can cause unexplained seizures and is fairly common in older cats.