Cat hates my kid

beephensley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a year-old black and white cat, neutered, male, declawed. He HATES my 10-year-old daughter. She has never mistreated him and even buys him toys to encourage play. The cat waits for her to come out of her room in the morning and attacks her legs. This is not predator/prey. When she's sitting quietly doing her homework, he goes for the throat. When I cuddle with her, he attacks me.

I have another child he doesn't attack. And he doesn't attack my husband either. We have a new puppy we've had since June, but this behavior has been since before then. My theory is he sees her as a rival for my affection. Im considering re-homing him. Any advice? I real liege he is trying to kill her!

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Did you get him as an older cat, or was he raised up from kittenhood with your daughter?  A friend of mine got a cat that did this very thing, but he was an older cat that had apparently been in a home where he was mistreated by very young children.  If you adopted him, can you find out any history on him?

You say it's not predator/prey....could it be fear aggression by any chance?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beephensley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We got him as a kitten. It is her cat. They seemed to have bonded immediately. I don't think it's fear when he goes looking for her or when there's no drama, sitting quietly, go for the jugular.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beephensley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
By contrast he waits outside my door every morning, climbs onto my shoulder, and purr-chirps while he marks me all over with his chin.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It does indeed sound like he is jealous of your daughter and fixated on you.  That being said, I have no immediate solutions to offer.