Cat having issues pooping after birth

Bonniexelaine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in a pregnant cat (I actually didn’t expect her to be pregnant when I found her so it was a bit of a surprise!) and she gave birth to 7 kittens a week ago. She’s a great mother and still feeds them regularly. However, I’ve noticed that she smells terrible around her rear end. She is seriously stinking up the room, and she hasn’t pooped for about 2 days. I’ve been feeding her a lot more since she’s given birth, more than double what she usually gets and she’s still looking a tad skinny. Her diet mainly consists of wet food and a little bit of dry food to snack on between cans. She has access to plenty of water. I was planning on supplementing her with some scrambled eggs and other things I’ve been recommended, however, due to this new problem I’m afraid to feed her anything out of the ordinary. Is it time to take her to the vet? Or is there something I can do to help her? I am led to believe it could be caused by the big increase in food. I feed her whenever she’s hungry, as she’s feeding 7 kittens on her own. I also purchased higher end wet food in hopes she would get more nutrition out of it. Of course I could be wrong. To be frank it will be difficult for me to afford to take her immediately, I am a college student and I’ve already set back some money to get her spayed as soon as she’s finished nursing her kittens. As well as exams/shots for her kittens. If absolutely necessary I will figure out a way, I just wanted to check in and see if anyone knew how urgent this situation is, and if I can do anything to help her before I haul her up to the vet. Thank you very much.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’ll want to buy glycerin suppositories at a pharmacy. Shave off a cat-sized piece and insert it. It should stimulate a poop in 20-30 minutes. If not, insert another.

If you take her to a vet they would likely perform an enema. Hopefully that is not necessary.

She also may need worming or a treatment for parasites. First get her pooping again.

B Bonniexelaine

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wanted to add that it’s not unusual that a formerly stray cat would have GI issues once she is taken in and is eating quality wet food. It takes time for the system to adjust, even though this is what she needs nutrition-wise. Adding the powder from a probiotic capsule to 1 or 2 of her wet food meals daily may serve to help right her gut bacteria.

I went through this with a pregnant cat I took in 6 years ago. Her poop smelled strong and nasty. Over time and with probiotics it became normal. Her system adjusted. I still have her as well as her 4 children.

I also took in 2 brother/sister stray kittens a neighbor brought to me who were about 4 months old back in October. Their poops were very smelly and sometimes runny,They were also starving and ate like pigs. They’ve since been spayed and neutered, had shots, been wormed, etc., and their poops have improved in smell. Wet food produces smellier poops than dry food, but cats really need wet food, especially new moms and kittens.

Add the probiotic and get her pooping and she should improve over time. I know your funds are limited as a college student so I want to thank you for all that you are doing to help her and her babies! :)

B Bonniexelaine